|Florence Welch Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||August 28, 1986|
Florence Leontine Mary Welch
Flo, Flossy (her dad calls her by that name), Floaty
Camberwell, London, England
Florence went to Thomas’s London Day School, and later to Alleyn’s School in South East London.
Florence attended Camberwell College of Arts but dropped out to focus on her music career. Initially, she had planned to drop for a year and see if music would be a fit for her as a career. Because she did well with music, Florence never joined the college.
Singer, songwriter, musician
- Father – Nicholas Russell “Nick” Welch (Advertising Executive)
- Mother – Evelyn Welch (née Evelyn Kathleen Samuels) (Has served as the Professor of Renaissance Studies at King’s College London)
- Siblings – J.J. Welch (Younger Brother), Grace Welch (Younger Sister)
- Others – Craig Brown (Uncle) (Critic and Satirist), Colin Welch (Grandfather) (Political Journalist), John Stockwell (Uncle) (Actor), Sybil Welch (née Russell) (Paternal Grandmother)
Florence also has 2 half-brothers and 1 half-sister.
Moshi Moshi, Iamsound, Island, Universal Republic Records, Republic Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
58 kg or 128 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Florence Welch dated –
- Stuart Hammond (2008-2011) – From 2008 to 2011, Florence and literary editor Stuart Hammond were romantically linked to each other. They had also split in 2009 briefly. Finally, in 2011 after a mutual decision, the couple separated amicably because of their contradictory career demands.
- James Nesbitt (2012) – In January 2012, she started dating a special effects person, James Nesbitt. The relationship was short-lived.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Scottish ancestry on her father’s side.
She is naturally a “Brunette.”
But likes to dye her hair ‘Red.’
- Red hair
- Hippie style
- Lyric Mezzo-Soprano voice
33-24-34 in or 84-61-86 cm
2 (US) or 34 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 39 (EU)
She has appeared in Dominic Jones Jewellery commercial.
She is non-religious.
But, she shows her interest in religion by using words like “Jesus” and others in her songs. She does not practice any religion.
Best Known For
Being the lead vocalist of the indie rock band Florence + the Machine.
Florence first released the album Lungs under her band “Florence and the Machine” on July 3, 2009, through Island Records.
The album charted at #1 in UK music charts, #2 in Ireland, #14 in the U.S., etc. Worldwide, 3,000,000 copies of the album were sold.
The album was certified as 5x Platinum in Britain.
As an actress, she appeared in the 2016 drama musical film Weightless.
In July 2012, Florence had to cut all the caffeinated drinks because of her vocal illness. She was advised by her doctor to drink herbal tea instead. It was really difficult for her to stop having coffee, tea or even diet cokes, all of a sudden. She had a habit of drinking 2 coffees in the morning and 5 diet cokes in a day.
She eats for energy such as almonds which are full of protein and fiber and keeps you satiated for a longer time. Tuna is another low fat and high protein source.
She also munches on Pirate’s Booty clocks – 7 pieces at a time which are approx 10 calories at a time.
Because she is touring most of the time, her performances and gigs serve as her workout. Dancing and singing form a good cardio workout plus dancing is her all-time favorite thing too. It demands a lot of energy, so she tries to keep herself full of energy with the right choice of food.
Florence Welch Favorite Things
- Film – The Cockettes (2002)
- Artists – Ed Ruscha, Cy Twombly, Alberto Giacometti, Pablo Picasso
- Candy – Swedish fish
- Song – Total Eclipse of the Heart (By Bonnie Tyler)
- All-time Favorite Song – Try a Little Tenderness (By Otis Redding)
Florence Welch Facts
- Florence’s parents divorced in 1990 but later remarried.
- Her grandmother committed suicide when Florence was 14 years old. She was an art historian who had suffered from bipolar illness.
- Florence’s paternal grandmother encouraged her to pursue a career in performing arts and singing.
- She sang at her paternal and maternal grandmothers deaths.
- Through her mother, she has an American passport. Her mom is an American immigrant from New York.
- She has been diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia.
- Because she was shy, she used to drink before giving any performance on-stage. This continued to happen for 4 years.
- Once Florence accidentally set her hotel room on fire after she spent a musical wild night with Kanye West and Lykke Li. Due to this, she damaged her phone, dress, and teeth.
- One of her albums was inspired by singer Taylor Swift.
- At Coachella Music Festival 2015, Florence broke her foot when she was jumping off the stage.
- In 2012, she appeared in the music video of Calvin Harris‘ song “Sweet Nothing.”
- Welch started songwriting at 18 along with Isabella Summers who was Welch’s younger sister’s babysitter at that time. Later, Isabella joined Welch in the band Florence and the Machine.
- She got her first big gig in the bathroom of a bar when she was drunk. She approached DJ Mairead Nash and by impressing him, booked a big Christmas party performance.
- Previously, she used to go by the name “Florence Robot Was a Machine” as a solo artist. She also used several band names such as “Toxic Cockroaches,” “Florence Robot/Isa Machine” and others. But finally, she settled at (as well all know) Florence + the Machine.
- In 2011, she inspired Gucci’s entire collection.
- Dancing in supermarkets is her favorite thing.
- It may sound weird, but Florence’s mother does not listen to music as she has no interest in it.
- Actress Blake Lively is Florence’s best friend and best fan ever.
- Bowie and Jane Birkin are her style icons.
- Florence has been open about her struggles with depression, anxiety, and alcohol. She has revealed that she was an extreme drinker in the past and in February 2021, she celebrated her 7 years of sobriety.