Seventeen is an award-winning South Korean boy band that made its debut in May 2015. The group has amassed a global fanbase with the release of popular songs such as Very Nice, Mansae, Don’t Wanna Cry, Home, Left & Right, etc. Their rapid success caught the attention of Billboard Magazine, which included Seventeen in their list of ’21 Under 21 2015: Music’s Hottest Young Stars’.
- Choi Seungcheol – Rapper, Dancer, Group Leader, Unit Leader
- Wonwoo – Singer, Songwriter, Rapper
- Mingyu – Singer, Songwriter, Rapper
- Vernon – Rapper, Songwriter
- Yoon Jeonghan – Singer
- Joshua – Singer
- Woozi – Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Unit Leader
- DK – Singer
- Boo Seung-kwan – Singer, Songwriter
- Wen Junhui – Singer, Dancer, Songwriter
- Hoshi – Singer, Dancer, Choreographer, Unit Leader
- The8 – Singer, Dancer, Songwriter
- Dino – Dancer, Rapper, Singer, Songwriter
Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, Hip Hop, Synth Pop, R&B, EDM
- Their debut EP 17 Carat (2015) was ranked at #9 in the Billboard‘s chart of ’10 Best K-Pop Albums of 2015’.
- Love & Letter (2016), their first studio album comprised of fan-favorite songs like Pretty U, Very Nice, Mansae, Adore U, etc.
- Their 2nd album Teen, Age (2017) peaked at #1 at both the Gaon Albums Chart and the US Billboard World Albums Chart.
- In 2019, their 3rd album An Ode was certified ‘3x platinum’ by the KMCA.
- In April 2023, SEVENTEEN released a new mini album titled FML. The album debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 chart. As of May 2023, this was their highest-ever entry on the Billboard 200 chart. In May 2023, FML received an official triple platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ).
- The band has 3 specialized sub-units – Vocals, Performance, and Hip Hop.
- The band name Seventeen denotes the sum of its various parts – 13 members + 3 sub-units + 1 group = 17.
- The band’s official colors Rose Quartz and Serenity were announced on October 6, 2016, which marked the 500th day since their debut.
- Their official fan club is known as ‘Carat’ as according to S.Coups, their fans are the carats that make Seventeen‘s diamonds shine.
- The group’s mascot is a doll named BongBong which was created by Mingyu.
- Seventeen is known as a self-producing group as all members actively contribute towards songwriting, choreography, music composition, etc.
- In 2017, the group released their official lightstick called Carat Bong. It was followed by an upgraded version which was released in July 2019.
- In January 2023, it was revealed that Seventeen had teamed up with the Korean National Commission for UNESCO to launch a new donation campaign to support the education of underprivileged children and youth in various Asian and African regions. For the campaign, the group had launched a special font, which would be gifted to donors who donate more than 1,700 won (approximately $1.40).
Featured Image by Soompi / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0