|Dilshan Madushanka Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 18, 2000|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Dilshan Madushanka is a Sri Lankan professional cricketer who has represented his country in the shortest format of the sport (T20Is), as a pace bowler. Before breaking into the senior national team in August 2022, he represented Sri Lanka at the 2020 Under-19 ICC (International Cricket Council) Cricket World Cup, where the team finished in 10th place in the 16-team competition. In Sri Lanka’s quarter-final match in the ‘plate league’ (conducted for the 8 teams that did not finish in the ‘Top 2’ positions in the group stage) of the tournament, against Nigeria, Dilshan recorded a 5-wicket haul (5/36) in a massive 233-run victory. In the Sri Lankan domestic circuit, he has played for Colts Cricket Club across all 3 formats. At the franchise level, he has turned out for Dambulla Viiking (2020), Galle Gladiators (2021), and Jaffna Kings (2022) in the LPL (Lanka Premier League). He was a key member of the Jaffna Kings squad that had won the LPL title in the 3rd edition of the tournament, in December 2022.
Lokumarakkalage Dilshan Madushanka
Hambantota, Hambantota District, Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Dilshan had attended the Vijayaba National School, a combined national primary and secondary school located in Hungama, Southern Province, Sri Lanka.
- Father – Sujith Krishantha (Fisherman)
- Siblings – Sudesh Nirmal (Older Brother), Nipun (Younger Brother)
Left-Arm Medium Fast
98 – T20 International (T20I)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Sri Lankan descent.
- Toned physique
- Slightly overgrown, side-cropped hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a thin beard
Dilshan Madushanka Facts
- In September 2022, Dilshan was a key part of the Sri Lankan squad that won the ACC (Asian Cricket Council) Asia Cup for the 6th time. The tournament was started in 1984 as a measure to promote goodwill between Asian countries. As of December 2022, the tournament had maintained its status as the only continental championship in international cricket.
- He made his T20I debut for Sri Lanka on August 27, 2022, against Afghanistan, in the teams’ opening match of the group stage of the 2022 ACC Asia Cup. Sri Lanka suffered a humiliating 8-wicket defeat in that match but bounced back with a narrow 2-wicket win over Bangladesh in the teams’ 2nd and last match of the group stage; a do-or-die encounter after Bangladesh too had been beaten by Afghanistan.
- In the next phase (Super Four) of the tournament, Dilshan was Sri Lanka’s best bowler in its first 2 matches – 2/37 in 4 overs against Afghanistan and 3/24 in 4 overs against double-defending champions India.
- Sri Lanka successfully chased down totals in excess of 170 runs in the final over of both those matches, results that virtually sealed a place for the team in the final of the tournament where they would beat Pakistan by 23 runs. Dilshan finished as the joint 9th-best bowler in the tournament with 6 wickets to his name. He also ended up with an excellent strike rate of 20 balls bowled per wicket.
- This fairytale triumph at the 2022 ACC Asia Cup where they were rank outsiders was not just what the doctor ordered for Sri Lankan cricket (which has struggled with inconsistent performances on the international stage in recent years), it was also a much-needed moment of cheer for the cricket-crazy Sri Lankan people who were facing their worst economic crisis since independence which had resulted in the country declaring bankruptcy, prices of fuel and daily necessities shooting through the roof, and a severe shortage of medicines and other essentials.
Featured Image by Dilshan Madushanka / Instagram