|Frankie Dettori Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||December 15, 1970|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Frankie Dettori is an Italian jockey whose career has spanned over 35 years.
Newmarket, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
Frankie Dettori left school when he was 13.
- Father – Gianfranco Dettori (A 13-time Italian Champion Jockey who had won the British 2,000 Guineas in 1975 on the Henry Cecil-trained Bolkonski and in 1976 on Wollow, also trained by Henry Cecil)
- Mother – Mara (Circus Performer)
- Siblings – He has a sister.
- Others – Secondina (Maternal Grandmother)
Frankie Dettori has been signed with –
- Classic Management, Artist Management Company, London, England, United Kingdom
- H Talent Management, United Kingdom
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, he has a net worth of $18 Million as of 2023.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Frankie Dettori has dated –
- Claire King – He previously had an affair with English actor Claire King.
- Catherine Dettori (1997-Present) – On July 20, 1997, he married Catherine Dettori at the Catholic church in Newmarket and they have been blessed with 5 children – Leo, Ella, Mia, Tallulah, and Rocco.
Race / Ethnicity
Frankie Dettori is of Italian descent.
Salt and Pepper
Flying dismount from the horse in the paddock after a winning race
Frankie Dettori has been cast in TV commercials for –
- Lloyds TSB (2001)
- Auto Trader (2004)
He provided his voice to a campaign in 2006 to raise jockeys’ weights, saying: “I am 5 ft 4 in [1.63 m] and weigh 9 st 9 lb [61 kg; 135 lb] but I have to sometimes go down to 8 st 6 lb [54 kg; 118 lb].”
Frankie Dettori Facts
- His parents divorced soon after his birth.
- Along with his sister, Frankie Dettori lived with his mother until he was 5 years old and the duo then started living with their father and stepmother.
- When he was a child, he took more interest in football than racing. However, things changed after his father bought him a palomino pony called Silvia when Frankie was 8 years old. He rode the pony in the Pony Derby at San Siro racecourse when he was 9 and came last and fell off after the finishing line.
- He left Italy for England in July 1985 in order to work in the yard of trainer Luca Cumani at Newmarket.
- In November 1986, Frankie Dettori recorded his debut win on the Turin racecourse. Later, on June 9, 1987, he recorded his first win in Britain at Goodwood riding Lizzy Hare to for Cumani.
- He was signed in September 1993 to ride Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum‘s horses trained by John Gosden.
- Alongside fellow jockey Ray Cochrane, Frankie Dettori was aboard a Piper Seneca plane on June 1, 2000, which crashed on takeoff at Newmarket on its way to Goodwood in Sussex. The pilot Patrick Mackey died in the accident while Dettori suffered a broken ankle and facial cuts and spent several days in Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
- In the 2001 New Year Honours, he was awarded an honorary MBE (honorary as he is a foreign national) for services to racing.
- Along with chef Marco Pierre White, he teamed up to open a chain of several Italian restaurants called Frankie’s Bar and Grill in 2004.
- Frankie Dettori was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science at Anglia Ruskin University in 2011.
- He was given a six-month suspension in December 2012 following a failed drug test in France in September and he later admitted to having used cocaine, stating in an interview on Channel 4: “Things were going bad, I was depressed and I guess a moment of weakness and I fell for it and I’ve only got myself to blame”.
- In 2013, Frankie Dettori participated in the television reality game show Celebrity Big Brother and became the 5th person to be evicted from the house.
Featured Image by frielp / Flickr / CC BY 2.0 DEED