|Frank Finlay Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 6, 1926|
|Date of Death||January 30, 2016|
Frank Finlay was an English stage artist, actor, and voice actor whose filmography consists of Othello, Life for Ruth, Private Potter, Doctor in Distress, The Informers, The Comedy Man, A Study in Terror, The Wild Affair, The Sandwich Man, The Deadly Bees, The Jokers, I’ll Never Forget What’s’isname, Robbery, Inspector Clouseau, Assault, The Shoes of the Fisherman, The Molly Maguires, Twisted Nerve, Cromwell, Gumshoe, Danny Jones, Neither the Sea Nor the Sand, The Three Musketeers, The Four Musketeers, The Wild Geese, The Return of the Soldier, Murder by Decree, The Ploughman’s Lunch, Enigma, The Black Adder, A Christmas Carol, The Key, Erebus: The Aftermath, 1919, King of the Wind, The Return of the Musketeers, Cthulhu Mansion, For My Baby, How Do You Want Me?, Stiff Upper Lips, Dreaming of Joseph Lees, The Martins, The Sins, The Pianist, Silent Cry, The Statement, The Lost Prince, Life Begins, and The Waiting Room. His performance in Othello (1965) got him nominated for an Oscar.
He was born on August 6, 1926.
On January 30, 2016, he died from heart failure at the age of 89 in Weybridge, Surrey, England, United Kingdom.
Weybridge Cemetery, Weybridge, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Farnworth, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
He resided in Weybridge, Surrey, England, United Kingdom.
Frank Finlay attended St Gregory the Great School. However, he was 14 years old when he left the school in order to train as a butcher at Toppings. He went on to earn a City and Guilds Diploma in the trade.
He later attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA) in London, England.
Stage Artist, Actor, Voice Actor
- Father – Josiah Finlay
- Mother – Margaret Finlay
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Frank Finlay had dated –
- Doreen Shepherd (1954-2005) – He got married to Doreen Shepherd in 1954 and they were blessed with 3 children – a daughter named Cathy Finlay and 2 sons named Stephen Finlay and Daniel Finlay. Doreen and Frank remained together until her death in 2005.
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair had turned “White” due to his advancing age.
Prematurely gray hair (later white)
Frank Finlay Facts
- He made his debut stage appearances at the local Farnworth Little Theatre and then went on to be a part of several stage productions including Much Ado About Nothing, The Party, Plunder, Saint Joan, Hobson’s Choice, Amadeus, The Dutch Courtesan, The Crucible, Mother Courage, and Juno and the Paycock.
- Alongside Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, and Joyce Redman, Frank Finlay co-starred as Iago (main antagonist) in Othello, a 1965 film based on the National Theatre Company’s staging of William Shakespeare’s Othello (1964-1966) staged by John Dexter. This role won Frank Finlay the San Sebastián International Film Festival Award for “Best Actor” while he was also nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”, BAFTA Award for “Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles”, and Golden Globe Award for “Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture”.
- He brought to life the character of William Grey in the 1982 drama film The Return of the Soldier, starring Julie Christie, Alan Bates, Glenda Jackson, and Ann-Margret. For this, he was nominated for a BAFTA Award for “Best Actor in a Supporting Role”.
- In the New Year’s Honours of 1984, Frank Finlay was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire.
- From 1998 to 1999, he was cast as Astley Yardley (Lisa’s father) in the television sitcom titeled How Do You Want Me?.
- Frank Finlay was a member of the British Catholic Stage Guild (later known as the Catholic Association of Performing Arts).