|Chaka Khan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||March 23, 1953|
Chaka Khan is an American singer, songwriter, actress, author, philanthropist, entrepreneur, and activist. She is a 10 time Grammy award-winning music artist with an estimated 70 million records sold globally. As of January 2020, Chaka’s career as a singer and songwriter has spanned over 5 decades since she joined the funk band, Rufus, in 1970. With time, she has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 2 million followers on Facebook, more than 600k followers on Instagram, and more than 800k followers on Twitter.
Yvette Marie Stevens
Chaka Adunne Aduffe Yemoja Hodarhi Karifi Khan, The Queen of Funk
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
She studied at the Saint Thomas‘ elementary school which was part of the Apostle Church.
Prior to dropping out of high school, Chaka had attended Calumet High School and Kenwood High School.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Author, Philanthropist, Entrepreneur, Activist
- Father – Charles Stevens
- Mother – Sandra Coleman
- Siblings – Yvonne (Younger Sister) (Singer, Songwriter), Mark Stevens (Younger Brother) (Musician), Zaheva Stevens (Younger Sister), Tammy McCrary (Younger Sister)
- Others – Connie (Step-mother)
She is represented by George Fuller and ICM Partners.
R&B/Soul, Funk, Jazz, Dance, Rock, Gospel
She has released her music with ABC Records, Warner Bros., Reprise, MCA, NPG
and Burgundy in the past.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
98 kg or 216 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Chaka’s name has been linked with –
- Ledisi Young
- Maurice White
- Hassan Khan (1970-1971)
- Rahsaan Morris – They have a daughter named Milini.
- Richard Holland (1976-1980) – They have a son named Damien Holland.
- Doug Rasheed (2001-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American ancestry.
She prefers to dye her hair red.
- Frizzy long hair
- Straight eyebrows
- Round face
Chaka Khan Favorite Things
- Song – Everlasting Love from the album Ask Rufus (1977)
Source – St. Louis Post Dispatch
Chaka Khan Facts
- She was brought up in the area of Hyde Park.
- Chaka once stated that her father was a beatnik and her mother had the ability to do just about anything.
- Her sister Yvonne and brother Mark are both successful musicians.
- Growing up, she was taught Catholic beliefs.
- She credits her grandmother to be the person who influenced her passion for music and introduced Chaka to jazz.
- During her teenage years, Chaka developed an interest for rhythm and blues and soon enough formed a girl band called the Crystalettes alongside her sister Yvonne.
- She strongly supported the Black Panther Party from 1967 to 1969.
- She got her name “Chaka Adunne Aduffe Hodarhi Karifi” from a Yoruba baba when she was 13 years old.
- After dropping out of high school, Chaka performed with musician and singer Cash McCall and his group Lyfe.
- She had been abusing the use of cocaine and heroin in the past.
- Chaka was diagnosed with high blood pressure and Type-2 diabetes in the past.
- She is a vegan.
Featured Image By Connie Lodge / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0