(G)I-dle is a South Korean multinational girl group that was formed by Cube Entertainment in the year 2018. The group has released a number of extended plays and singles which include the likes of I Made, I Am, Latata, and Senorita and has also amassed a huge social media fan base with more than 4 million followers on Instagram, more than 2 million subscribers on YouTube, and more than 800k followers on Twitter.
Seoul, South Korea
Cube Entertainment Inc., Universal Japan, Asian Agent
(G)I-dle has established itself as one of the well-known k-pop bands in the music industry and the members are hailed for challenging several gender norms and stereotypes. They are highly admired for their captivating stage presence during performances and have won multiple awards such as Golden Disc Award, Mnet Asian Music Award, Gaon Chart Music Award, Asia Artist Award, Korea Popular Music Award, Soribada Best K-Music Award, Melon Music Award, and Genie Music Award, amongst others.
- Jeon So-yeon has served as the leader of the girl group. She also had a part to play in the naming of the band as she was the one who suggested the name “Idle” to the company and after going through a lot of suggestions and changes, the group was finally named “(G)I-dle”.
- (G)I-dle released its debut EP, I Am, in May 2018 via Cube Entertainment and it comprised of songs such as What’s in Your House?, Latata, and Don’t Text Me. Also, the extended play was ranked at number #5 in the US World albums (Billboard) weekly chart, at number #6 in the South Korean Albums (Gaon) weekly chart, and at number #10 in the Taiwanese Albums (Five Music) weekly chart.
- The EP, I Am, was placed at number #11 on Billboard‘s “Best K-pop Album of 2018” list.
- The 2nd EP titled I Made by (G)I-dle was released on February 26, 2019, via Cube Entertainment Inc. and it was ranked at number #1 in the Taiwanese Albums (Five Music) weekly chart, at number #2 in the South Korean Albums (Gaon) weekly chart, and at number #5 in the US World Album (Billboard) weekly chart. Some of the songs from the EP were titled Blow Your Mind, Senorita, What’s Your Name, and Give Me You and the extended play also managed to secure the #62nd position in the South Korean Albums (Gaon) year-end chart.
- The girl-group has also collaborated on a couple of songs which include the likes of Follow Your Dreams, Pop/Stars, Young & One, Upgrade, and Mermaid.
- On July 31, 2019, (G)I-dle released its Japanese debut extended play, Latata, through Universal Music Japan and the EP included songs like Light My Fire, Latata, Hann (Alone), and For You. The EP was ranked at number #5 in the Japanese Albums (Oricon) chart and at number #8 in the Taiwanese Albums (Five Music) chart.
- (G)I-dle made it to the top of Billboard‘s list as the best new K-pop group of 2018.
- In 2019, the group became the youngest one to appear on the Mnet reality show, Queendom.
- The group was named as the new ambassador for Korean Children’s Diabetes Association on the 10th annual Children’s Diabetes Celebration Festival held at Lotte World Underground Kingdom in Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul.
- (G)I-dle members have been a part of several shows such as (G)I-dle: Vlog in New York, (G)I-dle: I-Talk, Queendom, (G)I-dle: Little but Certain Happiness, and To Neverland.
- In October 2022, the group released the music video for their new song Nxde. In April 2023, it became their fastest music video to surpass 200 million views on YouTube.
- In May 2023, (G)I-dle released their 6th mini album titled I feel.
Featured Image by 티비텐 / YouTube / CC BY 3.0