|Dilip Shanghvi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||October 1, 1955|
Dilip Shanghvi is an Indian businessman and founder and MD of Sun Pharmaceuticals who has established himself as one of the richest people in the country.
Amreli, Gujarat, India
Dilip Shanghvi studied at J. J. Ajmera High School (later: The Bhawanipur Gujarati Education Society School) located in the Bhawanipur area of Kolkata. He also attended Bhawanipur Education Society College and then received a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Calcutta.
Businessman, Founder and MD of Sun Pharmaceuticals
- Father – Shantilal Shanghvi
- Mother – Kumud Shanghvi
Dilip Shanghvi has an estimated net worth of $15.5 billion as of late 2022.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dilip Shanghvi has dated –
- Vibha Shanghvi – He is married to Vibha Shanghvi and they parent 2 children – a son named Aalok Shanghvi and a daughter named Vidhi Shanghvi. Both children work in the family business, i.e. Sun Pharmaceuticals.
Race / Ethnicity
Dilip Shanghvi is of Jain Bania descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Wears glasses
- Sports a mustache
Dilip Shanghvi’s Favorite Things
- Cuisine – South Indian
Source – Forbes.com
Dilip Shanghvi Facts
- He grew up in the Burrabazar locality of Calcutta.
- Initially, he used to provide a helping hand to his father in his wholesale generic drugs business. Eventually, Dilip Shanghvi decided to start his own company and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries was founded in 1982 with a capital of INR 10,000.
- He received the civilian honor of Padma Shri in 2016.
- In 2017, he was appointed as a trustee of the Rhodes scholarship program at Oxford University.
- Dilip Shanghvi became a member of the Reserve Bank of India’s 21-member central board committee in January 2018.
- He was placed on the 8th spot in the “India’s Most Powerful People of 2017” list curated by India Today magazine.
- As of October 2019, he was the 12th richest person in India with a net worth of US$6.9 billion as reported by Forbes.
- Dilip Shanghvi’s biography titled “The Reluctant Billionaire” by journalist Soma Das was released in 2019 and the book was nominated for a Tata Literature Award in the “Best Business Book” category in November 2019.
- Shrinathji is Dilip Shanghvi’s family deity and they gracefully sit at the Sun’s factories and offices.
Featured Image by M.Arvindd Shanmugam / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0
FYI, Dilip Shanghvi is not Jain; but belongs to Vaishnav Kapol community (Hindu).
He also contributes and advertises on kapol-community programmes. Amreli-district which is native of Mr Dilip Shanghvi is predominantly Gujarati vaishnavs.