|Birdy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 15, 1996|
Birdy is an English singer, songwriter, and musician who was 12 years old when she emerged as the winner of the live music competition Open Mic UK in 2008. She has since released several albums, tracks, and extended plays which include Beautiful Lies, Birdy, Fire Within, Young Heart, Breathe, Piano Sketches, Skinny Love, Shelter, People Help the People, Keeping Your Head Up, Wings, Wild Horses, Words as Weapons, No Angel, Let It All Go (with Rhodes), 1901, Words, Light Me Up, and Loneliness. In addition to that, her music has been included on the soundtracks of movies like The Hunger Games (2012), Brave (2012), The Fault in Our Stars (2014), Beyond the Lights (2014), and The Edge of Seventeen (2016).
Jasmine Lucilla Elizabeth Jennifer van den Bogaerde
Lymington, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
Birdy took her GCSEs at Priestlands School in Lymington and has also studied at Durlston Court Prep School in Barton on Sea.
She then attended a sixth-form college called Brockenhurst College in Brockenhurst, New Forest, Hampshire to study A-levels, but dropped out later.
- Father – Rupert Oliver Benjamin van den Bogaerde (Writer)
- Mother – Hon. Sophie Patricia (née Roper-Curzon) (Concert Pianist)
- Siblings – Jake (Younger Brother) (b. 1997), Caitlin (Younger Sister) (b. 1999) (Singer), Moses (Older Half-Brother) (Drummer), Sam (Older Half-Brother)
- Others – Gareth Ulric van den Bogaerde (Paternal Grandfather), Jennifer Bruges (Paternal Grandmother), Captain John Christopher Ingram Roper-Curzon, the 20th Baron Teynham (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Scrymgeour-Wedderburn (Maternal Grandmother), Sir Dirk Bogarde (Great Uncle) (Actor)
She is signed to SL Artist Management.
Folk-pop, indie folk, indie rock, indie pop
Vocals, guitar, piano
She can also play the violin but is not good at it.
Lady of the Lake, 14th Floor, Warner Bros. Records, Atlantic
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
But, as per her Official Facebook Chat, she considers herself 5 ft 5 in or 165 cm.
55 kg or 121 pounds
Race / Ethnicity
She has Scottish, English, and Belgian ancestry.
- Intense soprano vocal range
- Emotional lyrics
34-26-33 in or 86-66-84 cm
8 (US) or 40 (EU) or 12 (UK)
9 (US) or 6.5 (UK) or 39.5 (EU)
Best Known For
Her singles “Skinny Love,” “People Help the People,” and “Wings.”
Birdy released her debut album Birdy on November 4, 2011 by Atlantic Records. The indie-folk album consists of 11 singles in the standard edition, giving it a total length of just over 44 minutes.
It peaked at #1 in many countries including Australia, Belgium, Netherlands. In the UK, it reached #13 and was certified as Gold.
Birdy Favorite Things
- Food – Carbonara
- TV Shows (Soaps) – Home and Away (1988-Present), Neighbours (1985-Present), EastEnders (1985-Present)
- Song From Her Sophomore Album “Fire Within” – All You Never Say
- Albums – Hopes and Fears by Keane, Tracy Chapman by Tracy Chapman, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac
- Justin Bieber Song – Boyfriend
- Book – Cleared for Take-Off
- Book Series – The Hunger Games
- Band – Keane
- Classical Artist – Fryderyk Chopin
- Jeff Buckley Song – Last Goodbye
- Destination – Paris (Just because of buildings)
- Movie – Brave (2012)
- Alt-J Song – Breezeblocks
- Actress – Emma Roberts
- Color – Blue
- Birdy learned piano when she was 7.
- Birdy started songwriting when she turned 8.
- She is from her dad’s second marriage. He earlier married the late Jacqueline Bond.
- Along with her other 4 siblings, Birdy grew up at the Pylewell Park estate (1500 acre land) of her maternal grandfather.
- Her mother has nine siblings. They used to live close to her house when she was growing up.
- If she weren’t a singer, she would have been a hairdresser or a writer.
- Her career started professionally in 2008.
- In 2008, when she was 12, Birdy won the Open Mic UK talent competition by performing her own song “So Be Free.”
- She listens to classical music as well as Adele and Lykke Li.
- She also likes cooking, especially carbonara.
- Once Birdy had to ban her mom from coming to her shows as she used to be more nervous than Birdy herself, which was not good for her just before a stage show.
- She used to be called “Birdy” since her childhood by her friends and family. This is because she used to open her mouth like a birth while being fed.
- She likes reading and has read “The Fault In Our Stars” by John Green.
- She gave the music to the 2010 horror thriller film, Ruiner.
- Her 3rd studio album Beautiful Lies was released on March 25, 2016, via Atlantic Records. It peaked at number #1 on the US Folk Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #4 on the UK Albums (OCC) chart, at number #5 on the US Top Alternative Albums (Billboard) chart, at number #9 on the US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) chart, and at number #68 on the US Billboard 200 chart. Also, it was certified ‘Gold’ by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).
- She has a celebrity crush on Robert Pattinson.
- On April 30, 2021, she released her 4th studio album titled Young Heart through Atlantic Records and it included tracks like Second Hand News, Voyager, Nobody Knows Me Like You Do, Celestial Dancers, New Moon, Deepest Lonely, Little Blue, Evergreen, and The Otherside. The Times praised the album for its “sentiments so uncynical and wide-eyed that it is impossible not to be charmed”.
- Visit her official website @ officialbirdy.com.