|Carmelo Anthony Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||May 29, 1984|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Carmelo Anthony is an American professional basketball player who is best known for his career with the Los Angeles Lakers. As of June 2022, he has been named an All-NBA Team member 6 times and an NBA All-Star 10 times. In the past, Carmelo played college basketball for the Syracuse Orange and has also played for teams like Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets, Oklahoma City Thunder, New York Knicks, and Portland Trail Blazers. During the course of his career, he has been the recipient of honors like NCAA Final Four “Most Outstanding Player”, “USBWA National Freshman of the Year”, USA Basketball‘s “Male Athlete of the Year”, NBA‘s “Social Justice Champion Award”, and many more.
Carmelo Kyam Anthony
Melo, Melo Man
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
Upper West Side, New York City, New York, United States
Anthony went to Towson Catholic High School where he studied for 3 years. After his junior year at Towson, Carmelo received offers from colleges such as North Carolina and Syracuse and wanted to forgo his senior year in high school and join Syracuse. However, due to his bad grades and overall low score in the American College Testing (ACT), Anthony knew that he would need to work more on his grades in order to qualify for Syracuse.
First, Melo wanted to finish his senior year at Virginia Hargrave Military Academy but eventually enrolled himself into Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, a school coached by Steve Smith. After he graduated from Oak Hill Academy and scored a minimum of 18 in the ACT, Anthony decided to attend Syracuse University college program instead of entering the NBA Draft. Despite Carmelo’s statement about staying at Syracuse for two or three more seasons after his freshman year was over, he decided to leave the rest of his college years and participate in the 2003 NBA Draft.
Professional Basketball Player
- Father – Carmelo Anthony, Sr.
- Mother – Mary Anthony
- Siblings – Robert Anthony (Brother), Wilford Anthony (Brother), Daphne Anthony (Half-Sister), Michelle Anthony (Sister) (Died in 2010)
Melo is signed with Leon Rose.
Small Forward (Can play Power Forward too)
6 ft 8 in or 203 cm
109 kg or 240 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Carmelo Anthony dated –
- Sheneka Adams – RUMOR
- Kat Stacks – In the past, Melo was RUMORed to have an encounter with the Venezuelan socialite Kat Stacks.
- La La Vasquez (2003-2017; 2018-2021) – Melo commenced dating the American TV personality La La Vasquez in 2003. The couple got engaged on December 25, 2004 and after almost 6 years, they crowned their long-lasting romance with a marriage on July 10, 2010. Anthony and La La have one child, son Kiyan (b. March 7, 2007). The couple split in 2017 after Carmelo had started an extra-marital affair with a dancer at a gentlemen’s club in New York City, and that dancer was already 6 months pregnant with Carmelo’s child. the couple reconciled in December 2018. They officially filed for divorce in June 2021 and revealed that the split was completely amicable.
Race / Ethnicity
Carmelo’s father was of Puerto Rican descent and his mother Mary is born African-American.
- Small Mustache
- Big Body
- Towering height
- Often wears a headband and dry-fit sleeves during matches
- Scar over his left eye
14 (US) or 13.5 (UK)
Carmelo has signed endorsement contracts with Nike’s Jordan Brand, SMS Audio, DraftKings, Las Vegas Sands, etc.
He has also appeared in TV commercials for Degree Deodorants, NBA, Foot Locker, New York Knicks, Eastern Motors, Phiten, and others.
Best Known For
Being the third overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, right after LeBron James #1 and Darko Milicic #2. Melo is also known for being one of the best small forwards of his generation because of his deadly shooting ability and athleticism.
First Basketball Match
Melo had his NBA debut on October 29, 2003, in a match between Denver Nuggets and San Antonio Spurs. Carmelo who performed for the Nuggets spent 29 minutes on the court, scored 12 points, secured 7 rebounds and dished 3 assists. Eventually, Denver won the game with 80-72.
- Strong, Explosive
- Post Moves
- Big Body
- Ball Handling
Carmelo debuted as an actor with the sports romantic drama movie Amazing in 2013.
First TV Show
Other than basketball matches itself, Melo appeared in two episodes of the comedy-drama series Nurse Jackie in 2012 as Wayne.
