|Juan Pablo Raba Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||January 14, 1977|
Juan Pablo Raba is a Colombian actor and model. He played a minor role of Isidrio in the TV series Marido y mujer (Husband and Wife) in 1999. In 2000, he was offered the leading role of Andres Velásquez in the TV series La reina de Queens (Queen of Queens). He also appeared in the theatrical play Chronicle of a Death Foretold in the past. In 2001, Venezuelan channel RCTV offered him the co-starring role of Luis Ángel Perdomo in the telenovela Viva La Pepa (Long Live Pepa). This role and the move to Venezuela opened multiple avenues for Juan. From 2001 to 2002, he played Alejandro Rondón in the Venezuelan telenovela La niña de mis ojos (The Girl of my Dreams). The role and his performance can be termed as a breakthrough moment in Juan’s career.
He has also played various other roles such as Orestes Villanueva Mercuri in Mi gorda bella (My Fat Bella) (2002), Aureliano Paz in Estrambótica Anastasia (Strange Anastasia) (2004), Esteban Marin in Por amor a Gloria (For the Love of Gloria) (2005), Carlos in Una Abuela Virgen (A Virgin Grandmother) (2007), Franco in Tiempo final (Final Time) (2008), and Ray Hernandez in Mental (2009). In 2015, Juan joined the cast for the third season of Marvel’s TV series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the role of Joey Gutiérrez. Juan gained true international recognition after his portrayal of Gustavo Gaviria in the first 2 seasons of the Netflix hit show Narcos. From 2017 to 2018, he appeared as Ricky “Buddha” Ortiz in the TV show Six. He has also been featured in movies such as The 33 (2015), Shot Caller (2017) and Peppermint (2018).
Juan Pablo Raba
Santafe de Bogotá, Colombia
Miami, Florida, United States
Juan Raba graduated from Colegio Nueva Granada in Bogota. He moved to Spain after his parents’ divorce. There he earned a baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree from a local college and began studying Advertising but did not complete his studies as he wanted to pursue acting.
Upon his return to Colombia, he trained under noted actor Edgardo Roman. He continued his studies at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in New York.
- Father – Ricardo Raba (Businessman)
- Mother – María Eugenia Vidal (Writer, Art Restorer)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Juan has dated –
- Paula Quinteros (2003–2007) – Juan started dating Colombian journalist Paula Quinteros in 2003. They married in December in the same year in a ceremony in Los Roques, Venezuela. In 2006, the pair parted ways and ultimately divorced in 2007.
- Marjorie de Sousa (2007) – After his divorce with Paula, Juan dated Venezuelan TV actress Marjorie de Sousa. Their relationship lasted a little over a year.
- Mónica Fonseca (2011-Present) – In the year 2011, Juan started dating Colombian-American television presenter Mónica Fonseca. The same year, in August, they married in a private ceremony in Miami. They have a son named Joaquín Raba Fonseca who was born in July 2012. Their daughter named Josephine Joie Raba Fonseca was born in 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
- Rugged Beard
- Short-Cropped Hair
- Thick Nose
Best Known For
Portraying the role of Gustavo Gaviria in the hit Netflix series Narcos from 2015 to 2016
Juan made his feature film debut as Carlos in the 2007 movie Una Abuela Virgen (A Virgin Grandmother).
First TV Show
Juan made his TV show debut as Eduardo in 1998 on the TV series Amor En Forma (Shape of Love).
Juan is a cycling enthusiast and has taken up mountain biking. He has made it an integral part of his exercise routine.
Juan Pablo Raba Favorite Things
- Pets – Dogs
- Book – One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- Actors – Ricardo Darín, Edgar Ramírez
- Song – New York, New York by Liza Minnelli
- Movie – Charlie Wilson’s War (2007)
- Cuisine – Spanish
- Restaurants – La Cervecería Catalana in Barcelona, Casa Lucio in Madrid, NN in Bogota, Carbone in New York
- TV Personality – Jimmy Fallon
- Movie Director – Stanley Kubrick
- Author – Ayn Rand
- Politician – Barack Obama
- Instagram Accounts – Red Bull, National Geographic, GoPro, Josh Ostrovsky, Pinkbike, A Designers Mind, History In Pictures, Vital MTB
- Musician – Sting
Source – El Espectador, TheNewPotato.com
Juan Pablo Raba Facts
- He was born and raised in Bogota, Colombia but after the divorce of his parents, he moved to Spain, where he was raised by his Argentinian father.
- Juan is an avid cyclist.
- He worked as a model for a while, featured in many advertising campaigns, appeared in parades, and started auditioning for acting roles.
- Colombian Television network Caracol TV encouraged him to take acting lessons. He followed their advice and underwent training with noted actor Edgardo Roman.
- After his acting training, Juan auditioned again and received his first acting role within 2 months. Caracol TV offered him a co-starring part of Eduardo in the TV series Amor En Forma (Shape of Love) (1998).
- Juan and his family have been active in helping out human and animal rights organizations. He serves as an ambassador for the Juanfe Foundation, a non-profit organization, that aims to improve the quality of life of poor children.
- In his youth, Juan worked in several part-time jobs, including waiting, bartending, and managing a club.
- Juan has a dog named Partner.
- When Juan was in Argentina, he worked as a sailboat crew member.
- Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by MiamiFilmFestival / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0