|Charu Sharma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Charu Sharma is an Indian sports broadcaster, commentator, businessman, sports administrator, compere, and quizmaster who is best known for hosting the studio shows of numerous sporting events, particularly cricket matches/tournaments, that have been aired by noted Indian and global broadcasters including ESPN, Star Sports, SET Max, and Doordarshan. He has served as the director of the Pro Kabaddi League (PKL), an Indian professional kabaddi league that was founded in 2014. The PKL was an initiative of Mashal Sports, a company that was co-founded by Charu and renowned Indian industrialist Anand Mahindra. He was also the CEO of the Royal Challengers Bangalore franchise in the inaugural season (2008) of the Indian Premier League (IPL) but was forced to quit due to the team’s poor performance. He has served as the quizmaster in several TV programs, game shows, and corporate events; and has delivered guest lectures on sports commentary at numerous educational institutions.
Uttar Pradesh, India
Bengaluru, Bayaluseemé, Karnataka, India
Charu had attended the renowned Mayo College, a boys-only independent boarding school in Ajmer, Rajasthan, India. After his high school graduation, he had joined St. Stephen’s College, an affiliated college with the University of Delhi, a collegiate public central university in New Delhi.
Thereafter, he had joined Davidson College, a private liberal arts college in Davidson, North Carolina, United States, on a one-year scholarship program.
Sports Broadcaster, Commentator, Businessman, Sports Administrator, Compere, Quizmaster
- Father – N.C. Sharma (Educationist, Former Vice-Principal of Mayo College)
- Siblings – He has a younger sister.
- Others – Anand Mahindra (Brother-in-Law) (Industrialist, Chairman of Mahindra Group, a Mumbai-based Business Conglomerate, Padma Bhushan Awardee), Anuradha Mahindra (Sister-in-Law) (Former Journalist, Founder/Editor of Verve, a Premier Indian Luxury and Lifestyle Magazine) Aalika Mahindra (Niece-in-Law), Divya Mahindra (Niece-in-Law), Harish Mahindra (Father-in-Law) (d. December 1999), Indira Mahindra (Mother-in-Law), Keshub Mahindra (Uncle-in-Law) (Businessman, Chairman Emeritus of the Mahindra Group), Radhika Nath (Sister-in-Law), Jagdish Chandra Mahindra (Grandfather-in-Law) (Industrialist, Co-Founder of Mahindra & Mahindra, an Indian Multinational Automotive Manufacturing Corporation Headquartered in Mumbai)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Charu has dated –
- Anuja Sharma – Charu had met Anuja Sharma (née Mahindra), the sister of renowned industrialist Anand Mahindra, while he was working for a tea company in Mumbai. She was working with a magazine at that time but had given up the job after she got married to Charu. As of March 2022, the couple was together, living in Bengaluru.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Back-combed, receding hairline
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
Charu Sharma Facts
- Born in the state of Uttar Pradesh, Charu’s family had moved to the state of Rajasthan when he was just a few months old. He had spent the majority of his developmental years in Rajasthan.
- In his school days, he had excelled in rifle shooting, swimming, and diving. At the age of 11, he had become the national junior champion in diving. In 1982, he had represented India, as a springboard diver, at the Delhi Asian Games. However, at the age of 17, he had retired from the sport.
- While he was studying at Davidson College, he had received his first job offer. However, he had rejected it because he was not highly interested in academics. He had then returned to India and had joined a tea company in Mumbai. About 2 years later, he had moved to Hyderabad where he had worked for a cigarette company.
- He had started sports commentary in 1982 and more than a decade later, in 1993, had joined ESPN, as a lead anchor, a job that he had held until 2001.
- In February 2022, Charu had come in for universal praise after he had stepped in, at very short notice, to take over the role of the auctioneer at the IPL mega auction. This was after Hugh Edmeades, the original auctioneer, had collapsed due to postural hypotension, during the early stages of the 1st day of the auction. Charu, who lives near ITC Gardenia, the Bengaluru hotel where the event was being hosted, was then contacted by the IPL‘s authorities.
- Despite having very limited experience in auctioneering, he had readily agreed to step in and went on to successfully host the auction for the remainder of the 1st day and almost the entirety of the 2nd and final day at which point Edmeades had returned to conclude the event.
- His hobbies/interests include playing golf and traveling.
Featured Image by Charu Sharma / Instagram