Carmelo has trained with the well-known basketball trainer Idan Ravin who has also trained many other NBA professionals throughout his coaching career. There are numerous videos that can be found on Melo’s training regime, but we decided to include a few in this post –
Carmelo Anthony Favorite Things
- TV Shows (Growing Up) – Martin (1992-1997), Good Times (1974-1979), Sanford and Son (1972-1977)
- TV Shows of All-Time – The Wire (2002-2008), The Sopranos (1999-2007), Oz (1997-2003), Game of Thrones (2011-2019)
- NBA Players – Michael Jordan, Bernard King, Dr. J
- NFL Team – University of Texas
- Movies – The Godfather (1972), Goodfellas (1990), Casino (1995), Scarface (1983)
- Wine – Burgundy
- Vacation Place – Italy
- Holiday – Thanksgiving
Source – Complex.com, Jockbio.com, Us Magazine
Carmelo Anthony Facts
- His family shifted to Baltimore when he was 8 years old.
- In 2001, Melo was selected as The Baltimore Sun’s Metro Player of the Year.
- After his first year at Towson Catholic High School, Anthony was named All-Metropolitan Player of the Year, Baltimore Catholic League Player of the Year, and Baltimore’s County Player of the Year.
- In January 2012, Melo became a part of the list of 35 Greatest McDonald’s All-Americans.
- He was raised in the housing projects of Red Hook, Brooklyn and the Murphy Homes of West Baltimore.
- Melo averaged 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds per match during the 2002-2003 season at Syracuse University.
- In the 2003 NBA Draft, Anthony was selected as the 3rd overall pick by the Denver Nuggets.
- On February 13, 2004, Melo performed in the Got Milk? Rookie Challenge at the 2004 NBA All-Star Weekend.
- He finished second in the NBA Rookie of the Year voting behind Cleveland’s LeBron James.
- After the 2005-2006 NBA season, Carmelo penned a new five-year contract with the Nuggets worth 80 million dollars.
- On February 22, 2011, Anthony and Chauncey Billups were sent to the New York Knicks after a trade deal between Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves, and New York Knicks.
- On July 13, 2014, Melo penned a new five-year deal with the Knicks.
- He appeared in the 2015 NBA All-Star Game.
- He is the founder of Puerto Rico FC, a North American Soccer League expansion team.
- Melo has been featured on all the three EA Sports basketball franchises – NCAA March Madness, NBA Street, and NBA Live.
- In 2004, Carmelo was arrested at Denver International Airport after police officers found marijuana in his luggage. Eventually, he was released after his friend James Cunningham penned an affidavit and confirmed that the marijuana was his.
- On April 14, 2008, Anthony was charged with driving under the influence. Police officers stated that Melo drove through the lanes and did not lower his car lights. He was later suspended for two games by the Nuggets.
- He founded The Carmelo Anthony Youth Development Center on December 14, 2006.
- Melo donated 1.5 million dollars to the Living Classrooms Foundation.
- He gave a 3 million dollar check to Syracuse University for building a brand new basketball practice facility.
- In the past, Carmelo had served as a spokesman for the Family Resource Center.
- Anthony donated $35,000 to the relief efforts in 2004 after the tsunami caused by the Indian Ocean earthquake.
- In April 2021, he launched his production company, Creative 7. The company was named after his New York Knicks jersey number 7.
- He started Creative 7 to reveal people the stories of unsung heroes and champions.
- In late 2021, he released his memoir about his life before the NBA titled Where Tomorrows Aren’t Promised.
- Previously, he had also started his podcast What’s In Your Glass? where he talked about wine and educating people about wine culture.
- Before playing big games, he prefers listening to Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, and any other great music.
- He also likes to go fishing as a hobby.
- If he wasn’t a basketball player, he would have been a content creator as he loves storytelling.
- Apart from basketball, he also loves baseball. Infact, baseball is his first love.
- He lost his father when he was 2. He was a member of the Young Lords group.
- His perfect wine and meal combination would be a nice pasta and a heavier Italian wine.
- In 2013, he started his venture capital firm Melo7 Tech Partners to invest in early stage startups related to digital media, consumer internet, and technology ventures.
- After the 2020-2021 season, he received the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Social Justice Champion Award for his fight for social justice. He is very proud of this award.
- He has a scar over his left eye which he got when he fell off the speaker while watching his brother play basketball. Carmelo was 4 years old at that time.
- If he would have to invite people (dead or alive) on dinner, he would prefer inviting Barack Obama, Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, and Nelson Mandela.
- During his freshman year, he was dropped from his high school basketball team.