|Calvin Johnson Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||September 29, 1985|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Calvin Johnson is a former American football wide receiver. Regarded as one of the greatest wide receivers of all time, he played in the National Football League (NFL) for 9 seasons with the Detroit Lions. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2018 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2021. Nicknamed “Megatron” after the Transformers character of the same name, he was known for having a rare combination of size, catching ability, and speed along with strength, leaping ability, and body control. He announced his retirement in 2016 and appeared as a contestant on the 23rd season of Dancing with the Stars.
Calvin Johnson Jr.
Newnan, Georgia, United States
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Calvin Johnson went to the Sandy Creek High School. After that, he got enrolled at the Georgia Institute of Technology and graduated with a major in management.
Former professional NFL player
- Father – Calvin Johnson (Freight Train Conductor)
- Mother – Arica Johnson (Project manager with the public school system in Atlanta)
- Siblings – Erica Johnson (Sister), Wali Johnson (Brother), Elan Johnson (Brother)
Calvin Johnson Jr. has been represented by Bus Cook Sports, Inc., Sports Management Company, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth has been $45 Million.
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
108 kg or 238 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Calvin Johnson has dated –
- Shallyn Blanton – Calvin dated Shallyn Blanton in the past and she gave birth to his son towards the end of 2013. In 2014, she even filed a police report against Calvin and his then-girlfriend Brittney McNorton. She claimed that by bringing Brittney along for his visit to meet his son, he had violated the visitation terms.
- Brittney McNorton – Calvin and Brittney met due to their work stint with Detroit Lions. As of 2014, she was the brand manager of the franchise, while he was one of their most decorated players. In June 2016, they got married in a lavish and romantic ceremony.
Race / Ethnicity
Calvin Johnson Jr. is of African-American descent.
- Tall and imposing body
- Buzzcut hairstyle
Calvin Johnson Jr. has appeared in TV commercials for the following brands –
- Atlantic coast conference
- NFL Play 60
- Acura TL
- Xbox One NFL Fantasy Football
He is a devout Christian and he has even got a Christian cross and crucifixion of Jesus Christ tattooed on his body.
Best Known For
His accomplished and successful NFL career, during which he went on to create several records with Detroit Lions. He was also one of their best-paid players during his playing career.
First NFL Match
In September 2007, he made his NFL debut in a match between Detroit Lions and Oakland Raiders. His side went on to win the match and he scored his first career touchdown in the match as well.
First TV Show
In 2010, Calvin Johnson made his first TV show appearance on the sports talk show, Rome Is Burning.
Calvin Johnson Favorite Things
- Food – Fish (Mahi Mahi)
- Actor – Will Smith
- TV Shows While Growing Up – The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)
- Movie – All About the Benjamins (2002)
- Musical Artist – Whitney Houston
- Music – Hip-hop
Source – DetroitLions.com
Calvin Johnson Facts
- In his honor, his alma mater Sandy Creek High School decided to retire his #81 jersey in October 2010.
- In 2016, he participated in the dance reality show, Dancing with the Stars and managed to finish in the 3rd position. For the season, he was partnered with professional dancer Lindsay Arnold.
- While in high school, along with being a letterman in football, he was also a standout player in baseball.
- When he was offered admission by the Georgia Institute of Technology, they wanted him to play baseball along with football. However, his mother was against it and asked him to pick any one sport.
- When he was playing high school football, he was the best-rated player in the state of Georgia. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution selected him as the first-team all-state selection (Class AAAA).
- By the time he graduated from college, he had become the first player in the history of Georgia Tech to have completed 2,927 receiving yards in their esteemed history.
- In the summer of 2006, he decided to work on a project that built solar latrines in Bolivia instead of getting involved in the construction of environment-friendly condos as he wanted to help the less fortunate.
- While playing college football, he was selected to the Freshman All-American team in 2004. He was also an All-American selection for 2005 and 2006.
- He holds the distinction of being the first player to reach 10,000 NFL receiving yards in 115 games.
- In 2007, he was picked by the Detroit Lions as a 2nd overall pick in the 1st round. They signed him to a contract worth $64 million, which was the biggest contract offered in the history of the franchise.
- He suffered a lower back injury in his debut season and had to take Vicodin twice in every game to complete the remaining season.
- Calvin is the first player in the history of the NFL to have at least 10 receptions in 4 consecutive games.
- In March 2012, he signed an 8-year extension with Detroit Lions with a guaranteed amount standing at $60 million. The overall value of the contract was $132 million, which was the highest for a wide receiver in NFL.
- He holds the distinction of being the first NFL player to have at least 100 receiving yards in 8 consecutive games.
- Johnson is the first Lions player to have received 83 touchdowns. He also holds the record for most touchdowns in a season with 16 touchdowns.
- He partnered with Harvard University in 2019 to study the effects of cannabis on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and its benefits in managing pain.
- He was named to the board of directors of the Michigan Cannabis Industry Association in August 2019.
Featured Image by Brooke Novak / Flickr / CC BY-2.0