|Evgeniya Kanaeva Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 2, 1990|
Evgeniya Kanaeva is a Russian former rhythmic gymnast who is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest rhythmic gymnasts of all time. Over the course of her highly proficient career, she had won 2 ‘Gold’ medals at the Olympic Games, 18 medals at the Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships (17 ‘Gold’ and 1 ‘Silver’), 14 medals at the Rhythmic Gymnastics European Championships (13 ‘Gold’ and 1 ‘Silver’), 3 ‘Gold’ medals at the FIG (Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique) World Cup Finals, 15 ‘Gold’ medals at the Rhythmic Gymnastics Grand Prix Finals, and 4 ‘Gold’ medals at the World Games. From 2007 to 2012, she had finished in the ‘Top 6’ of the official world rankings for 6 years in a row. She was the world number one at the end of the 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012 seasons. She had retired from the sport in 2012.
Evgeniya Olegovna Kanaeva
Kanai, Zhenya, The Queen of Rhythmic Gymnastics, Mother Teresa
Omsk, Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR)
Evgeniya had attended the Siberian State University of Physical Training and Sports, a non-profit public higher education institution in her hometown of Omsk.
Rhythmic Gymnast (Retired)
- Father – Oleg Kanaev (Former Greco-Roman Wrestler) (d. October 2013)
- Mother – Svetlana Kanaeva (Former Rhythmic Gymnast)
- Siblings – Egor Kanaev (Older Brother) (Greco-Roman Wrestler)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Evgeniya has dated –
- Igor Musatov (2013–2018) – Evgeniya got married to former professional ice hockey player Igor Musatov on June 8, 2013. They have a son together named Vladimir (b. March 2014). The couple got divorced in 2018, reportedly due to Igor’s alcoholic behavior.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Russian descent.
- Toned physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Cheerful smile
- Gleaming face
Evgeniya has served as the brand ambassador for –
- Longines (2009–2012)
- Pantene (2012 London Olympics)
She had been sponsored by the American multinational financial services corporation Visa Inc. for the 2012 London Olympics.
Evgeniya Kanaeva Facts
- It was Evgeniya’s grandmother, a keen fan of rhythmic gymnastics and figure skating, who had introduced her to rhythmic gymnastics when she was 6 years old.
- Evgeniya, a sincere student, used to spend long hours practicing the sport even while her grandmother would wait to take her home. She was also nicknamed ‘Mother Teresa’ by the training staff owing to her kindness and concern for others.
- At the 2009 World Rhythmic Gymnastics Championships, she had become the first rhythmic gymnast to win all 6 titles (all-around, ball, hoop, ribbon, rope, and team) in a single edition of the tournament. She had repeated the feat in 2011.
- She holds the record of being the first gymnast to receive a perfect score under the 30-point judging system.
- At the 2012 London Olympics, she had become the first individual rhythmic gymnast in history to have won 2 Olympic ‘Gold’ medals in the all-around event. She had also become the oldest gymnast to have won an Olympic ‘Gold’ medal.
- She had once stated in an interview that she would learn to draw and play the piano after her retirement from rhythmic gymnastics. Her mother had revealed that Evgeniya was in the habit of saving her prize money for future education including the study of foreign languages and computer-related subjects.
Featured Image by Evgeniya Kanaeva / Instagram