|Boyce Watkins Quick Info
|5 ft 10 in
|Date of Birth
|June 20, 1971
Boyce Watkins is an American author, economist, political analyst, and social commentator. He was a visiting scholar for the Barbara Jordan – Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs at Texas Southern University and is a former Visiting Fellow at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics and the Centre for European Economic Research, Manheim, Germany.
Boyce D. Watkins
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
He attended the University of Kentucky from where he received a small scholarship that was enough to pay for his tuition. He later went to Indiana University to begin pursuing his Ph.D.
Author, Economist, Political Analyst, Social Commentator
- Mother – Robin Couch
- Others – Larry Watkins (Step-Father)
He self-manages himself.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
91 kg or 200.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He met his first girlfriend when he was in senior high school. Six months after graduation, his girlfriend gave birth to their first and only child. At the time their child was born, he was still a freshman in college.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
Boyce Watkins Facts
- His mother remarried to Larry Watkins when he was only 3 years old.
- His adoptive father Larry was tough and a stern head of the household who joined the local police force at the age of 30.
- He struggled in school and used to earn very poor grades to the point that his teachers placed him in special education and told him he was not smart enough to be in college.
- Back in high school, he was a captain of his track team.
- He had landed a job at Taco Bell and many other fast-food restaurants.
- Despite settling down and having a family ahead of completing his college education, Watkins became even more motivated and fatherhood inspired him to work hard in school. During his first semester at the University of Kentucky, he obtained straight A grades which turned out to be the very first time to happen in his lifetime. From there, he began compiling numerous honors in college as well as winning various scholarships. Watkins completed college with a triple major in Finance, Economics, and Business.
- At the time he was a graduate student of the University of Kentucky, he became more involved with political activism.
- In 2004, he completed his first book titled Everything You Ever Want to Know About College – A Guide for Minority Students. The book was a major success which also led to his work in public scholarship.
- He has an ongoing feud with Bill O’Reilly from Fox News.
- He is an advocate for the rights of college athletes.
- With his position at Syracuse University and YourBlackWorld.com, he provides regular financial advice to a largely African-American audience. Watkins argues and stands for his beliefs about African-Americans needing to consider their financial independence to be part of their spiritual and social independence.
- He criticizes hip-hop rapper, Lil Wayne.
- He slammed the sports gear giant Adidas for its JS Roundhouse Mid shoe created with a shackle design.
- Watkins joined hands with hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons to co-author a letter urging President Barack Obama to end Ronald Reagan‘s “War on Drugs”. The letter had more than 175 signatures from top-billed personalities including business leaders, activists, celebrities, and scholars.
Featured Image by Boyce Watkins / Instagram