|George Soros Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||August 12, 1930|
George Soros is a Hungarian businessperson, investor, hedge fund manager, author, and philanthropist. His family survived the Nazi occupation of Hungary and moved to the United Kingdom in 1947 and Soros later went on to start his first hedge fund, Double Eagle, in 1969. He has been a supporter of progressive and liberal political causes and his extensive funding of political causes has made him a “bugaboo of European nationalists”. There have also been a number of conspiracy theories about Soros and they have been described as antisemitic, owing to his Jewish roots. In October 2018, The New York Times reported that “conspiracy theories about him have gone mainstream, to nearly every corner of the Republican Party”. The Open Society Foundations (OSF) (a grantmaking network founded and chaired by Soros) has financially supported many civil society groups around the world. He was named the Financial Times Person of the Year for 2018, with the FT describing him as “a standard bearer for liberal democracy, an idea under siege from populists”.
George Soros, The Puppet Master, Spooky Dude, Blofeld
Budapest, Kingdom of Hungary (now Hungary)
New York City, New York, United States
George Soros attended the London School of Economics and obtained his Bachelor of Science in Philosophy in 1951 and a Master of Science in philosophy in 1954.
Businessperson, Investor, Hedge Fund Manager, Author, Philanthropist
- Father – Tivadar Soros (also known as Teodoro Ŝvarc) (Lawyer and a well-known Esperanto author who edited the Esperanto literary magazine Literatura Mondo)
- Mother – Erzsébet (also known as Elizabeth)
- Siblings – Paul Soros (Older Brother) (June 5, 1926 – June 15, 2013) (Mechanical Engineer, Inventor, Businessperson, Philanthropist)
- Others – Moritz/Mór Dov Schvarz/Schwartz (Paternal Grandfather), Berta/Bertha Perl Majer/Mayer (Paternal Grandmother), Mor Szűcs/Schwartz (Maternal Grandfather), Irma Brust (Maternal Grandmother), Daisy Margaret Soros (née Schlenger) (Sister-In-Law, Paul’s Wife) (Philanthropist), Peter (Nephew), Steven Paul (Nephew) (Died in early childhood), Linda (Niece) (Died in early childhood), Jeffrey (Nephew)
As of March 20, 2023, he had an estimated net worth of $6.7B according to Forbes.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
George Soros has dated –
- Annaliese Witschak (1960-1983) – He got married to Annaliese Witschak in 1960 and they had 3 children – sons Robert Daniel Soros (born 1963) and Jonathan Tivadar Soros (b. September 10, 1970) and a daughter named Andrea Soros Colombel (b. June 11, 1965). The couple divorced in 1983.
- Susan Weber (1983-2005) – Between 1983 and 2005, he was married to American historian Susan Weber and they parent 2 sons – Alexander Soros (b. 1985) and Gregory James Soros (b. 1988).
- Adriana Ferreyr (2006-2011) – Reportedly, he was romantically involved with Brazilian actor and entrepreneur Adriana Ferreyr from 2006 to 2011.
- Tamiko Bolton (2008-Present) – He met Tamiko Bolton in the year 2008 and they tied the knot on September 21, 2013
Race / Ethnicity
George Soros is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
He was born into a non-observant Jewish family.
In an interview with CBS News in 1998, Soros stated that he was not religious and did not believe in God.
George Soros Facts
- He founded Soros Fund Management in 1970.
- Along with Alfred Jones, Bruce Kovner, David Swensen, Jack Nash, James Simons, Julian Roberston, Kenneth Griffin, Leon Levy, Louis Bacon, Michael Steinhardt, Paul Tudor Jones, Seth Klarman, and Steven A. Cohen, George Soros was inducted into Institutional Investors Alpha’s Hedge Fund Manager Hall of Fame in 2008.
- He endorsed Hillary Clinton for the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
- Soros once said, “I’m not better than the next trader, just quicker at admitting my mistakes and moving on to the next opportunity.”.
- In late August 2023, the Soros-backed Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) was planning to expose some corporates in India.
Featured Image by Niccolò Caranti / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0