|CCH Pounder Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 25, 1952|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
CCH Pounder is a Guyanese-American actress, best known for playing Dr. Angela Hicks in the medical drama series ER from 1994 to 1997, as well as Detective Claudette Wyms in the police drama The Shield from 2002 to 2008. CCH also had notable or recurring roles in TV series such as Women in Prison (1987-1988), Millennium (1996-1998), and Brothers (2009), as well as Warehouse 13 (2009-2014) as Mrs. Irene Frederic, Sons of Anarchy (2013-2014) as Tyne Patterson, and a medical examiner Loretta Wade in NCIS: New Orleans, which started airing in 2014. She also had a successful film career, having appeared in All That Jazz (1979), Prizzi’s Honor (1985), RoboCop 3 (1993), Sliver (1993), Face/Off (1997), Race (1998), End of Days (1999), Things Behind the Sun (2001), Orphan (2009), Avatar (2009), Home Again (2012), and The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) alongside Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Lena Headey, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
Carol Christine Hilaria Pounder
Georgetown, British Guiana
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
CCH Pounder attended the Bachelor of Arts program in fine art with a concentration in drama at Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York, United States.
She later received an honorary doctorate degree from the college and was its commencement speaker in 2010.
Actress, Activist, Artist
- Father – Ronald Urlington Pounder
- Mother – Betsy Enid Arnella (née James)
CCH Pounder is represented by –
- Mitchell K. Stubbs & Associates (MKS) (Talent Agent Theatrical) in Culver City, California, United States
- Innovative Artists (Talent Agent Voice & Commercial) in Santa Monica, California, United States
- Richard Hoffman PR (Publicist) in Los Angeles, California, United States
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
CCH Pounder has dated –
- Boubacar Kone (1991-2016) – CCH never specified when she started dating the Senegalean anthropologist, but the pair got married in 1991 and enjoyed a fruitful marriage for 25 years, as their happiness was cut short on August 3, 2016, as a result of Boubacar’s untimely death. They have 3 children – son Matthew, and daughters Libya and Nicole.
Race / Ethnicity
CCH Pounder is of African-Guyanese descent.
She has dyed her hair ‘Light Brown’, ‘Dark Brown’, ‘Red’, ‘White’, and ‘Blonde’.
- Afro haircut
- Wide nose
- Bright white teeth
- Large physique
- Thin eyebrows
Best Known For
- Starring in the series The Shield (2002-2008) as Claudette Wyms
- Playing Mo’at in the 3D animated movie Avatar (2009)
- Having recurring roles in series such as ER (1994-1997), Warehouse 13 (2009-2014), and Brothers (2009)
- Playing Bertha in the well-known movie RoboCop 3 (1993)
- Starring in the role of Dorothea in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013)
CCH Pounder made her first theatrical film appearance as nurse Blake in a comedy-drama All That Jazz in 1979.
First TV Show
CCH Pounder made her first TV show appearance as Jasmine in an episode The Second Oldest Profession of the drama series Hill Street Blues in 1981.
She hasn’t shared anything about her workout routine and it is unlikely that CCH works out intensively.
As for diet, she often eats pepper pots, kiwis, various soups with lemons mixed-in, pasta, as well as low-calorie biscuits. CCH also enjoys Gunga peas and other traditional Guyana dishes, in addition to protein derived from beef, pork, and chicken products.
CCH Pounder Favorite Things
- Interest – Traveling, Art, Amateur Photography
- Hobby – Painting, Drawing, Antique Restoration
- Food – Pork Barbecue
- Animal – Bird
- Personal Quote – “Applause is the most powerful thing… people talk about the sound of it, but what I hear is glee.”
CCH Pounder Facts
- She was born in Georgetown, British Guiana, which became an independent nation of Guyana in 1966. CCH grew up in England but moved to the United States in 1970.
- She was one of the founders of an organization Artists for a New South Africa (ANSA), and through its activity, brought awareness to HIV/AIDS disease pandemic, as well as serious issues of post-apartheid that started in 1994 in South Africa.
- Carol, Christine, and Hilaria, which are part of her real name, are all names of CCH’s female relatives. Coincidentally, the abbreviation also stands for Chicago’s Cook County Hospital, which was where the hospital in the series ER (1994-1997) was set.
- Growing up, her father had a huge collection of carved ebony figures, and she would later keep them in her pocket during her acting auditions as a good luck charm.
- CHH was always interested in art, but the busy acting life often kept her away from fully committing. For that reason, she had a habit of decorating every living space she resides in, such as her New Orleans condo.
- She was often cast as either a government agent or a law enforcement officer, or in a role that had something to do with medicine, such as a pathologist, nurse, or a doctor.
- Her mentor was Stella Curran, an English woman who motivated her to pursue both acting and art simultaneously.
- CCH and her then-husband, Boubacar Kone, built and founded Musee Boribana, the 1st contemporary art museum in Dakar, Senegal. They collected many rare or notable art pieces from African artists, and in 2014, donated the whole collection and the museum itself to the country of Senegal.
- CCH received 4 Primetime Emmy Award nominations as of late March 2019. In 1995 and 2009, she was nominated for “Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series” for the series The X Files (1993) and The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency (2008).
- In 1997 and 2005, CCH received Emmy Award nominations in the category of “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series” for the series ER (1994) and The Shield (2002), respectively.
- CCH received a very prestigious Caribbean American Heritage Award in 1997, for “Excellence in the Arts” by the Institute of Caribbean Studies in Washington, D.C., United States.
- She had the roles of Amanda Waller and Golden Queen in the animated TV series Justice League Unlimited from 2004 to 2006. CCH later provided the voice for those characters in the animated movie Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014), and in video games such as Batman: Arkham Origins (2013), Skylanders: Trap Team (2014), Skylanders: SuperChargers (2015), and Skylanders: Imaginators (2016).
- CCH starred in 3 movies that received an Academy Award (Oscar) nomination for “Best Picture” as of 2018. Those were the comedy-drama All That Jazz from 1979, Prizzi’s Honor, a crime-comedy that premiered in 1985, and Avatar, a well known 3D animated movie from 2009.
- She was honored by the actor Jamie Foxx when he thanked her in his Academy Award (Oscar) acceptance speech for Ray (2004). The movie was a biography that detailed life and success of the well-known singer and musician Ray Charles, and Jamie played the lead role.
- The character she played in the horror movie Orphan (2009), named Sister Abigail, was written by the director specifically with her in mind. Other actors that appeared in the movie were Vera Farmiga, Peter Sarsgaard, and Isabelle Fuhrman.
- She lost the role of C.J. Cregg on the series The West Wing (1999-2006) to the actress Allison Janney.
- Visit her official website @ cchpounder.net.
- Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by CCH Pounder / Instagram