Gold Coast, Australia
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Tomic went to Southport State School, a primary school located in Southport, Australia. After he graduated from Southport State, Bernard accepted the sports scholarship from The Southport School and attended his high school years there.
Professional Tennis Player
Right Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
- Father – John (Ivica) Tomic (Tennis Coach and Former Taxi Driver)
- Mother – Adisa Ady Tomic (Biomedical Scientist)
- Siblings – Sara Tomic (Younger Sister) (Professional Tennis Player)
Bernard is signed with IMG with which he penned a deal in March 2006 at the age of 13.
6 ft 5 in or 196 cm
91 kg or 201 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bernard Tomic dated –
- Donay Meijer (2011-2012) – In 2011, Bernard commenced dating the Gold Coast model Donay Meijer. Their romance lasted until March 2012, when both celebrities decided to split.
- Chelsey Grbcic (2013) – In 2013, Tomic had a brief relationship with Chelsey Grbcic.
Race / Ethnicity
His father is a Croatian and his mother a Bosnian.
- Towering height
- Huge wingspan
Tomic has been sponsored by Nike, Head, and Yonex.
He wears a cross in every match.
Best Known For
The talent he possesses as a player, towering height, and for being a two-time grand slam singles champion while being a junior.
Tomic is also known for winning several tournaments since he turned professional including 2014, 2015 Claro Open Colombia, 2013 Apia International Sydney, and others.
First Professional Tennis Match
He debuted for the national team of Australia at the 2010 Chinese Taipei Davis Cup. At the time, he was only 17 years and 135 days old.
First Grand Slam Singles Wins
You can check Tomic’s recent title wins on ATP World Tour.
Bernard has been coached by several trainers including Neil Guiney (When Tomic was 7 and a half years old), John Tomic (As a child), and Tony Roche (Starting from 2015).
Bernard Tomic Favorite Things
- Surface – Grass
Source – ATPWorldTour.com
Bernard Tomic Facts
- Tomic’s parents left Yugoslavia few years before his birth.
- In 1996 when Bernard was only 3 years old, his family moved to Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.
- He supports a local professional rugby team called Gold Coast Titans and a football team called Brisbane Lions.
- When Tomic first started competing as a junior, he stated that he would be the next number 1 tennis player in the world, claimed to become the youngest Davis Cup player from Australia and win all Grand Slam tournaments.
- He won the 2009 US Open junior tournament. In the finals, Bernard managed to beat Chase Buchanan of USA.
- Bernard turned professional tennis player at the age of 15.
- Tomic won his first ATP title during 2013 Hopman Cup by defeating Kevin Anderson in three sets in the finals.
- Bernard played for Australia at the 2012 London Olympic Games. He played against Kei Nishikori in the first match of the tournament and lost in two straight sets.
- Tomic was the winner of the World Tennis Challenge with his Australasia team in 2010.
- He once requested his father to be ejected from the crowd during one of his matches at 2012 Miami Masters because of him being annoying.
- In January 2012, Tomic was stopped and fined by the police on the Gold Coast for three times in the same day. He had a situation when he ran from the officers and locked himself in his home.
- In November 2012, Bernard was charged with $750 for not stopping (while driving in his BMW M3) when asked by the police. He was also put on a good-behavior bond that lasted for 12 months.
- In July 2015, Bernard was incarcerated by the police after he first refused to be arrested. Eventually, all charges against Tomic were removed in October 2015.