Paul Benjamin Mendelsohn
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ben Mendelsohn was enrolled at the Heidelberg Primary School and then at Eltham High & Banyule High Schools.
He also attended a boarding school, Mercersburg Academy in Pennsylvania.
Finally, he took his acting training at the Heidelberg Theater Company.
- Father – Frederick Arthur Oscar Mendelsohn (Medical Researcher)
- Mother – Carole Ann Ferguson
- Siblings – Tom Mendelsohn (Younger Brother), David Mendelsohn (Younger Brother). He also has two half-brothers from his father’s second marriage.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ben Mendelsohn has dated –
- Kate Fischer (1993) – Ben Mendelsohn went out with the actress Kate Fischer after having fallen for her during the shooting of the movie, Sirens (1993). However, their relationship didn’t last long as Kate decided to dump Ben due to his drug habit.
- Nadine Garner (1994) – Mendelsohn hooked up with another Australian actress Nadine Garner in 1994 after having worked together in the drama movie, Metal Skin (1994).
- Justine Clarke – Ben was reported to have dated fellow actress Justine Clarke before she decided to dump him and get married to Jack Finsterer. She would later work with Ben in the TV series, Tangle in 2009.
- Adelaide Clemens – Ben had a short RUMORed affair with Adelaide Clemens, whom he had met while working in the TV series, Love My Way.
- Kate Beahan (2010) – Mendelsohn was reported to be in a relationship with actress Kate Beahan after she joined him on the red carpet at the USA Australia Week 2010 Black Tie Gala.
- Emily Barclay (2010) – Mendelsohn hooked up with much younger actress Emily Barclay in 2010. He was pictured kissing New Zealand native in the foyer of Belvoir St Theatre during the opening night of the play, That Face. In May 2010, they were pictured together on the red carpet at the Time Out Sydney & Inside Film premiere of Animal Kingdom.
- Emma Forrest (2012-2016) – After dating for some time, Mendelsohn got married to Hollywood screenwriter Emma Forrest in June 2012 at the Chateau Marmont hotel. In an interview, Ben would later call Emma his lucky charm and revealed that he relies on her guidance. In 2014, she gave birth to a daughter, Carolina. However, they went separate ways on December 1, 2016. She filed for divorce about three weeks later citing irreconcilable differences.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
Tall and lanky body
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 41 in or 104 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 13 in or 33 cm
- Waist – 33 in or 84 cm
In 2008, he starred in a TV commercial for the promotion of the Rugby League.
He was also featured in the TV and Internet campaign for the Get to Know Anxiety.
His religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- His critically acclaimed role in the Netflix drama thriller series, Bloodline.
- Being cast in a major role in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016).
He made his first film appearance in 1986 in The Still Point as Peter.
First TV Show
Ben Mendelsohn first appeared in Network Ten’s series Special Squad in a guest role in 1984.
His workout routine and diet plan aren’t known.
Ben Mendelsohn Favorite Things
- Music Album – Follow the Leader by Eric B. & Rakim
- Book – Darkness at Noon (By Arthur Koestler)
- Actor – Robert De Niro
Source – Vanity Fair, IMDb
Ben Mendelsohn Facts
- During his school days, Mendelsohn decided to take drama class because he felt it would be an easy subject. He instantly fell in love with it.
- He wanted to get his front teeth removed to prepare for his role in The Place Beyond the Pines (2012). The director had accepted his offer, but producer intervened before he got the procedure done.
- Ben is an active supporter of the Mirabel Foundation, which is a charity working to support children, who have been abandoned by drug-addicted parents or have been orphaned.
- He was expelled from the Mercersburg Academy in Pennsylvania just 6 months after joining for burning certain things.
- He learned method acting by reading Uta Hagen’s Respect for Acting, which was suggested by her Prime Time co-star and mentor, Nina Landis.
- During his teenage years, he had memorized every line from the famous Taxi Driver movie just because Robert De Niro was his acting idol.
- He doesn’t like watching his own movies. When he attended the Cannes screening of Killing Them Softly (2012), he had gone 6 years without watching his movie.
- On the last day of the shooting of Map of the Human Heart (1992), he suffered a serious back injury.
- To focus on his acting career, he dropped out of school in his mid-teens and used to work as a busboy at the nightclub in Melbourne to make ends meet.
- By his own admission, he had a troubled childhood and has struggled with his drug addiction for most of his adult life. However, he has been sober for years now.
- After The Year My Voice Broke (1987), he is often mistaken for actor Noah Taylor in public.
- He doesn’t have any social media account.