|Coco Chanel Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 19, 1883|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
Coco Chanel was a phenomenal French milliner, dressmaker, fashion designer, businesswoman, and Nazi spy who struggled her ways out from a humble family to become one of the leading personalities to influence fashion and its course for the coming era. One of the pioneers of modern-day fashion, her legacy is celebrated and she is revered for making a mark so prominent in the world of fashion.
Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel
Coco, Gabrielle Chanel, Chanel, Chanel of Paris
She was born on August 19, 1883.
Coco Chanel died naturally at the age of 87 on January 10, 1971, in Paris, France due to old age.
Bois-de-Vaux Cemetery, Lausanne, Switzerland
Saumur, Maine-et-Loire, France
Milliner, Dressmaker, Fashion Designer, Nazi Spy, Businesswoman
- Father – Albert Chanel (Street Vendor)
- Mother – Eugénie Jeanne Devolle (Laundrywoman in the charity hospital run by the Sisters of Providence)
- Siblings – Julia (Older Sister). Coco Chanel also had one another sister and 2 brothers.
- Others – Henri Adrien Paulin Chanel (Paternal Grandfather), Joseph Hippolyte Chanel (Paternal Great Grandfather), Marie Madeleine Thomas (Paternal Great Grandmother), Émilie Virginie Angélina /Angéline Fournier (Paternal Grandmother), Henri Fournier (Paternal Great Grandfather), Christine Ginoux (Paternal Great Grandmother), François Devolle (Maternal Grandfather), Georges /George Devolle (Maternal Great Grandfather), Jeanne Cousin (Maternal Great Grandmother), Gilberte Chardon (Maternal Grandmother), Jean Chardon (Maternal Great Grandfather), Jeanne Thomazet (Maternal Great Grandmother)
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Coco Chanel had dated –
- Jacqueline Susann
- Igor Stravinsky
- Étienne Balsan
- Pierre Reverdy
- Captain Arthur Edward ‘Boy’ Capel (1909-1919)
- Paul Iribe
- Luchino Visconti (1936)
Race / Ethnicity
- Loved camellias
- A legendary designer whose legacy has been maintained and celebrated over the decades
Coco Chanel Favorite Things
- Jewelry – A white enameled cuff featuring a jeweled Maltese cross
- Color – Black
Coco Chanel Facts
- At the time of her birth, her last name was misspelled as ‘Chasnel’ because both of her parents were absent during the registration process as her mother was too sick while her father was registered as “traveling”.
- Coco Chanel’s mother died of tuberculosis but it is also speculated that the reasons for her death might have been a combination of poverty, pregnancy, and pneumonia.
- After the death of her mother, Chanel’s father sent her to the convent of Aubazine.
- She learned the art of sewing during her time at a convent school.
- She was the first one to start a business in branded perfumes and her perfume, Chanel No. 5, is the first perfume to be a blend of many floral scents.
- Coco Chanel was also the one who brought in the sun-tanned look as previously, porcelain white skin was regarded to be more appealing.
- She was well-known for scrutinizing her competitors on several occasions.
- In 1957, Coco Chanel was honored with the Neiman Marcus Fashion Award.
- She is the one and only fashion designer who has been successful to make a place for herself in Time magazine’s list of the “100 most influential people of the 20th century”.
Featured Image by Marion Pike / Internet / Public Domain