Daniel Jonathan Stevens
Croydon, South London, England
- During the early years of his marriage, Crouch End in North-East London was Dan’s permanent home.
- In spring 2013, he relocated to Brooklyn Heights, New York with his family to sign up for more Hollywood projects.
Dan earned a full scholarship to Tonbridge, an all-boys public school in Kent.
He started honing his acting skills at the age of 15 by working with National Youth Theatre in London during summer holidays.
Wanting to mingle with a diverse student crowd in an intellectually stimulating environment, Dan decided to study English Literature for a Bachelor’s Degree at Emmanuel College, Cambridge instead of pursuing a degree in drama.
Actor, Voice-over Artist, Writer, Critic
- Father – Teacher (Adoptive Parent)
- Mother – Teacher (Adoptive Parent)
- Siblings – Younger Brother (Also adopted, biologically born to a different mother from Dan’s)
Victoria Belfrage, Julian Belfrage Associates
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dan Stevens has dated –
- Susie Hariet (2009–Present) – Dan first met his wife Susie Hariet in 2006 in Sheffield, while the two were working in separate theater productions. Dan was a part of The Romans in Britain and Susie, who is a Jazz vocalist, was a part of a musical. They ran into each other after their show and started hanging out together. Dan revealed that their connection was instant. Even though the South African native who visited England to study there is 7 years older than Dan, their bond gets stronger than ever with passing time. After marriage, Susie switched to teaching music and put her career completely on hold when they relocated to New York. The couple has three children together: daughter Willow (b. December 2009), son Aubrey (b. August 2012) and daughter Eden (b. 2016).
Race / Ethnicity
He has English ancestry.
- Clear Blue Deep-Set Eyes
- Sharp Chin
- Chiseled Jawline
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 32 in or 81 cm
His shoe size is speculated to be 10 (US) or 9 (UK) or 43 (EU).
- His most high-profile endorsement since relocating to USA was the Made to Measure Campaign for Giorgio Armani.
- Featured in an elaborate video commercial promoting the Jaguar XJL.
Best Known For
- Playing solicitor, Matthew Reginald Crawley for 3 seasons in Downtown Abbey from 2010 to 2012.
- Was cast as the Beast in Walt Disney fantasy musical, Beauty and the Beast (2017).
- Won critical acclaim for playing X-Men related character David Haller (Charles Xavier’s mutant son) in FX Production, Legion (2017).
Played David Cameron in a German film, Hilde (2009) based on the life of a German actress, Hildegard Knef.
First TV Show
Played Henry Clerval in the two-episode US mini-series, Frankenstein (2004).
The role of Matthew Crawley in Downtown Abbey was his first recurring role in a TV series.
- Dan’s New York move was not only motivated by pursuing diversity in work projects but also his health. Owing to the stability of a recurring role in Downtown Abbey, Dan took his health for granted.
- Taking note of criticism of his increasing weight by fans on Twitter, Dan started training seriously to regain his fitness.
- He admitted that while in London, he could get away with hiding his body under layers of tweed to cover the fat gained by drinking too much beer.
- Now in New York, he follows an intense exercise regime that comprises of swimming, yoga and lifting weights at the gym. His physical transformation was radical and hard to miss.
- He lost 30 pounds for the Liam Neeson starrer A Walk among the Tombstones (2014) but gained half that weight in muscle for The Guest (2014) by lifting weights and practicing martial arts.
- Dan prefers the lean and agile body of a marine for himself rather than the build of a buff bodybuilder.
- For Beauty and the Beast, he concentrated on building a strong core and legs to withstand the challenge of walking and dancing in ten-inch metal stilts while wearing a 40-pound muscle suit. Dan revealed that a functionally strong ripped mid-section that he developed while shooting for the movie improved both his breathing and singing.
- He hired a nutritionist in New York and subscribed to a dairy free, gluten free diet and consumes his coffee, black.
- While shooting for Beauty and the Beast, Dan consumed a high protein diet and confessed eating four roast meals a day just to retain his muscle and strength.
Dan Stevens Favorite Things
- Book – Matilda by Roald Dahl
- London Restaurants – Hereford Road, Banners, The Ivy, Sheekey, any Indian restaurant
- Chocolate – Wispa Bars
- About acting in Beauty and the Beast (2017) – Stilt walking
- Beverage – English Breakfast Tea, Coffee
- Film – If… (1968)
- Shoe Type – Brogue Boots
- Hobby – Reading
- TV Shows – The Wire, The West Wing, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad
- Poets – Beat Poets, William Blake, Seamus Heaney
- Expensive Indulgence – Traveling
Dan Stevens Facts
- He was adopted when he was 7 days old and was brought up in Brecon, Wales and South-East England.
- Dan is unaware of the identity of his biological parents and has never tried to trace them out due to a sense of loyalty to his adoptive parents.
- He was hyperactive and restless as a child in school. Participation in a school play deemed as a punishment unexpectedly became a source of emotional release for him.
- Other than English, he also speaks French and German.
- While studying in Tonbridge, Dan often felt suffocated by the strict environment of his school. He rebelled by smoking openly and participating in demonstrations. This often got him suspended. His drama teacher, Lawrence Thornbury and English teacher, Jonathan Smith took him under their wing and helped him manage his emotions by encouraging a deeper interest in Literature.
- While studying in Cambridge, Dan aspired to be a stand-up comedian and practiced various sketches with Mark Watson and Tim Key as a member of the Footlights Dramatics club.
- Sir Peter Hall spotted Dan playing Macbeth opposite his daughter, Rebecca Hall while he was still a Cambridge student. Six months after Dan’s graduation, he hired him as the lead of the USA touring production, As You Like It which set Dan’s acting career in motion.
- Dan paid a tribute to his high school mentor & novelist, Jonathan Smith by playing the co-lead in a film adaptation of one of his books, Summer in February (2013).
- He calls his wife’s hometown in Johannesburg, South Africa as their second home after England.
- While filming Downtown Abbey, he used to dye his hair blonde.
- Dan frequently narrated on BBC Radio 4 from 2006 to 2012 and gave voice-over to more than 30 audio books that range from ancient Greek classics such as The Illiad and The Odyssey to Ian Fleming’s Casino Royale.
- He was one of the judges for the Man Booker Prize (Fiction) in 2012 and had to read 147 books in 8 months as part of his job.
- His Downtown Abbey character, Matthew Crawley was killed off so unexpectedly and abruptly on the Christmas special episode aired on Christmas day (2012) that it resulted in a sweeping Twitter outrage among all the fans.
- He is a close friend of Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, and Matt Smith.
- He was a regular columnist for The Telegraph from 2011 to 2013.