|Chali 2na Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 26, 1971|
Chali 2na is an American rapper, hip-hop artist, soundtrack composer, and actor, widely known for being part of the music groups Jurassic 5 in 1993 and Ozomatli in 1995. The debut album from the American hip hop group came out in 1998, under Pan Records label, and was titled Jurassic 5. Uniquely, the first album released by Ozomatli group was also named Ozomatli, and came out the same year, in 1998. After achieving success with group music albums, Chali 2na released his 1st official mixtape named Fish Market on October 25, 2004. 2 years later, in 2006, singles such as Don’t Stop and Anchor Man followed and got recognized by the audience. Those 2 singles, along with new hip-hop tracks became a part of his first official album Fish Outta Water released in 2009.
Chali 2na, Charlie the Tuna
Chicago, Illinois, United States
He never publicly spoke of the name of the high school in Los Angeles he went to.
Rapper, Hip-Hop Artist, Actor, Composer
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Unknown
Chali is represented by Cunningham Escott Slevin & Doherty (CESD) talent agency.
Hip-hop, Reggae, Soul, Funk
His solo album, Fish Outta Water, came out of Decon Records studio in 2009.
Albums from his music group, Jurassic 5, were released under labels such as JVC, Interscope Records, and TVT.
His EP, Against the Current (2013), was released under Westwood Recordings.
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Chali 2na has always kept his dating life under wraps and has no publicly known relationships.
Race / Ethnicity
Chali 2na has African-American ancestry.
Very tall physique
Chali has endorsed brands such as –
Best Known For
- His solo album, Fish Outta Water (2009), on which he collaborated with other rappers
- Being the most notable member of groups Ozomatli and Jurassic 5
- His baritone voice and fast rapping style
Chali 2na released his solo debut album titled Fish Outta Water in 2009 under Decon Records studio. The album consisted of 15 songs such as Get Focused, So Crazy, Don’t Stop, Comin’ Thru, Guns Up, 4 Be Be, and others.
He made his theatrical film debut in Never Been Kissed in 1999.
First TV Show
Chali 2na made his TV show debut as himself on Tom Green’s House Tonight in 2006.
Chali 2na Favorite Things
- Art – Graffiti, Murals, Paintings
- Rappers – D’Angelo, Chuck D
Source – Vice
Chali 2na Facts
- He always thought that rappers that were pioneers and trendsetters such as Kool Herc, Tupac Shakur, and Afrika Bambaataa should be respected for their contribution.
- He was interested in the art of graffiti before he went to pursue music. His passion never stopped, as he had graffiti tours in Australia throughout his later career, visiting Perth to paint. He was also a regular painter at the Bondi Beach Graffiti Wall.
- It was music and art that prevented him from going into gang life and a life of drug addiction.
- He met his friend, the Cut Chemist, as well as Marc 7even when he was in high school. Together, they formed a rap group named Unity Committee that had 7 members in total.
- Cut Chemist and Chali 2na were founding members of a band named Ozomatli, whose genre was a mix of hip hop, funk, dance, reggae, and rock.
- The group Unity Committee used to appear at open mike sessions in the Good Life Cafe in Los Angeles. There, they met with DJU NU-Mark, Akil, and Zaakir, and in 1993, and all 6 formed up the famous group Jurassic 5.
- Jurassic 5’s 1st album was named Jurassic 5, and it came out in 1998. Quality Control came out in 2000, Power in Numbers (2002) and Feedback (2006) albums followed.
- Chali has a huge history of collaborating with rappers, singers, bands, and musicians. Most notable ones were Roots Manuva, Linkin Park, Blackalicious, Black Eyed Peas, Rizzle Kicks, The Funk Hunters, and Krusty Kuts, among others.
- He appeared in multiple movies and documentaries. The most famous one was This is the Life, a documentary that featured the music movement and talent at The Good Life Cafe where he began his rapping career. Others are RASH (2005) and Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme.
- Chali starred in the Epic Rap Battles of History video on Youtube, uploaded on June 16, 2014. It featured the topic of a rap battle between Sir Isaac Newton and Bill Nye, but he had the role of Neil deGrasse Tyson.
- He appeared alongside his band members of Ozomatli in the famous movie Never Been Kissed (1999) starring Drew Barrymore, David Arquette, and James Franco.
- He was raised by his grandmother, who was a practicing Muslim and instilled Islamic faith in him. In addition, he moved with her to South Central Los Angeles when he was a mid-teen, which is where his graffiti and rap career started.
- His cousin, Be-Be, was killed in E2 nightclub stampede in 2003. He dedicated a song he made in collaboration with Ming Xia named 4 Be Be on his Fish Outta Water (2009) album to him.
- Singles such as Don’t Stop and Anchor Man were first released in 2006, and they later re-released on his debut album.
- Chala’s most famous rap group Jurassic 5, split up in 2007, a year after they released their last album, Feedback.
- His 2nd mixtape had a successful release in 2010. Just as the 1st one, it features a lot of collaborations with famous artists and musicians he admired.
- Sleeping Dogs, a video game released in 2012, had his song Step Yo Game Up as part of its soundtrack.
- Visit his official website @ www.chali2na.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Chali 2na / Instagram