|Ab-Soul Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||February 23, 1987|
Ab-Soul has earned quite some fame for the quality of his rap verses and his brilliant delivery. Although he has released most of his music in collaboration with indie labels, he has managed to earn quite a mainstream fan following. His collaboration with Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, and Schoolboy Q through the rap group, Black Hippy, has also helped him gain a lot of exposure.
Herbert Anthony Stevens IV
Los Angeles, California, United States
Carson, California, United States
Ab-Soul decided to get enrolled in a community college after the completion of his school education. However, after just 1 semester, he realized that college wasn’t for him. So, he dropped out to focus on his rapping career.
- Father – His father was in the military.
Ab-Soul is managed by Dave Free.
- Top Dawg Entertainment
- StreetBeat Entertainment (Former)
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ab-Soul has dated –
- Alori Joh – Ab-Soul was reported to have previously dated singer, Alori Joh. Although he publicly claimed that they were just good friends, it was widely assumed that they were dating as they were virtually inseparable at the parties and events which they attended together. Alori’s sudden death in February 2012 was a huge shock for the rapper and the fact that she had committed suicide made her departure more painful for him.
- Yaris Sanchez (2013-Present) – He started dating Instagram model Yaris Sanchez in the early months of 2013. They were spotted at a number of events together before they finally publicly acknowledged their relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African-American ancestry.
- Curly voluminous hair
- Dark Lips
- Wears dark shades
- Ab-Soul has done endorsement work for Vitamin Water.
- He has also used his social media activity to plug products such as Vita Coco.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the American hip hop group, Black Hippy, along with Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, and ScHoolboy Q
- The commercial success of his studio album, These Days…, which debuted in the 11th spot on Billboard 200 charts and sold over 20k copies within the first week of release
- The critical acclaim garnered by his studio album, Control System, which was considered the 12th best hip-hop album of the year by Spin Magazine in 2012
In April 2011, he released his debut studio album, Longterm Mentality. The album didn’t gain much success on the music charts but was well received by the critics.
First TV Show
In 2013, Ab-Soul made his first TV show appearance on the music TV series, RapFix Live.
Ab-Soul Favorite Things
- His mother raised him on her own after divorcing his father.
- He got in touch with music at a very young age as his family owned a record store called Magic Disc Music. His mother used to run the store and he used to go there daily after school.
- Although Ab-Soul has become a rapper, growing up, he didn’t listen predominantly to hip-hop music. In his family store, they mostly used to play R&B, jazz, gospel, blues, and reggae. The hip-hop music was avoided because of the profanities.
- He wrote his first rap verse at the age of 12 by incorporating beats to rapper Twista‘s, Emotions. Soon, he started taking full interest in learning the craft.
- After graduating from high school, he signed a recording contract with an independent record label called StreetBeat Entertainment in 2005.
- In 2007, he signed the recording deal with an indie record label, Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE). He had met the TDE President and Chairman, Punch in 2006 and despite being officially signed with StreetBeat, he soon started working with TDE.
- Early in his career, he was a member of the rap duo called Area 51, alongside the Brooklyn based rapper, Snake Hollywood.
- As his father was serving in the military, he had to spend the first 4 years of his life in Germany. After his parents decided to divorce, he moved with his mother to live in Carson, California in his grandmother’s house.
- When he was 10 years old, Ab-Soul had to be hospitalized after he contracted Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which is a form of severe skin reaction. It is due to this condition that he has dark lips and light-sensitive eyes and is required to wear dark shades for his public performances.
Featured Image by The Come Up Show / Flickr / CC BY-ND 2.0