Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch
The Batch, Ben, BC
London, England, United Kingdom
Hampstead, North London, England
Cumberbatch started going to boarding school at the age of 8. He studied at Brambletye School in West Sussex and Harrow School, from where he has an art scholarship.
His interest in acting began at Harrows wherein he participated in various Shakespearean works.
After completing school, he volunteered for an English teaching job at a Tibetan Monastery in Darjeeling, India, which lasted for one year.
As soon as he returned, he started pursuing his career in acting by taking Drama classes from the University of Manchester wherein he has a BA degree in Drama and followed it by training from London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, from where he graduated with an MA in Classical Acting.
Actor, Film Producer, Voice artist
- Father – Timothy Carlton (Actor)
- Mother – Wanda Ventham (Actress)
- Siblings – Tracy Peacock (Step-Sister)
- Others – Henry Carlton Cumberbatch (Participated in both World Wars as Submarine Officer) (Paternal Grandfather), Henry Arnold Cumberbatch (Consul General for Queen Victoria in Turkey and Lebanon) (Paternal Great Grandfather)
Benedict Cumberbatch is currently attached to Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd, UK.
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Benedict Cumberbatch has been romantically linked with –
- Olivia Poulet (1999-2011) – Benedict first met actress and screenwriter Olivia Poulet at the University of Manchester in 1999 where Benedict was studying drama. Subsequently, they fell in love and started dating each other. Together, the duo appeared in a TV show, namely, Sherlock. The couple announced their breakup in 2011, after having been in a 12-year long relationship.
- Anna Jones (2011-2012) – Benedict dated fashion designer Anna Jones from 2011 to 2012.
- Lydia Hearst (2012) – Benedict was RUMORed to have had a fling with American actress and fashion model, Lydia Hearst in March 2012.
- Liv Tyler (2012) – Benedict was RUMORed to be dating American actress and former child model, Liv Tyler nearing August 2012.
- Lara Pulver (2012) – Benedict was RUMORed to have had an encounter with actress Lara Pulver in October 2012.
- Katia Elizarova (2012) – Benedict was RUMORed to have had a fling with Russian model and actress Katia in late 2012.
- Charlotte Asprey (2013) – Benedict had an encounter with Charlotte Asprey when they met during his birthday bash at London’s swanky club Cirque Le Soir.
- Dakota Johnson (2013) – In December 2013, Benedict was RUMORed to have had a fling with actress Dakota Johnson.
- Sophie Hunter (2014–Present) – Benedict met theater director Sophie Hunter in 2009 on the set of Burlesque Fairytales. Their actual romance started in 2014 when Benedict was busy shooting for various films. The couple got engaged in a private ceremony in November 2014. They finally tied the knot on February 14, 2015, at the 12th century Church of St. Peter and St. Paul on the Isle of Wight and subsequently welcomed their first child in June 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
He has naturally Blonde hair color.
- Rich baritone voice
- Blue-green eyes
- Natural method acting
- Tiny wrinkle on the nose
- Often plays highly intelligent and gifted characters
- Sharp cheekbones
His shoe size is speculated to be 12 (US).
Benedict has appeared and narrated several TV commercials such as MG GS “Chinese Car Advertisement” (2015), Dunlop (2014), Google + Tom “Campaign” (2012), Jaguar Alive (2012), Sony Handycam NEX-5N (2012), Jaguar XFR Growler (2011) and Hiscox “There is a light” (2012).
Best Known For
His portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the hit BBC TV series Sherlock (2010-Present), as the villain Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek into Darkness (2013) and as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game (2014).
As an Actor
He appeared in the short film Hills Like White Elephants in 2002 for his role as The Man.
He then, played as The Royalist in his next film To Kill a King in the year 2003.
As a Producer
He starred as well as produced the 2013 short film Little Favour which was made on a budget of $870,000. It is currently available on iTunes.
First TV Show
Benedict portrayed the role as Charles / Party Guest / Toby Fisher on ITV’s police drama series Heartbeat from 1998 to 2004 in just 3 episodes.
