|DJ Muggs Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 28, 1968|
DJ Muggs is an American DJ, actor, rapper, and record producer. He is best known as the founder of the Los Angeles-based hip hop project, Soul Assassins, through which he released 4 albums between 1997 and 2018. He was also a member of the hip hop group Cypress Hill and trip-hop band, Cross My Heart Hope To Die.
Muggs, The Black Goat, Soul Assassins
Queens, New York, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
He attended Bell Gardens High School in Bell Gardens, California, United States.
DJ, Record Producer, Actor, Rapper
DJ Muggs is represented by Copeland Entertainment (Talent Agent) in Encino, California, United States.
Rap/Hip-Hop, Trip-Hop, West Coast Dubstep
Turntables, Sampler, Rhythm Composer, Drum Machine
- Columbia Records
- Ultra Records
- Angeles Records
- Alpha Pup Records
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
DJ Muggs has dated –
Note: He has a daughter named Francisca, called Frankie for short.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White and Latino)
He is of Cuban and Italian descent.
- Multiple tattoos
- Goatee facial hair
DJ Muggs Favorite Things
- Artists (In 2013) – Roc Marciano, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Kendrick Lamar, Chief Keef, Joey Badass, Rockie Fresh
- Hip Hop Group (In 2013) – Flatbush Zombies
- Album Of All Time – It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988) by Public Enemy
Source – YouTube
DJ Muggs Facts
- He was adopted into a Norwegian family as a child. He has also been to Norway and loved it.
- DJ Muggs moved from New York to Los Angeles, California to live with his mom at the age of 14. He didn’t like it at 1st because he experienced a massive culture shock.
- He made his debut as a DJ for a hip hop group titled The 7A3. However, they only released 1 album in 1988 before they disbanded.
- DJ Muggs met the future members of Cypress Hill, B-Real, and Sen Dog, at his house in Bell Gardens, California, and they formed the group in 1988. They were named after a Cypress Street/Avenue everybody lived on. Percussionist Eric “Bobo” Correa joined in 1994.
- He credits Cypress Hill for being the 1st hip-hop group that openly “rocked” tattoos, as well as the 1st hip-hop group that popularized the use of marijuana.
- DJ Muggs prefers smoking weed with rolling papers over blunts.
- He was very reluctant to switch to digital music production but he never wanted to stop learning. For that reason, he took 6 months off to follow tutorials and practice making music digitally. Two things that surprised him the most were the availability of sample packs and side-chaining.
- DJ Muggs released 2 solo studio albums Dust (2003), and Bass for Your Face (2013).
- As a producer, his biggest influences were groups such as EPMD, Ultramagnetic MCs, Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, and people such as Marley Marl and Rick Rubin.
- He has a pet of a Pitbull breed.
- DJ Muggs described his sound as “the tension you get when you enter a dark alley, see someone on the other end, and don’t know who it is”.
- For one of his projects, he went ahead and dedicated an entire month to learning everything he could about The Beatles.
- He drew inspiration from bands such as Ministry, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and music genres such as 2-step, drum and bass, jungle, and “old Bristol sound”.
- One of his projects that he named The Experience was inspired by the painting The Persistence of Memory (1931) by Salvador Dali.
- He and his fellow Cypress Hills members were honored with their star on The Hollywood Walk Of Fame on April 18, 2019.
Featured Image by Mika-photography / Wikipedia / CC BY-SA 3.0