|Clark Gable Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||February 1, 1901|
|Date of Death||November 16, 1960|
Clark Gable was an American actor and producer who is frequently referred to as “The King of Hollywood”. In a career that spanned 37 years, he appeared in various movies like It Happened One Night, Manhattan Melodrama, Mutiny on the Bounty, Parnell, Gone with the Wind, They Met in Bombay, Command Decision, San Francisco, Test Pilot, Boom Town, Homecoming, Saratoga, and Never Let Me Go. The American Film Institute named him the “7th greatest male movie star of classic American cinema”.
William Clark Gable
Clark, The King of Hollywood, Gabe, The King, Pa
He was born on February 1, 1901.
On November 16, 1960, Gable died of a heart attack at the age of 59 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California, United States
Cadiz, Harrison County, Ohio, United States
He received piano lessons from his stepmother.
- Father – William Henry “Will” Gable (1870-1948) (An oil-well driller)
- Mother – Adeline (née Hershelman)
- Others – Charles Gable (Paternal Grandfather), Nancy Ann Stainbrook (Paternal Grandmother), John J. Hershelman (Maternal Grandfather), Rosetta Clark (Maternal Grandmother), Jennie Dunlap (Stepmother)
He was managed by Josephine Dillon.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $100 Million at the time of his death.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Clark Gable had dated –
- Elizabeth Short
- Millicent Rogers
- William Haines
- Barbara Weeks
- Dorothy Granger
- Pier Angeli
- Elaine White
- Jeanne Carmen
- Joan Harrison
- Francesca De Scaffa
- Doris Lilly
- Eleanor Powell
- Veronica Lake
- Edie Adams
- Lupe Velez
- Adela Rogers St. Johns (1915)
- Louella Parsons (1916-1918) – RUMOR
- Pauline Frederick (1919-1920)
- Franz Dorfler (1920-1921) – He dated actor Franz Dorfler between 1920 and 1921 and they even got engaged before calling it quits.
- Josephine Dillon (1924-1930) – He married his acting coach and manager Josephine Dillon in 1924 but they divorced in 1930. He later stated that “he owed her a debt of gratitude” for the training he received from Dillon in the early years of his career.
- Corinne Griffith (1924-1925)
- Joan Crawford (1930-1936) – He had an on-again, off-again relationship with his 8-time co-star and long-time friend Joan Crawford between 1930 and 1936.
- Anita Page (1930) – RUMOR
- Maria Franklin Prentiss Lucas Langham (1931-1939) – He married socialite Maria Franklin Prentiss Lucas Langham in 1931 and they divorced on March 7, 1939.
- Norma Shearer (1931)
- Madge Evans (1931)
- Mary Astor (1932)
- Jean Harlow (1932)
- Claudette Colbert (1933)
- Elizabeth Allan (1933-1934)
- Katherine DeMille (1934-1935)
- Loretta Young (1934-1935) – He dated actor Loretta Young between 1934 and 1935 and their daughter Judy Lewis was born on November 6, 1935.
- Movita (1935)
- Merle Oberon (1936-1938)
- Marion Davies (1936)
- Virginia Bruce (1937)
- Shelley Winters (1938)
- Olivia de Havilland (1938)
- Carole Lombard (1939-1942) – In 1939, he married actor Carole Lombard who died in a plane crash in 1942.
- Hedy Lamarr (1940)
- Virginia Grey (1942-1949)
- Dolly O’Brien (1944)
- Anita Colby (1945-1947)
- Joan Blondell (1945)
- Slim Hawks (1948)
- Ann Sothern (1948)
- Sylvia Ashley (1949-1952) – He married British model and actor Sylvia Ashley (the widow of Douglas Fairbanks Sr.) in 1949. The marriage ended in divorce in 1952.
- Marilyn Maxwell (1949)
- Audrey Totter (1949)
- Paulette Goddard (1949)
- Grace Kelly (1953) – RUMOR
- Kay Williams (1955-1960) – He married his 5th wife Kay Williams (née Kathleen Williams) in 1955 and became stepfather to her 2 children. Later, she gave birth to their first child together and Gable’s only son, John Clark Gable, on March 20, 1961. The child was born at the same hospital in which Clark had died 4 months earlier. Kay and Clark remained together until his death in 1960.
- Mamie Van Doren (1957)
- Martha Hyer (1958)
Race / Ethnicity
Gable was of German, Irish, Swiss-German, and Belgian descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Tapered mustache
- A distinctive, powerful voice
He was born to a Protestant father and a Catholic mother. When he was 6 months old, he was baptized at a Roman Catholic church in Dennison, Ohio.
Clark Gable Favorite Things
- Female Actors To Work With – Joan Crawford, Gene Tierney
- Movie He Worked In – Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
Clark Gable Facts
- His mother passed away when he was 10 months old.
- Although he never publicly shared his political views, Clark Gable was a conservative Republican.
- He was friends with Lionel Barrymore, Ward Bond, and Hattie McDaniel.
- Clark Gable received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on February 8, 1960.
Featured Image by Movie Studio / eBay / Public Domain