|David Brenner Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 4, 1936|
|Date of Death||March 15, 2014|
David Brenner was an American stand-up comedian, actor, television personality, radio personality, and author. Many believe that he “was a pioneer of observational comedy”. He frequently appeared as a guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in the 1970s and 1980s. During the course of his career, David Brenner was also a part of several other projects such as Modern Family, Arli$$, Snip, The Real Tom Kennedy Show, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Virginia Graham Show, The David Frost Show, When Jews Were Funny, The Dean Martin Comedy World, The Bobby Vinton Show, American Bandstand, The Mike Douglas Show, The Merv Griffin Show, Real Time With Bill Maher, Late Night with Conan O’Brien, The Daily Show, The Tragic Side of Comedy, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Just for Laughs, and Late Show with David Letterman.
David Norris Brenner
He was born on February 4, 1936.
On March 15, 2014, David Brenner died from pancreatic cancer at the age of 78 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
He resided in Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States.
For some time in the 2000s, he resided in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.
David Brenner graduated high school and then joined the U.S. Army. After he was discharged from the U.S. Army, he enrolled at Temple University situated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and majored in mass communication and graduated with honors.
Stand-up Comedian, Actor, Television Personality, Radio Personality, Author
- Father – Louis (He was a vaudeville comedian, singer, and dancer who performed under the stage name of “Lou Murphy”.)
Observational Comedy, Self-Deprecation, Topical Comedy
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $4 Million at the time of his death.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David Brenner dated –
- Geraldine Judith Leno (1964-1967) – He married Geraldine Judith Leno in the year 1964 but the marriage ended in divorce in 1967.
- Charisse Brody (1980-1983) – David Brenner went out with Charisse Brody between 1980 and 1983.
- Elizabeth Slater (2000-2003) – On February 19, 2000, he got married to Elizabeth Slater in the closing minutes of his David Brenner: Back with a Vengeance! HBO Special recorded in Las Vegas. They were blessed with 2 sons named Slade and Wyatt and the duo would later fight two custody battles, both of which Brenner won. They divorced in 2003 and David claimed that their first year of marriage was “the best year I had in my whole life … I was the happiest man in the world” but then she grew “into this new person”, stating that he did not fit into her new lifestyle.
- Tai Babilonia (2002 – 2009) – He started going out with former pair skater Tai Babilonia in 2002 and they eventually got engaged in 2005. However, they later called off the engagement and decided to part ways.
- Ruth Brenner (m. 2011-2014) – David Brenner tied the knot with Ruth Brenner in 2011 and they remained together until his death in 2014.
Note – He also had a son named Cole.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
He was raised in a Jewish household.
David Brenner Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in South and West Philadelphia.
- David’s father gave up his career and a film contract in order to please Brenner’s grandfather, a rabbi, as the latter objected to his working on the Sabbath.
- David Brenner went on to spend 2 years in the U.S. Army after completing high school and served in the 101st Airborne and as a cryptographer of the 595th Signal Corps in Böblingen, Germany.
- He was cast as a Charity Ball Auctioneer in the 1989 romantic comedy film Worth Winning, starring Mark Harmon, Madeleine Stowe, and Lesley Ann Warren.
- One of his friends was actor, comedian, and writer Richard Lewis who described David Brenner as “the king of hip, observational comedy.”
Featured Image by NBC / eBay / Public Domain