|Dwight D. Eisenhower Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 14, 1890|
|Date of Death||March 28, 1969|
Dwight D. Eisenhower was an American military officer and statesman who served as the 34th president of the United States from 1953 to 1961. He also served as Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe during World War II and achieved the five-star rank as General of the Army.
David Dwight Eisenhower
He was born on October 14, 1890.
On March 28, 1969, Dwight D. Eisenhower died of congestive heart failure at the age of 78 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., United States.
Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library, Museum and Boyhood Home in Abilene, Kansas, United States
Denison, Grayson County, Texas, United States
Dwight D. Eisenhower studied at Abilene High School and graduated with the class of 1909. He later graduated from the United States Military Academy (USMA) (also known metonymically as West Point).
Military Officer, Statesman
- Father – David J. Eisenhower
- Mother – Ida Stover
- Siblings – Earl D. Eisenhower (Younger Brother) (Electrical Engineer, Legislator), Edgar N. Eisenhower (Older Brother) (Lawyer, Businessperson), Milton S. Eisenhower (Younger Brother) (Academic Administrator, Served as President of Kansas State University, Pennsylvania State University, and Johns Hopkins University). Dwight also had one more older brother and 2 more younger brothers.
- Others – Jacob Frederick Eisenhower (Paternal Grandfather), Rebecca E. Matter (Paternal Grandmother), Simon P. Stover (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Juda Link (Maternal Grandmother), Milton S. Eisenhower Jr. (Nephew), Ruth Eakin Eisenhower (Niece)
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dwight D. Eisenhower dated –
- Mamie Doud (1915-1969) – He started going out with Mamie Doud in 1915. They met when Eisenhower was stationed in Texas. The duo eventually got engaged on Valentine’s Day in 1916 and married at the Doud family’s home in Denver on July 1, 1916. Their first son Doud Dwight “Icky” Eisenhower was born on September 24, 1917, but he died of scarlet fever at age 3 on January 2, 1921. On August 3, 1922, the couple welcomed its 2nd son John Sheldon Doud Eisenhower whose birth helped alleviate some of Mamie’s depression brought about by the death of her first child. Dwight and Mamie remained together until his death in 1969.
- Kay Summersby (1942) – It is RUMORed that he had an affair with Irish military serviceperson Kay Summersby in 1942. She served as a chauffeur and then as personal secretary to Eisenhower during his period as Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force in command of the Allied forces in northwest Europe.
Race / Ethnicity
Dwight D. Eisenhower was of German (including Swiss-German) descent.
Salt and Pepper
He was baptized in the Presbyterian Church in 1953.
Dwight D. Eisenhower Favorite Things
- Some Of His Favorite Subjects During The Years Of His Early Education – History, Arithmetic, Spelling
- Some Of His Fvaortiet Films – Angels in the Outfield (1951), High Noon (1952)
- Reading Material For Relaxation – The Western novels of Zane Grey
- Partner For Playing Bridge – General Alfred Gruenther
- TV Show – Green Acres
Dwight D. Eisenhower Facts
- He was named Dwight after the famous evangelist Dwight L. Moody.
- His hobbies included oil painting and playing golf.
- Dwight was against the use of atomic weapons in 1945.
- He was named Time magazine’s “Man of the Year” in 1944 and 1959.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower was inducted into the Hall of Great Westerners of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1973 and was inducted into the Texas Transportation Hall of Honor in 2016.
Featured Image by White House / Eisenhower Presidential Library / U.S. Federal Government / Public Domain