|Dolph Lundgren Quick Info
|6 ft 5 in
|Date of Birth
|November 3, 1957
Dolph Lundgren is a Swedish actor, filmmaker, and martial artist who is best known for portraying roles such as Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, He-Man in Masters of the Universe, Lt. Nikolai Petrovitch Rachenko in Red Scorpion, Frank Castle in The Punisher, Gunner Jensen in The Expendables, Ivan Drago in Creed II, Konstantin Kovar in Arrow, and Sergeant Andrew Scott in Universal Soldier. He has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as The Shooter, Men of War, Aquaman, Workaholics, Sharknado 5: Global Swarming, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and many more. His theatre credits include plays like Another Octopus and Force Majeure.
Spånga, Stockholm County, Sweden
Los Angeles, California, United States
After graduating from high school with straight As, Dolph Lundgren went to the Washington State University where he studied chemical engineering for a year.
He then had to serve a mandatory year with Swedish Marine Corps at the Amphibious Ranger School.
Later, he got enrolled at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and graduated with a degree in chemical engineering.
Then, he got admission at the University of Sydney and graduated in 1982 with master’s degree in chemical engineering.
In 1983, he was given admission at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on a Fulbright Scholarship. However, he later dropped out to pursue an acting career.
Actor, director, screenwriter, producer, martial artist
- Father – Karl Johan Hugo Lundgren (Economist and Engineer for the Swedish Government)
- Mother – Sigrid Birgitta (Language Teacher)
- Siblings – Johan Lundgren (Older Brother), Annika Lundgren (Sister), Katharina Lundgren (Sister)
- Others – Johan Magnus Lundgren (Paternal Grandfather), Gerda Eugenia Pettersson (Paternal Grandmother), Olof Tjerneld (Maternal Grandfather), Dora Larsson (Maternal Grandmother)
Dolph Lundgren is represented by Los Angeles based Zero Gravity Management.
6 ft 5 in or 196 cm
88 kg or 194 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dolph Lundgren has dated –
- Grace Jones (1983-1986) – Dolph first met singer and actress Grace Jones in 1983 in Sydney. She had spotted him at a nightclub and decided to hire him as her bodyguard. Soon after, they became lovers and Dolph moved with Jones to the United States. While living in New York City in her apartment, he started his modeling career. With her assistance, he managed to bag a small role in the action movie, A View to a Kill. Grace had already been cast in a major role in the movie and on the sets of the movie, she asked Lundgren to try out for a part in the movie. They eventually ended their relationship in 1986. However, even years after their breakup, it was reported that they were occasionally having sexual encounters. In his later interviews, Dolph confessed that he felt uncomfortable during his relationship with Jones as he was treated as her eye candy. However, he stressed that Jones had always treated him with respect.
- Seka – Lundgren is reported to have had an affair with American p*rnographic actress Seka in the past.
- Leslie Ann Woodward – According to reports, Dolph had a fling with actress Leslie Ann Woodward.
- Janice Dickinson – Dolph has had a sexual encounter with former supermodel Janice Dickinson in the eighties. In her 2007 interview, Dickinson claimed that Dolph’s then-girlfriend Grace Jones was also involved in their fling. During her appearance in Alan Carr: Chatty Man, Jones verified Dickinson’s claims.
- Paula Barbieri (1987) – Dolph dated actress and model Paula Barbieri in 1987. They were spotted together at many high profile events including Jun Chong Tae Kwon Do Karate Tournament in April 1987 in Beverly Hills.
- Stephanie Adams (1991) – In 1991, Lundgren was rumored to be dating model and author Stephanie Adams. They had reportedly met at a party thrown by his former flame Grace Jones.
- Anette Qviberg (1994-2011) – Lundgren got married to the jewelry designer and fashion stylist Anette Qviberg in Marbella. After their marriage, they fell in love with Marbella and after living in a rented accommodation for some years, they decided to buy their family house there. During the course of their marriage, Anette gave birth to two daughters – Ida Sigrid Lundgren and Greta Eveline Lundgren. Their both daughters were born in Stockholm. The 2009 burglary attempt left Anette traumatized and their daughter Ida suffered from PTSD as well. They decided to end their marriage in 2011. However, they remain on good terms and are often seen holidaying with their daughters in Marbella.
- Jenny Sandersson (2011-2017) – Dolph reportedly started dating Jenny Sandersson, who also hails from Sweden and like Dolph is a karate champion, in 2011. They made their relationship formal by stepping out for a date at the Chateau Marmont. Their 24 years age gap was much discussed by the media. In 2014, they had reportedly ended their relationship. However, by the end of the year, it was claimed that they had secretly got engaged. Jenny also served as his personal hair and makeup artist. The couple separated in 2017.
- Emma Krokdal – Dolph later started dating Norwegian personal trainer Emma Krokdal and the couple got engaged in June 2020. They tied the knot on July 13, 2023, in Mykonos.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Swedish ethnicity.
