|Asha Bhosle Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||September 8, 1933|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Asha Bhosle is an Indian playback singer, entrepreneur, actress, and television personality known for her work in Indian cinema and for being one of the most influential and successful singers in the industry.
Goar, Sangli, Sangli State, British India (Present-day Maharashtra, India)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Asha studied at Balmohan Vidyamandir.
Playback Singer, Entrepreneur, Actress, Television
- Father – Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar (Theatre Actor, Natya Sangeet Musician, Hindustani Classical Vocalist)
- Mother – Shevanti
- Siblings – Meena Khadikar (Sister), Lata Mangeshkar (Older Sister) (Playback Singer, Music Director, Producer), Usha Mangeshkar (Sister) (Singer), Hridaynath Mangeshkar (Brother) (Music Director)
- Others – Shraddha Kapoor (Great Grand-Niece) (Actress, Dancer)
Filmi, Qawwali, Ghazals, Folk Bhajans, Pop, Classical, Gurbani, Nazrul Geeti, Rabindra Sangeet
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Asha has dated –
- Ganpatrao Bhosle (1949-1960) – Asha tied the knot with her personal secretary Ganpatrao Bhosle in 1949, against the will of her family. Asha was 16 years old at the time whilst Ganpatrao was 31 years old. However, they separated in 1960, as she was being mistreated by Ganpatrao and his side of the family. Upon getting suspicious of her, Ganpatrao sent her back to her maternal home along with their two children Varsha Bhosle and Hemant Bhosle. At the time, she was also pregnant with their third child, Anand Bhosle.
- Rahul Dev Burman (1980-1994) – Asha married music director and actor Rahul Dev Burman in 1980. Rahul was 6 years junior. They remained married until his death in 1994.
Race / Ethnicity
Asha has Marathi and Konkani ancestry on her father’s side and Gujarati ancestry on her mother’s side.
Her soprano voice range and versatility
Asha has appeared in commercials for several brands such as WhiteHat Jr.
Asha Bhosle Favorite Things
- Thing To Do In Her FreeTime – Cooking
- Tracks Of All-Time – Yeh kya jageh hai doston and In aankhon ki masti ke (Umrao Jaan, 1981), Jhoote naina bole saachi batiyaan (Lekin, 1991), Kaali ghata chhaye (Sujata, 1959), Aaiye meherban (Howrah Bridge, 1958, Shok nazar ki bijliyan (Woh Kaun Thi, 1964, Roz roz aankhon tale (Jeeva, 1986), Raat akeli hai (Jewel Thief, 1967), Chura liya hai (Yaadon Ki Baraat, 1973)
Source – HindustanTimes
Asha Bhosle Facts
- She was nine years old when her father sadly passed away.
- Following her father’s death, Asha and her family moved from Pune to Kolhapur and then to Mumbai.
- Her sister Lata Mangeshkar began singing and acting to financially support her family.
- Asha made her debut as a singer with her single Chala Chala Nav Bala for the Marathi film Majha Bal (1943).
- Bhosle’s first husband Ganpatrao died in 1966.
- Her son Hemant died of cancer in 2015 and previously her daughter Varsha committed suicide on October 8, 2012. She was 56 at the time.
- She is a non-vegetarian.
- Asha has received various prestigious awards over the years including the Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2000), Padma Vibhushan (2008), Banga Bibhushan (2018), and the Maharashtra Bhushan (2021).
Featured Image By Asha Bhosle / Instagram