Michael Jeffrey Jordan
MJ, His Airness, Air Jordan, The G.O.A.T
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Michael attended Emsley A. Laney High School in Wilmington, North Carolina.
After graduating, he was offered many athletic scholarships from different colleges such as Duke, Syracuse and South Carolina, but he accepted North Carolina’s basketball scholarship in 1991 and majored in Cultural Geography.
Michael left college to enter the 1984 NBA Draft, but eventually came back and graduated in 1986.
Professional Basketball Player
- Shooting Guard (SG)
- Small Forward (SF)
Chicago Bulls (1984 – 1993, 1995 – 1998), Washington Wizards (2001-2003)
- Father – James Jeffrey Jordan (Equipment Supervisor)
- Mother – Deloris Peoples (Bank Teller)
- Siblings – Larry Jordan (Older Brother), James R Jordan JR (Older Brother), Deloris (Older Sister) and Roslyn (Younger Sister)
Michael is signed to Jump Inc. and Michael Jordan Flight School.
Michael Jordan achieved –
- 6 time NBA champion (1991 – 1993, 1996 – 1998)
- 5 time NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991 – 1992, 1996, 1998)
- 6 time NBA Finals MVP (1991 – 1993, 1996 – 1998)
- 9 time NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988 – 1993, 1996 – 1998)
- 14 time NBA All-Star (1985 – 1993, 1996 – 1998, 2002 – 2003)
- 3 time NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
- 10 time All-NBA First Team (1987 – 1993, 1996 – 1998)
- 10 time NBA scoring champion (1987 – 1993, 1996 – 1998)
- 3 times NBA steals champion (1988, 1990, 1993)
- NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1988)
- 3 time AP Athlete of the Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
- 2 time NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (1987 – 1988)
- 2 time USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (1983 – 1984)
- NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)
- NCAA champion (1982)
- First-team All-American (1983 – 1984)
- Chicago Bulls all-time leading scorer
- All-NBA Second Team (1985)
- ACC Player of the Year (1984)
- National College Player of the Year (1984)
- NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
- Olympic gold medals in Los Angeles (1984) and Barcelona (1992)
- FIBA Americas Championship gold medal in Portland (1992)
- Pan American Games gold medal in Caracas (1983)
Michael wore the legendary 23 number that is a retired number from Chicago Bulls, North Carolina, and the Miami Heat.
His 23 number was retired by the Chicago Bulls two times. First when he retired in 1993 and later after his second retirement in 1998. He wore number 45 after he was back from his first retirement, but eventually, after a short period he got back his 23 and he wore it till he retired again in 1998.
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
- 195 lbs or 88 kg – as a rookie
- 205 lbs or 92 kg – first three championships
- 216 lbs or 97 kg – another three championships
- 223 lbs or 101 kg – when he played for Washington Wizards
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael Jordan dated –
- Vanessa Williams – Michael was in a relationship with the well-known actress Vanessa Williams.
- Loredana Jolie – Michael also had an encounter with Loredana Jolie, who is a former Playboy model.
- Juanita Jordan (1989-2002) – Michael married Juanita Jordan on September 2, 1989. They were together for 17 years before they got divorced. Michael and Juanita have 3 children – Jeffrey Michael (born November 18, 1988), Marcus James (born December 24, 1990) and Jasmine Mickael (December 7, 1992).
- Karla Knafel (1989) – Michael met the American singer Karla Knafel in an Indianapolis hotel, while she was performing with her band. They had a sex affair which Michael wanted keep in private. He paid Karla $250,000 to keep the affair a secret. Knafel claimed that Jordan promised her $5 million for remaining silent and agreeing not to file a paternity suit after Knafel learned she was pregnant in 1991. A DNA test showed Jordan was not the father of the child and he claimed in court that Knafel was extorting him.
- Kylie Ireland (1996) – Michael had an encounter with the American porn star Kylie Ireland.
- Lisa Miceli (2005) – Michael met a local American girl Lisa Miceli back in 2005. Lisa claimed that Michael was the father of her son Dante Michael Miceli, which was proven to be wrong in the paternity tests. After the story, Michael asked for a lawsuit so that he could keep Lisa away from him.
- Ashley Dupre (2006) – Michael had an encounter with the American Flutist Ashley Dupre.
- Nicole Mitchell Murphy (2007) – There were RUMORs that the NBA superstar and Eddie Murphy’s ex-wife Nicole Mitchell Murphy dated. The RUMOR source said that these two spent a night together in bed.
- Yvette Prieto (2008–Present) – Michael started dating Yvette Prieto in 2008 and the two got engaged on December 26, 2011, and they got married on April 27, 2013. Michael and Yvette have twin daughters Victoria and Ysabel (born on February 9, 2014).
