|Emmerson Mnangagwa Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 15, 1942|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Emmerson Mnangagwa is a Zimbabwean revolutionary and politician who started serving as the President of Zimbabwe on November 24, 2017. Also, he served as the country’s first Minister of State Security from 1980 to 1988 as well as served as the Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs from 1989 to 2000. Emmerson Mnangagwa was included in Time magazine’s list of “100 Most Influential People of 2018”.
Emmerson, Garwe, Ngwena, The Godfather
Shabani, Southern Rhodesia (later Zvishavane, Zimbabwe)
Emmerson Mnangagwa received his primary education at Lundi Primary School in Shabani as well as attended Myooye School in Mumbwa. He completed standards 4, 5, and 6 at Mumbwa Boarding School and attended Kafue Trade School in Kafue from 1958 to 1959.
Emmerson dropped out of Kafue Trade School in 1959 in order to attend Hodgson Technical College, one of the country’s leading educational institutions. He completed his Bachelor of Laws through the University of London International Programmes in 1972. Then, he received his postgraduate law degree from the University of Zambia. He has also trained at the Egyptian Military Academy in Cairo’s Heliopolis suburb.
- Father – Mafidhi Mnangagwa (Politically active farmer)
- Mother – Mhurai Mnangagwa (Politically active farmer)
- Siblings – He has 9 siblings.
- Others – Mubengo Kushanduka (Paternal Grandfather) (Served in the court of the Ndebele king Lobengula and fought in the Second Matabele War in the 1890s)
Note – He also has 8 additional half-siblings who were also his cousins.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Emmerson Mnangagwa has dated –
- Jayne Matarise (1973-2002) – In September 1973, he married his first wife Jayne Matarise (a cousin of ZANLA commander Josiah Tongogara) and they had 6 children – 5 daughters named Farai, Tasiwa, Vimbayi, Tapiwa, and Tariro and a son named Emmerson Tanaka. On January 31, 2002, Jayne Matarise died of cervical cancer.
- Auxillia Kutyauripo – Emmerson Mnangagwa started an affair with politician Auxillia Kutyauripo while he was married to Jayne Matarise and the couple’s first child, a son named Emmerson Jr., was born in 1984. They later welcomed twin sons Sean and Collins. Reportedly, Emmerson Mnangagwa and Auxillia Kutyauripo got married after the death of his first wife.
Race / Ethnicity
Emmerson Mnangagwa is of Shona descent.
Emmerson Mnangagwa Facts
- He decided to adopt the name “Emmerson” before his given name after finding a book in his school library by the American philosopher and poet Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- He survived an assassination attempt when a grenade exploded at White City Stadium in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe on June 23, 2018. Although Emmerson Mnangagwa escaped unharmed, at least 49 people were injured.
- President Joe Biden of the United States issued a statement on March 3, 2021, in which he criticized Emmerson Mnangagwa for violent repressions of citizens and lack of democratic reforms. Biden authorized an extension of US sanctions on Zimbabwe through a US national emergency declared in Executive Order 13288. Prior to the US’s decision, Emmerson Mnangagwa had claimed the US has “no moral right to levy sanctions” on Zimbabwe.
- He has been linked to the Gukurahundi massacres in which thousands of Ndebele civilians were killed during his tenure.
Featured Image by Government of Zimbabwe / Government of Zimbabwe / Public Domain