|Chelsea Manning Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||December 17, 1987|
Chelsea Manning is an American activist and whistleblower who first garnered media attention in July 2013, after being convicted for disclosing nearly 750,000 classified, or unclassified but sensitive, military, and diplomatic documents to WikiLeaks. On the other hand, Chelsea also worked as a former United States Army soldier.
Bradley Edward Manning
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Chelsea graduated from high school at the age of 17, in 2005. She briefly attended history and English at Montgomery College before deciding to quit after a semester as a result of failing an exam.
- Father – Brian Manning
- Mother – Susan Fox
- Siblings – Casey Manning (Older Sister)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Chelsea has dated –
- Grimes (2022) – In March 2022, it was revealed that singer and songwriter Grimes was in a relationship with Chelsea. The couple reportedly broke up in July 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
Chelsea has Welsh ancestry on her mother’s side and American ancestry on her father’s side.
- Petite and lean physical appearance
- Pale white skin tone
Chelsea Manning Facts
- Her father Brian enlisted in the United States Navy at the age of 19 in 1974, where he served as an intelligence analyst for 5 years.
- Chelsea’s parents met for the first time while her father was stationed at the former Royal Air Force base in Brawdy.
- In 1979, Brian and Susan relocated to California with her sister Casey who was born in 1976, eventually settling in Crescent, Oklahoma where they bought a house with 5 acres of land and raised pigs and chickens. Her father took up a job as an information technology manager at a rental car agency, called The Hertz Corporation, hence, requiring him to travel a lot.
- Chelsea was raised in a troubled family, as her older sister stated during a court hearing that both of her parents were alcoholics and her mother Susan continued to abuse the use of the substance while being pregnant with Chelsea. The statement was further backed up by Navy psychiatrist Captain David Moulton, who stated in court that at the time of her birth, Chelsea’s facial features did show signs of fetal alcohol syndrome.
- It was Manning’s older sister Casey who took care of her as a child. Whilst Chelsea was only given milk and baby food until she was 2 years old, this, in turn, stunted her growth. Chelsea was also left to be playing with legos or on the computer whilst her mother would be drinking for days on end. Her neighbors and friends also reportedly helped feed and take care of Chelsea from time to time.
- According to a statement by her father Brian, Chelsea was skilled at playing the saxophone and took a special interest in science and computers. She even developed a website by the age of 10.
- At the age of 11, her mother attempted suicide and had to be rushed to the hospital.
- Manning had come out as gay to a childhood friend of his at the age of 13.
- Her parents legally parted ways in the 2000s. The following year in November 2001, she and her mother relocated to Haverfordwest, Wales.
- After moving back in to live with her father and his new wife in Oklahoma, she had been living as an openly gay man. She started her gender transition in 2010 and her lawyer revealed that she has requested to be known under the name Chelsea on August 22, 2013.
- Chelsea enlisted in the United States Army in late 2007 and continued to serve actively until 2010.
- On May 27, 2010, she was arrested by the Army’s Criminal Investigation Command on charges of the violations of Articles 92 and 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), and of the Espionage Act. She was detained at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, on July 29, 2010. Later, on April 20, 2011, transferred to the Midwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility.
- On May 17, 2017, Manning was released from Fort Leavenworth’s detention center at approximately 2 a.m.
- She has been awarded various medals such as the National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Overseas Service Ribbon, and Iraq Campaign Medal.
- Chelsea was diagnosed with Covid-19 on September 14, 2021, and was reported to have suffered mild symptoms.
- In August 2021, a company named NYM Technologies SA contracted her to conduct an information security audit.
Featured Image By (Matt Barnes / Twitter / CC BY-SA 4.0)