Race / Ethnicity
- Bald head
- Played with his tongue out
- Long legs and arms
- Played with bubble gum in his mouth
- Hand Length – 9.75 in
- Wingspan – 6 ft 11.5 in
13 (US) or 12 (UK) or 47 (EU)
Michael has appeared in many TV commercials for WorldCom phone service (1990s), Rayovac batteries(1990s), Coalition on Organ and Tissue Donation (1990s), Michael Jordan cologne (1996), Gatorade thirst quencher (1990s), McDonald’s (1990s), Chevrolet (1990s), Nike (1990s), Hanes Underwear (1990s – 2000s), Johnson Hair Products (1980s), and a single TV commercial for Presidential Campaign of Bill Bradley (2000), Ball Park Franks (1997) , Renew Rechargeable Batteries (1990s), MCI 5 cent Sundays (1998), Coca-Cola (mid 1980s), 1-800-COLLECT (2001), Hanes Underwear with Kevin Bacon (2007), Hanes Underwear with Cuba Gooding Jr. (2007), Wheaties cereal (1990s), Upper Deck Trading Cards (1993), Hanes Underwear “Talking Shirt Tag” (November 2013), Hanes underwear with Matthew Perry (2005).
Print ads for Ball Park Franks (2003), “Sports Illustrated for Kids” (1991)
Michael has signed contracts with Nike, 2K Sports, Upper Deck, Hanes, Gatorade, Presbyterian Healthcare and Five Star Fragrances.
Best Known For
Michael is being considered the best basketball player of this era. He is known for leading the Chicago Bulls to two three-peats and total of 6 championships. In all 6 championship finals, he was named the final MVP. Michael was also part of the well known NBA dream team that won 4 gold medals in the Olympics in Los Angeles (1984) and Barcelona (1992), one at the FIBA Americas Championship (1992) in Portland and one more at the Pan American Games in Caracas (1983).
- Long arms
- Great overall athleticism, especially vertical jump
- Very clutch player
- Work ethic
- Great in isolation 1 on 1
- Great back technique
Many people see Michael as the perfect basketball player with no weaknesses, but not many know that he was struggling with the three-point shot during most of his basketball career.
First NBA Game
Michael debuted in NBA with a game against Washington Bullets on October 26, 1984. Jordan scored 16 points and added 6 rebounds and 7 more assists in that game. His team Chicago, won that game by sixteen points (109-93).
Michael’s made his maiden appearance in the movie Kenny Rogers Classic Weekend in 1990.
Michael got his first important role in the animated movie Space Jam in 1996, in which he played himself (Michael Jordan), helping the Looney Toons team to win the game against the alien slavers and earn their freedom.
First TV Show
Michael appeared in the TV series Almost Live in 1990.
Well known Tim Grover is Michael Jordan’s personal trainer. Tim Grover is the owner of Attack Athletic and is considered one of the best sport-specific strength and conditioning coaches in the world. When Michael first came into the league, he was only doing basic basketball training but wasn’t lifting weights.
After Chicago Bulls were eliminated by the Detroit Pistons two times in a row back in 1987 – 88 and 1988 – 89, he decided to give Tim Grover a shot and started training with him. At that time, Michael didn’t know how that will affect his game and he gave Grover a trial period of one month, and one month transformed into 15 years.
“I began lifting weights two and a half years ago. I was taking a lot of physical beating by the Pistons and the New York Knicks, they thought this was the way to play Michael, to physically beat him.”
– said Jordan in one of his documentaries about his weightlifting training with Tim Grover.
Tim is also known for training many other NBA superstars like Dwayne Wade (3 times NBA champion), Gilbert Arenas, Tracy Mcgrady, Kobe Bryant, and others.
Michael Jordan Favorite Things
- Food – Steak, Chicken, Pizza, Shrimp
- TV Shows – Sanford and Son (1972-1977)
- Song – Give it your best – Anita Baker
- Color – Red
- Jersey Numbers – 11, 3, 13
- Cigarettes – Partagas Lusitanias
- Shoes – Jordan’s (11s, 3s, 12s, and 13s)
Source – CigaraFicionado.com, Best-Basketball-Tips.com
Michael Jordan Facts
- Jordan was drafted as the 3rd pick in the first round of the 1984 NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls.
- He was chosen as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world by People Magazine.
- ESPN voted him as the greatest athletes of this era.
- His father, James Jordan was killed while he was sleeping in his brand new car, which Michael gifted him shortly before the accident.
- Jordan’s fortune is estimated to be over 400 million dollars.
- He wasn’t selected on the varsity team during his sophomore year because his coach said he was too short (at that time Michael was 5 ft 11 in).
- Sam Bowie, who was selected as a second pick in the 1984 NBA draft before Michael, was later named as the worst draft pick in North American professional history.
- After his second retirement, Michael was named Director of Basketball Operation in the Washington Wizards.
- Michael decided a total of 25 games with field goals or free throws in the last 30 seconds with the Bulls.
- He is the owner of Michael Jordan Motorsports, a motorcycle racing team.
- Jordan is inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
- He became an owner of Charlotte Bobcats in 2010. On May 21, 2013, he filed papers to change the name Bobcats to the Hornets. By becoming the owner of Charlotte, Jordan became the first Afro-American majority owner of an NBA team.
- He received the status of a billionaire from Forbes due to his ownership of the Charlotte Hornets.
- He has his own Jordan brand on Nike.com.
- You can follow Jordan on Twitter.