- Imposing build
- Strong square jawline
- Bold blue eyes
- Deep resonant voice
Dolph Lundgren has appeared in the TV commercials for the following –
- John Deere
- SilverSands (South African online casino)
- Norton Internet Security 2011
- Orange TV
- Mother Energy Drink and Optus
- National Geographic’s Brain Games
- Ford EcoBoost
- US Pentathlon Olympic team
- Prime Male
He has also been featured in print adverts for The Man’s Diamond: The Gift of Success campaign that was launched by Diamond Information Center.
Lundgren was raised in a Lutheran household.
But as an adult, his spiritual and religious beliefs aren’t clear.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Soviet boxer Ivan Drago in the legendary boxing movie, Rocky IV.
- Having played the role of Gunner Jensen in The Expendables movie franchise.
- Having appeared in many popular action movies such as The Punisher, Universal Soldier, and Missionary Man.
In 1985, Dolph made his theatrical film debut in the James Bond movie, A View to a Kill.
First TV Show
In 1986, Dolph Lundgren made his first TV show appearance on the French TV show, C’est encore mieux l’après-midi.
Dolph used to work 6 days a week with each session lasting for at least an hour. However, with the advancing age, he has made adjustments to his workout routine to suit his aging body. Before working out, he analyzes how he is feeling physically, what kind of schedule he has for that day, and whether he has any niggling injuries.
When he is living in Los Angeles, Dolph usually works out at the Equinox gym. When he is at his holiday home in Marbella, he hits the Qi Sport Gym in Puerto Banús for his workouts. Apart from weightlifting, he has a habit of practicing karate and sparring in the gym.
He makes sure that he is supplementing his grueling workouts with healthy food. Dolph often credits Sylvester Stallone for improving his eating habits and making him a serious bodybuilder. He focusses on eating a lot of protein throughout the day and splits his daily dietary intake into five or six small meals.
Dolph Lundgren Favorite Things
- Soccer Club – Everton FC
- Books – Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Movie – Conan the Barbarian (1982)
- Place for Shooting – Los Angeles and Thailand
- Pie – Pecan pie with ice cream and whipped cream
- Meal – Medium cooked steak with charred sides and baked potatoes
- Dessert – Apple pie with some ice cream
- Wine – Opus One
Dolph Lundgren Facts
- He was often physically abused by his father while growing up. He often used to call him a loser, which made Dolph very ambitious while growing up.
- While growing up, he suffered from a number of allergies. He also struggled with insecurity.
- As a child, Dolph had an interest in drumming and wanted to become a rock star as an adult.
- At the age of 7, he started taking Gōjū-ryū and judo training. By the age of 10, he was taking Kyokushin karate classes.
- By 1978, he had managed to attain the rank of 2nd dan black belt in Kyokushin. He went on to win the European championships in 1980 and 1981. He also won the heavyweight tournament in 1982 in Australia.
- While studying at the University of Sydney, he used to work as a bouncer in nightclubs to fulfill his financial needs.
- He is fluent in English and his mother tongue Swedish. He can also converse in French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish with varying degrees of fluency.
- In May 2009, three masked burglars broke into his house in Marbella and tied her wife up. However, after finding Lundgren’s family photo and realizing that they were in Lundgren’s house, they fled.
- At the 1996 Summer Olympics, he was the team leader of United States modern pentathlon team.
- He had a serious interest in bagging the role of Ben Richards in The Running Man. But Arnold Schwarzenegger managed to beat him for the role.
- He had auditioned for a role in Rambo: First Blood Part II but was unsuccessful.
- In the late 1980s, he was caught in a controversy in his native Sweden after he refused to be interviewed in Swedish and asked it to be in English.
- For his breakout role of Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, he had to overcome competition from 5,000 other applicants. He had initially sent his pictures and videos to Sylvester Stallone’s distant contact, which led to Stallone contacting him.
- He had auditioned for the role of Hagen in Gladiator. But Ridley Scott wasn’t impressed with his acting skills and instead decided to cast Ralf Moeller in the role.
- He has published his book, Train Like an Action Hero: Be Fit Forever, in which he has channeled his extensive experience as a martial artist to lend training tips.
- During one action scene in Rocky IV, Dolph punched Stallone so hard in the chest that he had to spend some days in the intensive care unit due to swelling around his heart.
- However, Stallone’s insurance company didn’t believe his injury was caused by fellow fighter and might have happened due to a car accident. Stallone responded by claiming Lundgren himself was the truck that he collided head-on with.
- He is not a heavy drinker but he has ceded that he does love tequila and cocktails. Also, he loves using his chemical knowledge to make great cocktails.
- He was rejected by the Zoli Agency because they felt he was too tall and muscular to become a model.
- He participated in a real boxing match against former UFC fighter Oleg Taktarov. He lost the match via decision.
- As he wasn’t comfortable with the monologues written for Frank Castle in The Punisher, he decided to revise it on his own.
- During the screening of his movie The Universal Soldier at Cannes Film Festival, he got into a verbal altercation with co-star Jean-Claude Van Damme, which almost turned physical. The incident was dismissed as a publicity stunt by some publications.
- Dolph was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2015. The tumor was later surgically removed. However, the cancer came back in 2020, after which, Dolph underwent chemotherapy. In 2022, his tumors had shrunk by almost 90 percent and he later got the remaining scar tissue surgically removed.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0