|Brian Bowen Smith Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 2, 1969|
|Spouse||Shea Bowen Smith|
Brian Bowen Smith is an American commercial and fine-art photographer who is best known for his portraits of celebrities that have been featured on the covers of several A-list magazines including Billboard, Essence, Women’s Health, The Hollywood Reporter, Men’s Health, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, People, GQ, Vanity Fair, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, and Glamour.
Brian Bowen Smith
Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Commercial and Fine-Art Photographer
He is represented by Copious Management, Talent Management Firm, Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Brian has dated –
- Shea Bowen Smith (2001-Present) – Brian had married his long-term girlfriend Shea in November 2001. They have a son together named Jona Bowen Smith (b. February 23, 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Sports a thick beard
- Has tattoos on both his hands
Brian Bowen Smith Facts
- Brian, before getting into photography, was an athlete and actor. He had been spotted by the legendary photographer Herbert Ritts Jr. aka Herb Ritts while he was performing as a pro athlete in a print ad campaign.
- Herb had then invited him to appear in a Gap ad campaign and had later become his mentor. He had helped Brian discover his personal photographic style and Brian had worked as Herb’s assistant for several years before pursuing his own photography career. Their association had lasted until Herb’s death in December 2002 due to complications from pneumonia.
- Besides editorial work, Brian has photographed key art for numerous TV series such as Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Chelsea Does, The Ridiculous 6, The Do Over, The Voice, House of Lies, Ray Donovan, Shameless, and Dice. He has also photographed posters and advertisements for feature films like The Intern (2015) and Central Intelligence (2016).
- He had once worked with renowned fashion designer Marc Jacobs on a campaign to raise awareness about skin cancer via multiple advertisements. Marc, in turn, had co-hosted the launch party of Brian’s book titled Projects (2013) that had featured a series of celebrity portraits that he had captured over the course of his career.
- He had made his fine-art photography debut in October 2014 with the launch of a photography exhibits collection called Wildlife. The collection had been displayed at the De Re Gallery in Los Angeles and had featured n*de images of several women whose faces were covered by children’s animal masks.
- The show was controversial and Brian had to assure the media that the identities of all the women who had participated in the production of this exhibition would be kept under the wraps. It was later revealed that several well-known celebrities and models had been featured in those photographs.
- A year later, in October 2015, he had released another collection of n*de photographs. Known as the Metallic Series, the photographs displayed in the show had been printed on large metallic plates.
- His hobbies and interests include surfing, snowboarding, and riding motorbikes.
Featured Image by Brian Bowen Smith / Instagram