|Binny Bansal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Year of Birth||1982/1983|
Binny Bansal is an Indian entrepreneur who is best known as the co-founder of Flipkart Private Limited, an Indian e-commerce company (established in 2007) that initially focused on online book sales before expanding into product categories such as consumer electronics, fashion, home essentials, groceries, and lifestyle products. He served as the company’s chief operating officer until mid-January 2016 and was then promoted to the post of CEO. By March 2017, Flipkart held a 39.5% market share in the Indian e-commerce industry. In 2018, Walmart Inc. (an American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores in the United States) acquired a 77% stake in Flipkart for USD 16 billion – reportedly the world’s biggest deal for an internet firm at that time. After the acquisition, Binny assumed the role of Flipkart‘s chairman and continued as the group’s CEO. His 5.5% stake in the company, at that time, was valued at about USD 1 billion. He resigned in November 2018 due to allegations of personal misconduct. Binny reduced his stake in Flipkart in 2022 – owning just about 2% of the company and a board seat. An angel investor in multiple startups, he has helped back nearly 50 companies.
Binny Bansal was born in the year 1982/1983.
Bengaluru, Bayaluseeme, Karnataka, India
Binny had attended the St. Anne’s Convent School, a co-educational secondary school in his hometown of Chandigarh (a city, district, and union territory (a union territory is a type of administrative division in India which is governed, in part or in whole, by the Union Government of India) that serves as the joint capital of the two neighboring northern Indian states of Punjab and Haryana).
After his high school graduation in 2001, he earned admission to the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, a public institute of technology located in New Delhi, India. It was the 5th of the country’s renowned IITs to be established (in 1961) and is recognized as an ‘Institute of National Importance’ as well as an ‘Institute of Eminence’ by the Government of India. He graduated from there in 2005 with a degree in computer science and engineering.
- Father – His father retired as the chief manager of a bank.
- Mother – His mother used to work as a government sector employee.
On June 18, 2023, Binny Bansal’s net worth was $1.4 billion according to Forbes.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Binny has dated –
- Trisha Vasudeva (2010-Present) – Binny married his long-term girlfriend Trisha Vasudeva in February 2010. The couple has a pair of twin sons together.
Race / Ethnicity
- Mildly stocky frame
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a thin beard or a light stubble
Binny Bansal Facts
- After graduating from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi in 2005, Binny worked with Sarnoff Corporation (a research and development company specializing in vision, video, and semiconductor technology) for about a year. There, he developed a lane sensor device for cars that would beep if the driver changed lanes without giving a signal/indication.
- Before co-founding Flipkart Private Limited in 2007, he had also worked for Amazon.com, Inc. (an American multinational technology company focusing on e-commerce, cloud computing, online advertising, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence) for about 9 months.
- Binny and Sachin, his co-founder at Flipkart Private Limited, share the same last name (Bansal) but are not related to each other as is commonly assumed. Besides their last name, they have other things in common too – both hail from Chandigarh and both were students of computer science engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. In 2019, he co-invested approximately INR 125 crores in the endowment fund of that institution.
- In October 2019, Binny invested USD 12.5 million in Mobikon, a software startup focused on the food and beverage industry. He is also an anchor investor in a venture firm called 021 Capital that focuses on investing in the fields of biotechnology, agricultural technology, and the Internet.
Featured Image by Times Now / Instagram