|CKay Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 16, 1995|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
CKay is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer who gained global acclaim with his track Love Nwantiti (also known as Love Nwantiti (Ah Ah Ahh)) which was released in 2019 by Chocolate City. The song became the first-ever African song to surpass one billion streams on Spotify on May 9, 2022, and has since been deemed “the biggest hit in African history”. CKay’s discography also includes various other tracks, albums, and extended plays such as Way, Who the F*ck Is CKay?, Boyfriend, Container, CKay the First, Sad Romance, Skoin Skoin (ft. Bianca Costa), Kiss Me Like You Miss Me (with Payal Dev), By Your Side (ft. Blxckie), Emiliana, Maria (ft. Silly Walks Movement), Watawi (ft. Davido, Focalistic, and Abidoza), and Felony.
CKay was taught piano by his father.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Record Producer
- Father – He was a choir conductor at their local church.
CKay has been managed by Asa Asika.
Afrobeats, R&B, Pop, Alté
Vocals, Piano, Drums, Guitar
Warner Music Africa, Atlantic, Chocolate City (Former)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
CKay is of Igbo descent.
- His musical journey was influenced by his father.
- His career as a musician started with him being a member of a band which was made up of him and 2 other bandmates.
- CKay’s 2nd extended play CKay the First was released on August 30, 2019, and it peaked at #3 on the US World Albums (Billboard) chart, at #12 on the Dutch Albums (Album Top 100) chart, at #20 on the Canadian Albums (Billboard) chart, and at #117 on the US Billboard 200 chart. It includes songs like Love Nwantiti (Ah Ah Ah), Way (ft. DJ Lambo), DTF, Like to Party (ft. Blaqbonez), Ski Ski, Oliver Kahn (ft. BOJ), Beeni (ft. Barry Jhay), and Kalakuta.
- The song Love Nwantiti charted across Europe, Australia, Latin America, and New Zealand, reaching #1 in India, the Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland in 2021. It won the award for “Most Performed International Song” at the BMI Awards London in 2022 as well as got nominated for a Brit Award for “Best International Song” and the City People Music Award for “Best Collabo of the Year”. It was certified ‘2× Platinum’ in the Netherlands and Poland, ‘Platinum’ in Denmark, and ‘Gold’ in Spain.
- On September 23, 2022, CKay released his debut studio album Sad Romance through Warner Music Africa and its tracklist includes You, Leave Me Alone, Soja, Mmadu, By Now, Come Close (ft. Ayra Starr), Watawi (ft. Davido, Focalistic, and Abidoza), Samson and Delilah (ft. Mayra Andrade), Lose You (ft. Ronisia), and You Cheated, I Cheated Too. The album peaked at #1 in the Nigeria Alternative Albums (TurnTable) chart, at #29 in the Nigeria Albums (TurnTable) chart, and at #88 in the French Albums (SNEP) chart.
- Noting his focus on emotional and romantic lyricism in his music, CKay has dubbed his sound “Emo-afrobeats”.
- In an interview with Ayo Onikoyi of Vanguard Nigeria on June 4, 2019, he described his music as Afro-pop from the future (2056 A.D specifically). The OCC writer Helen Ainsley on September 24, 2021, described CKay’s music as fusing Afrobeats with pop and electronic music, and even interpolating classical music.
Featured Image by CKay / Instagram