|Charles Oakley Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||December 18, 1963|
Charles Oakley is an American basketball coach, former professional basketball player, and entrepreneur who was widely considered to be one of the best rebounders of his generation. He had represented the Chicago Bulls (1985–1988, 2001–2002), the New York Knicks (1988–1998), the Toronto Raptors (1999–2001), the Washington Wizards (2002–2003), and the Houston Rockets (2004) in the NBA (National Basketball Association). He was named in the NBA All-Rookie First Team (1986), the NBA All-Defensive First Team (1994), the NBA All-Star Team (1994), and the NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1998). Post-retirement, he had served as the assistant coach of the NBA team Charlotte Bobcats (now known as Charlotte Hornets) (2010-2011) and the coach of the Killer 3’s, a men’s 3-on-3 basketball team that plays in the BIG3 basketball league (2017-Present). He was inducted into the ‘Virginia Sports Hall of Fame and Museum’ in 2016.
Oak Tree, Chairman of the Boards
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States
He splits his time between New York, United States, and Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States.
Charles had attended the John Hay High School, a public school in his hometown of Cleveland. He had then joined the Virginia Union University, a private historically black university in Richmond, Virginia, in 1981. He had graduated from there in 1985.
Basketball coach, Former Professional Basketball Player, Entrepreneur
- Father – Charles Oakley II
- Mother – Corine Oakley
- Siblings – Curtis Oakley (Brother), Yvonne Moss (Sister), Carolyn Felders (Sister), Diane Oakley (Sister), Saralene Oakley (Sister)
Power Forward, Center
- 34 – Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks, Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards
- 33 – Houston Rockets
6 ft 8 in or 203 cm
102 kg or 225 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Charles has dated –
- Nefertini Rasool
- Angela Reed (2016-Present) – Charles got married to businesswoman and financial consultant Angela Reed on July 30, 2016.
He has a daughter named Ahmauri Anderson from an unnamed relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Towering frame
- Sports a rugged beard
- Affable smile
Charles Oakley Facts
- Charles, in his senior year of college (1984–85), had led Virginia Union University’s team, The Panthers, to the 1985 CIAA (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) championship. His performances had helped the team achieve a remarkable 31-1 record over the season and he was named the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) ‘Division II Player of the Year’.
- His performances had led him to be picked in the 1st round of the 1985 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. However, his draft rights were later traded to the Chicago Bulls.
- During the 1994 NBA season, representing the New York Knicks, he had started every regular season and playoff game for the team creating a record for ‘Most Starts (107) in a Single NBA Season’.
- As an entrepreneur, post-retirement, he had started several commercial ventures including Hair Solutions and Nails EtCetera in Cleveland; Oakley’s (car wash, oil change, and detail centers) in Brooklyn and Yonkers, New York; Oakley’s Wash House (car wash and laundromat) in Cleveland; and Red, The Steakhouse (restaurants) in Cleveland and Miami.
- In September 2016, a section of Deering Street in Cleveland was named the ‘Charles Oakley Way’ to honor him.
Featured Image by Charles Oakley / Instagram