|Bill Duke Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||February 26, 1943|
|Spouse||Shelia P. Moses|
Bill Duke is an American actor, director, screenwriter, and producer best known for his roles in action and drama genre usually in the role of law enforcement. The movies like Red Dragon (2002), Exit Wounds (2001), Action Jackson (1988) are the best examples for his interest in such movies. He has been in movies such as Commando, Predator, American Gigolo, No Man’s Land, Bird on a Wire, Menace II Society, Exit Wounds, Payback, and X-Men: The Last Stand and Mandy which were all accepted by the fans for his brilliant performances. Apart from acting, he has also directed several well-known movies. Some of the works he has directed include Cagney & Lacey, Hill Street Blues, The Twilight Zone, American Playhouse, Deep Cover, A Rage in Harlem, and Sister Act 2.
William Henry Duke, Jr.
Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
New York City, United States
Bill Duke attended Franklin D. Roosevelt High School in Hyde Park, New York, United States. He later attended Duchess Community College in Poughkeepsie for creative writing and performing arts.
He also studied in the Boston University for his BA in drama, New York University’s Tisch School of Arts and the AFI Conservatory.
Actor, Director, Producer, Screenwriter
- Father – William Henry Duke, Sr.
- Mother – Ethel Louise née Douglas
- Sibling – Yvonne Duke Hampton (Sister)
- Others – Nola Hampton (Niece), Helen Douglas (Cousin), Earl Hansen (Cousin)
Bill Duke is managed by –
- Duke Media Foundation (Foundation), Los Angeles, California, USA
- Pantheon Talent Group, Llc. (Talent Agency), Los Angeles, California, USA
- Priluck Company (Manager), Los Angeles, California, USA
- Abrams Garfinkel Margolis Bergson (Legal Representative), Burbank, California, USA
- Brady, Brannon & Rich Talent (BBR) (Talent Agent Personal Appearance), Los Angeles, California, USA
6 ft 4½ in or 194.5 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bill Duke has dated –
- Whoopi Goldberg – Duke has been linked to Whoopi, an American actress, comedian, author, and television host, sometimes in the past. Although there is not much information available about their relationship.
- Shelia P. Moses – Duke was rumored to be dating writer Shelia P. Moses in the past.
Race / Ethnicity
Bill Duke is of African-American descent.
- Physically imposing frame
- Closely shaved head
- Eye bags
Bill Duke hasn’t endorsed any brands yet.
Best Known For
- Acting in films such as Car wash, American Gigolo, Commando, The Limey, Exit Wounds, Menace II Society, and Predator among others
- Appearing in TV shows like Kojak, Lost, Every Man for Himself, Battlestar Galactica, Cold case among others
- Directing movies like The Killing Floor, A Rage in Harlem, Deep Cover, Hoodlum, The Cemetery Club, and Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit among others
- Directing TV shows like The Golden Spiders: A Nero Wolfe Mystery, Prince Among Slaves, Dallas, Hill Street Blues, and Miami Vice just to name a few
- Lending his voice to a cartoon character in The Boondocks
Bill Duke made his theatrical film debut as Duane in the 1976 film Car Wash.
First TV Show
Bill Duke made his TV show debut as Mr. Sands on ABC Afterschool Specials in 1972.
Bill Duke Favorite Things
- Books – An Empire Of Their Own (Neal Gabler), 1984 (Author George Orwell), The Hero With A Thousand Faces (Author Joseph Campbell), The War of Art (Steven Pressfield), The Dip, The Purple Cow.
Source – YouTube
Bill Duke Facts
- Duke has appeared on a Busta Rhymes‘s music video Dangerous.
- His documentaries, Dark Girls and Light Girls were two of the most successful documentaries on Oprah’s OWN network.
- Former President Bill Clinton appointed him to the National Endowment of Humanities.
- He held a position in the Board of the California State Film Commission due to an appointment by former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- He has a “Lifetime Achievement Tribute” bestowed upon him by the Directors Guild of America.
- His height was an impediment when he was starting his career because it typecast him in the roles of a bad guy. To avoid typecasting, he turned to direct movies and only chose to act in roles that he felt suited him.
- He has appeared in a musical Ain’t Supposed to Die a Natural Death by Melvin Van Peebles.
- His company Duke Media has been in existence for over 30 years. They are looking to expand to other business like apps, games among other virtual experiences. His business teaches the youth how to make informed decisions and financial responsibility.
- He is an introvert.
- Transcendental meditation saved him from a life of drugs. He meditates every day.
- He was in the jury in the 1992 Sundance Film Festival.
- In 2000, he was the Chairperson of the Radio-TV-Film department at Howard University.
- His favorite film is the 1992 Clint Eastwood film Unforgiven.
- He does not write much anymore because it is a desolate experience.
- The Killing Floor (1985) was the first movie he directed.
- He has written a memoir Bill Duke: My 40-Year Career on Screen and behind the Camera.
- He has no children.
- His wife Sheila Moses is an author whose subjects include comedian Dick Gregory and The Legend of Buddy Bush. The latter won her a nomination for the National Book Award and NAACP Image Award.
- Follow him on Twitter.
Featured Image by Bill Duke / Twitter