|Art Garfunkel Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 5, 1941|
Art Garfunkel is an American singer, actor, and poet who is best remembered as one half of the folk-rock duo, Simon & Garfunkel. His collaboration with Paul Simon has produced hit singles like The Sound of Silence (1965), Bridge over Troubled Water (1970), The Boxer (1969), etc. He has more than 50k followers on Facebook.
Arthur Ira Garfunkel
New York City, New York, United States
Manhattan, New York, United States
Art studied at Forest Hills High School with Paul Simon.
He attended Columbia University and graduated in Architecture. While there, he was a member of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity.
He received a bachelor’s degree in Art History from Teachers College, Columbia University in 1965. He earned his M.A. in Mathematics Education in 1967 and began work on his doctorate but dropped out due to his music career.
Singer, Actor, Poet
- Father – Jacob Garfunkel (Actor, Salesman)
- Mother – Rose Pearlman
- Siblings – Jules Garfunkel (Older Brother), Jerome Garfunkel (Younger Brother)
- Others – Julius B. Garfunkel (Paternal Grandfather), Molly Glickman (Paternal Grandmother), Abraham Pearlman (Maternal Grandfather), Jennie Spivack (Maternal Grandmother), Lou Pearlman (Maternal Cousin Brother) (Record Producer)
Art is represented by –
- United Talent Agency in California
Reckoning PR in California
Folk, Pop, Rock
- Columbia Records
- Manhattan Records
- Atco Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Art has dated –
- Linda Marie Grossman (1972-1975) – He was married to Linda Marie Grossman from October 1, 1972, to 1975.
- Laurie Bird (1974-1979) – Garfunkel began dating actress and photographer Laurie Bird in March 1974. They were together until her untimely suicide in June 1979.
- Penny Marshall (1980-1983) – In 1980, the All I Know singer got involved with actress and director Penny Marshall. Their relationship lasted until 1983.
- Kim Cermak (1985-Present) – Art married model Kim Cermak on September 18, 1988. They have 2 sons together – James “Arthur Jr.” Garfunkel (b. December 15, 1990) and Beau Daniel Garfunkel (b. October 5, 2005), who was born via surrogacy.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
Wild curly hair
The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel was used in the endorsement for ‘Volkswagen’ in 2019.
Art Garfunkel Favorite Things
- Album – Rumors (by Fleetwood Mac)
- Pop Song – Here, There and Everywhere (by The Beatles)
- Song To Sing – Perfect Moment
- Memory As A Singer – The concert at Central Park in 1981
- Venues To Perform In – Carnegie Hall, Royal Albert Hall
- Simon & Garfunkel Song – Bridge over Troubled Water
Source – IMDb, CornellSun.com, PalmBeachIllustrated.com, BlueRailroad.Wordpress.com
Art Garfunkel Facts
- Before finding success as Simon & Garfunkel, the duo had released songs as Tom & Jerry (1956-1962).
- Their single Mrs. Robinson was featured in the 1967 film, The Graduate. Simon & Garfunkel also contributed to the soundtrack of the film.
- His role as Sandy in Mike Nichols’ Carnal Knowledge (1971) earned him a ‘Best Supporting Actor’ nomination at the Golden Globes.
- Art has been a lifelong supporter of the baseball team, Philadelphia Phillies.
Featured Image by Adam Schartoff / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0