According to Independent.co.uk, he follows the 5:2 plan in daily routine, which means he eats anything he likes for five days and for the remaining two days, he consumes less than 600 calories.
Benedict Cumberbatch Favorite Things
- Restaurant – Osteria Emilia at Fleet Road, Hampstead
- Place – Galaxidi of Greece, Villedieu in the South of France and New York
- TV Shows – The Wire (2002-2008), The Office (2005-2013), The West Wing (1999-2006), Mad Men (2007-2015), The Sopranos (1999-2007), Breaking Bad (2008-2013), The Killing (2011-2014)
- Authors – Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Charles Dickens, Paul Auster
- Actors – Jack Nicholson, Steve McQueen, Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen, Stephen Dillane
- Sport – Skydiving, hot-air ballooning, scuba diving, snowboarding, horse-riding, and motor-bikes
- Filmmakers – Stanley Kubrick, Michael Winterbottom, Steven Soderbergh, John Hughes, Alfred Hitchcock
- Movies – Ghostbusters (1984), Annie Hall (1977), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Singin’ in the Rain (1952), Wings of Desire (1987) and many more.
- Holiday Dish – Brussels Sprouts
- Color – Blue
Benedict Cumberbatch Facts
- He suffers from a disease called “heterochromia.” Therefore, his eyes have different colors. It generally changes from blue to green.
- He captured his audition on an iPhone in his friend’s kitchen for his role as Khan in Star Trek into Darkness.
- He thinks that he resembles like Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.
- He almost rejected to star as Sherlock Holmes because he believed that the remake would be Cheap and Cheesy.
- Before becoming an actor, he was thinking to become a lawyer.
- Steven Spielberg described him as The Best Sherlock on Screen.
- Benedict couldn’t believe when Harrison Ford expressed that he is a big fan of him.
- His real parents appeared in one of the episodes in the Sherlock TV series.
- There are more than 100 million words of Fan Fiction dedicated to him.
- For his portrayal of Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, he received unanimous critical acclaim and subsequently earned his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
- Until 2015, he has always returned empty-handed from these prestigious award shows wherein he has six BAFTA nominations, five Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, and two Golden Globe Award nominations.
- In June 2015, for his contribution to the performing arts and charity, he was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) by Queen Elizabeth II during the Birthday Honours.
- He has been described as an expert in photobombing and has been given the title of King of photobombs by various media outlets.
- His female fans were called Cumberbitches which Benedict didn’t like and felt it insulted them, he then subsequently softened it to a more appropriate term Cumberpeople.
- He has been voted as the ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ in Empire and People magazine’s annual list on many occasions.
- His life’s principle is Nothing is Impossible. The word Impossible itself says, ‘I’m possible.’
- He likes to paint large oil canvases and is known to be a prolific painter. He has recently donated his artworks to various charities and organizations.
- In 2005, when he was in South Africa with his two friends, he got kidnapped and was held at gunpoint. Furthermore, he was taken to an unidentified location and was liberated without any explanation from the kidnappers.
- He was featured on the list of 100 Makers of the 21st Century by The Sunday Times in 2014 and the publication has heralded him as this generation’s Sir Laurence Olivier.
- He was featured in Time magazine’s annual list of 100 Most Influential People in the World for the year 2014.
- He is close friends with Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Tom Hardy, Matthew Goode, Zachary Quinto, and Eddie Redmayne.
- Since October 2014, Madame Tussauds London is showcasing the Benedict Cumberbatch wax figure.
- He is a Social Worker who represents The Prince’s Trust as its ambassador and supports various philanthropic activities that involve in helping deprived young people.
- After playing the role of Stephen Hawking in 2004 in the TV film Hawking, he has become the representative of Motor Neurone Disease Association and in 2014, he participated in the organization’s Ice Bucket Challenge.
- When he was 12, he played the role of Titania, Queen of the Fairies, in the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- Benedict is not on social media.