|Gallant Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 14, 1991|
Gallant is an American singer, songwriter, and actor, well known for releasing a debut EP, Zebra, in 2014, and his first studio album Ology, in April 2016. Both of the projects were successful, but his debut album was praised for great songwriting, lyrics, and his vocal abilities. On February 5, 2016, Gallant went on to release the first collaborative song made in collaboration, with singer Jhené Aiko, named Skipping Stones, featuring a masterfully crafted mixture of his falsetto style and her mellow, a capella voice. His performance of the song at Coachella in 2016 was widely recognized, and Billboard named it the number one moment of the entire festival.
Washington, D.C., United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
After moving to Columbia, Maryland during his elementary school education, he attended Atholton High School.
Gallant then studied music at New York University Gallatin School of Individualized Study and graduated in 2013.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Unknown
Gallant is represented by –
- Stephanie Miles of TH3RD BRAIN
- Paul O’Donnell of Whiteboard PR
- Tom Windish and Christine Cao, Booking Agent (North America), Paradigm Talent Agency
- Sam Wald and David Levy of William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
R&B, Alternative R&B, Electronic, Alternative rock
His debut EP, Zebra (2014), was self-released.
Then, he got signed to the Mind of a Genius Records and Warner Bros. Records.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gallant prefers not to disclose a lot about his dating life.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African-American ancestry.
Gallant has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
He isn’t religious.
Best Known For
- His self-released debut EP, Zebra (2014) and hit single Weight in Gold released in 2015
- Releasing song Skipping Stones in collaboration with Jhené Aiko, on February 5, 2016
- His debut studio album Ology, released on April 6, 2016
Gallant’s first album, Ology, was released on April 6, 2016, under the Mind of a Genius record label. It was rated very high by various magazines such as The Guardian, Pitchfork, and Entertainment Weekly, who even named it one of the “25 Best Albums of 2016”.
The first film that he appeared in was Fear of Flying (2010), where he had the role of a classmate and was credited as Chris Gallant.
First TV Show
He made his television show debut on May 12, 2016, when he performed Weight in Gold on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
Gallant Favorite Things
- Superhero Power – Telekinesis
- Spirit Animal – Chipmunk
- Food – Avocado, Spinach
- Activity – Watching anime, Reading Manga, Going to the Beach
- Theme Song – Pokemon
- Musicians – Toni Braxton, BabyFace, Mary J. Blige
- Cartoon Character – Bugs Bunny, Alvin from Alvin & The Chipmunks
- Snack – Golden Graham cereals
- Author – Ann Coulter
- Country – Japan
- Anime – Death Note
Source – BusterandEllie.com
- The songs that influenced the creation of his debut album, Ology (2016), were I Get Lonely by Janet Jackson, I Wanna Know by Joe, Little Red Corvette, and Kiss by Prince, All in Me by Brandy Norwood, and He Hit Me (and It Felt Like a Kiss) by The Crystals.
- Brandy, an American singer, was his favorite singer growing up because he thought that she was underrated and one of the best singers.
- He is a self-proclaimed nerd and a very quiet person.
- He was born in Washington D.C. but moved with his family to Columbia, Maryland where he enrolled at Atholton High School. In 2013, after graduating from New York University, he moved to Los Angeles, California, to pursue his music career.
- Gallant started a YouTube video series named In the Room with Sufjan Stevens, an American singer, and songwriter. He performed one song per episode and collaborated with musicians such as John Legend, Seal, Andra Day, and Dua Lipa.
- He was chosen as the “Artist of the Month” by Elvis Duran in January 2017. Following that honor, he performed his song Weight in Gold on NBC’s The Today Show along with Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee.
- Gallant collaborated with Eric Nam and Tablo, an Epik High K-pop and hip-hop group member, and they released a song Cave Me In on January 26, 2017.
- His life motto is: “I don’t take things too seriously all the time. Don’t take yourself or anyone too seriously. Just focus on what you want to do.”
- He was nominated for the Grammy Award in 2017, in the category for “Urban Contemporary Artist”, but lost to Beyonce.
- Apart from studying music at the university, he was also studying sociology, anthropology, trends, and cultural movements.
- After hearing his song, Weight in Gold, in 2016, Elton John said that Gallant was “an artist to watch”, and that “he’s going to be huge”. They performed the said song together at the Apple Music Festival in London the same year.
- He claimed that his music was terrible and unlistenable in the beginning. People used to go silent when he asked them what their thoughts were.
- He wanted to be a voice actor when he was a kid, and cartoon characters from the Looney Toons were what inspired him.
- He cited BabyFace had the biggest influence on his melody and vocal delivery, while Seal, who he worked with multiple times, was his lyrical inspiration and influence.
- Gallant claimed he was petty in the past, and wouldn’t speak to friends after an argument, but tried actively to change that about himself.
- He sang a cover of Sufjan Stevens’ song, Blue Bucket Of Gold in 2016. Stevens himself sang back-up vocals on the cover.
- He claimed neither of his parents had any musical tendencies or abilities, and that he found strength and inspiration in his own creativity and isolation when they were working.
- His favorite fashion brand is John Elliott.
- He considered politics and news to be his guilty pleasure, and one of his favorite web shows was House of Cards that started airing in 2013.
- Gallant describes himself as a gamer, and his favorite games are Overwatch, Smash Brothers, Pokémon Go, and Settlers of Catan.
- At the beginning of 2017, Gallant was on the list for “30 Under 30 of 2017” by Forbes magazine for his contributions to music and society.
- Visit his official website @ www.gallant.space.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, YouTube VEVO, Last.fm, and SoundCloud.
Featured Image by Gallant / Instagram