|Eilish McColgan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 25, 1990|
Eilish McColgan is a Scottish middle and long-distance runner who won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games in the 10,000 m event. She clinched the ‘Silver’ medal at the 2018 Berlin European Athletics Championships in the 5,000 m event and the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games in the 5,000 m event. She also secured the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2017 Belgrade European Athletics Indoor Championships in the 3,000 m event. As of mid-August 2022, she had held the European record in the 10 km road race event, and the British record in the 5,000 m and half-marathon events. She had also held the Scottish record in the 3,000 m steeplechase and 10,000 m events.
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
East Didsbury, Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Eilish had attended the High School of Dundee, an independent, co-educational, day school in her hometown of Dundee. After her high school graduation, she joined the University of Dundee, a public research university in Dundee. She studied mathematics and accountancy there and graduated in 2013.
Middle and Long-Distance Runner
- Father – Peter McColgan (Northern Irish Former Steeplechaser)
- Mother – Liz McColgan (b. Elizabeth Lynch) (Scottish Former Middle and Long-Distance Track and Road-Running Athlete, ‘Gold’ medalist in the 10,000 meters event at the 1991 World Championships, ‘Silver’ medalist in the 10,000 meters event at the 1988 Olympic Games)
- Siblings – Orla McColgan (Younger Sister), Kieran McColgan (Younger Brother), Martin McColgan (Younger Brother), Eamonn McColgan (Younger Brother)
- Others – Martin Lynch (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Lynch (Maternal Grandmother), John Nuttall (Step-Father) (British Athletics Coach, Former Long-Distance Runner), Luke Nuttall (Step-Brother) (Para-Athlete), Hannah Nuttall (Step-Sister) (Runner)
3,000 Metres, 5,000 Metres, 10,000 Metres, 3,000 Metres Steeplechase, Half-Marathon
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
53 kg or 117 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Eilish has dated –
- Michael Rimmer (2014-Present) – Eilish began dating English middle-distance runner Michael Rimmer in 2014. In March 2022, the couple launched a non-profit organization called Giving Back to Track to encourage youngsters to get involved in athletics.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Scottish and Northern Irish descent.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Affable smile
She has been sponsored by Asics, a Japanese multinational corporation that produces sportswear.
Eilish McColgan Facts
- Eilish first came into the spotlight in 2006 when she won the ‘Silver’ medal at the Scottish Schools Championships in the 1,500 m event and the ‘Bronze’ medal at the International Under-17s Schools Championships. She also won the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2008 Scottish Indoor Championships in the 1,500 m event.
- She was then selected to participate in the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games but a major knee injury took her out for nearly 18 months. She was also forced to miss out on the 2011 World Championships after breaking her foot at an athletics event in London.
- She clinched the ‘Silver’ medal in the 5,000 m event at the 2011 UK Outdoor Championships and the ‘Gold’ medal in the 1,500 m event at the 2011 Scottish University Championships. She then won the ‘Gold’ medal in both the 1,500 m and the 3,000 m events at the 2012 Scottish Universities Indoor Championships.
- In October 2018, Eilish won the Great South Run (an annual 10-mile (16.09 km) road running race that takes place in Portsmouth, United Kingdom) with a time of 54:43. Her mother, a decorated former athlete, and Eilish’s long-term coach, had won this race twice (1995 and 1997).
- In July 2021, she set a new British 5,000 m record with a time of 14:28.55, eclipsing a 17-year-old mark that was set by the legendary Paula Radcliffe. In October 2021, she won the Great South Run for the 3rd time with a time of 50:43, breaking the European mark.
- In February 2022, she established a new British record in the 5 km road race event with a time of 14:48, breaking the mark of 14:51 set by Paula Radcliffe in 2003. Later that month, she bettered Paula’s 21-year-old British half-marathon record by 21 seconds.
- In June 2022, she set a new Scottish 10,000 m record of 30:19.02, bettering the mark set by her mother in 1991.
- When she won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games in the 10,000 m event, she had set a new Commonwealth Games record with a time of 30:48:60.
- In Birmingham, she also won the ‘Silver’ medal in the 5,000 m event. It was Scotland’s 500th overall medal at the Commonwealth Games.
Featured Image by Eilish McColgan / Instagram