|Draupadi Murmu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||June 20, 1958|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Draupadi Murmu is an Indian politician and former teacher who is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She served as the 9th Governor of Jharkhand from 2015 to 2021 and became the 1st governor of Jharkhand to complete the 5-year term. Draupadi Murmu also became the official nominee of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) for the 2022 presidential election and the first person, man or woman, belonging to a scheduled tribe, to be nominated for the post of President of India. In July 2022, she had won the election of President of India and took the oath on July 25, 2022. She has also served as the vice-president of Bharatiya Janata Party’s Scheduled Tribes Morcha.
Baidaposi, Mayurbhanj, Odisha, India
Draupadi Murmu studied at the Rama Devi Women’s College located in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
Politician, Former Teacher
- Father – Biranchi Narayan Tudu
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Draupadi Murmu has dated –
- Shyam Charan Murmu – She was married to the late Shyam Charan Murmu. The duo had 2 sons (both deceased) and a daughter named Itishri Murmu.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
Pierced nose and ears
Draupadi Murmu Facts
- Her grandfather served as the village headman under the Panchayati Raj system.
- Before becoming a politician, Draupadi Murmu was a teacher.
- In 1997, she was elected as the councilor of Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat.
- Draupadi Murmu became the first female Governor of Jharkhand as well as the first female tribal leader from Odisha to get appointed as a governor in an Indian state.
- She received the Nilkantha Award for “Best MLA” from the Odisha Legislative Assembly in 2007.
- On July 25, 2022, she had taken the oath as the first Tribal President of India. She is the second woman to hold the top constitutional position and became the 15th President of India.
- In 2022, she had won the Presidential election by defeating the opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha.
- ‘Draupadi’ is not her original first name. This name was given to her by her teacher. Her first name in Santhali is ‘Puti’. Overall, her name has been changed many times in the past. In Santhali culture, a girl takes the name of her grandmother.
- In October 2022, President Murmu was invited to celebrate Dussehra in Delhi’s Red Fort ground by the famous Lav Kush Ramlila Committee. Actor Prabhas and Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal were also the other 2 chief guests.
Featured Image by Ministry of Tribal Affairs / Government of India / Government Open Data License – India (GODL-India)