Gillian Leigh Anderson
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Central London, England, UK
American and British
Gillian went to Coleridge Primary School in North London.
After turning 11, she started studying at Fountain Elementary followed by City High-Middle School in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
In 9th grade (freshman year), Gillian developed an interest for theater and started participating in high school productions and community theater.
Gillian finished school in 1986 and auditioned to get into The Theatre School at DePaul University in Chicago, the only school she applied to. She was accepted and graduated with Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts (BFA) in 1990.
She was also selected to participate in a summer program organized by National Theatre of Great Britain at Cornell University, New York.
Actress, Producer, Director, Writer, Activist
- Father – Homer Edward Anderson III aka Ed (Post-production Company Owner)
- Mother – Rosemary Alyce née Lane aka Posie (Computer Analyst)
- Siblings – Aaron Anderson (Younger Brother) (DJ, Was in second-year Ph.D. program at Stanford University when he expired in 2011 due to brain tumor), Zoe Anderson (Younger Sister) (Ceramicist, Artist)
Gillian is signed with these agencies –
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA), Los Angeles, California
- Envision Entertainment (Manager)
- Finch & Partners, London (Marketing and Branding Management)
- Independent Talent, London, UK
- Untitled Entertainment, Beverly Hills, California
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
56.5 kg or 124.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Gillian Anderson has dated –
- Jodie Foster – Gillian is rumored to have had an affair with actress and director-producer, Jodie Foster in the past. They are close friends.
- Clyde Klotz (1994–1997) (Divorced) – She started dating the Canadian assistant art director Clyde Klotz on her show, The X–Files and married him just after a few months of courtship. They got married in a unique ceremony at the 17th hole of a Golf course in Hawaii by a Buddhist priest. But, the marriage did not last long and ended after three years. Her first child was with Clyde. It was an unplanned pregnancy that nearly got her fired from her iconic show for imposing such an inconvenience. But, the makers changed the storyline and worked around it. Gillian was back on the sets 10 days after giving birth to her first child. Daughter Piper Maru was born in September 1994.
- Adrian G. Griffiths (1996–1997) – Another Canadian actor, Gillian met him when he guest starred as Sherman Peacock on The X – Files in 1996. Until about 2010, he was credited as Adrian Hughes in all his acting jobs. Post the divorce, Adrian appeared to be Gillian’s rebound guy and there was talk that the actors were living together in Vancouver where Gillian’s show was shot and produced. The couple became much bigger tabloid news when it was discovered that Adrian was charged with multiple counts of sexual assault which became the obvious reason for Gillian to break up with him quickly thereafter.
- Rodney Rowland (1997–1998) – Gillian had a brief and passionate affair with the former model and actor, popularly known as Rod, who also guest starred on The X-Files, where the two first met. He was by Gillian’s side when she won the Emmy award in 1997 and the two were frequently clicked together by the paparazzi. Unwanted attention and Gillian’s demanding work schedule diminished this relationship as well.
- Julian Ozanne (2002–2007) (Divorced) – Gillian attempted marriage for a second time with Kenya-born, London-based photojournalist and documentary filmmaker Julian. They got married in a private ceremony at Shella Island in London socialite, Kate Barker’s beach house situated right across Kenya’s Indian Ocean coast. Their marriage ended after 16 months owing to their opposing professional ambitions. Julian who was formerly Financial Time’s Africa Bureau chief went on to become a full-time financial consultant. He got a job as the director of a Biofuels company in Hawaii in 2004, while Gillian’s work and personal life was primarily based in London.
- Mark Griffiths (2006–2012) – She had her longest relationship with the British businessman and it helped that he was a non-celebrity. Their split after a six-year relationship was mutual and amicable. After their break-up, Mark retains his role as an active and hands-on father in the lives of his children. Gillian has two sons with Mark: Oscar Griffiths (b. November 2006) and Felix Griffiths (b. October 2008).
- Peter Morgan (2016–Present) – Gillian quietly started dating British film writer and playwright in 2016 and accompanied him to New York to promote his new Netflix series, The Crown. While the couple has tried to maintain a low-profile as far as their relationship is concerned, they are frequently spotted on vacations together.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English, Irish and German ancestry.
- Long face with small sharp nose
- Mole on upper lip
- Translucent light grayish blue eyes
35-26-36 in or 89-66-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 10 (UK) or 38 (EU)
7.5 (US) or 5 (UK) or 38 (EU)
Gillian initiated her career with TV advertisements. Some of which included:
- An extended commercial for a dermatology clinic in 1987.
- Hardee’s commercial in 1990
- Educated the masses about the wonders of Internet back in 1996
- Digital Satellite TV ad (1999)
- Ford Explorer Radio Ad (2002)
- Her most high-profile TV commercial was aired in 2015 in the UK. The 58-second ad created in public interest had several A-list actors running for their life to imply the pressing concern for Cancer.
But, she believes in Buddhist / Spiritual values.
Best Known For
- Playing FBI agent Dana Scully in the American science-fiction series, The X-Files (1993–2002). The show was reprised in 2016 with 6 episodes for the 10th season and 10 episodes were created for the 11th season (2017–2018).
- Her critically acclaimed performance as a socialite, Lilly Bart in The House of Mirth (2000).
- Was the Executive producer and main lead as Detective Superintendent, Stella Gibson in the British-Irish crime drama The Fall from 2013 to 2016 alongside Jamie Dornan who played a serial killer.
After 2 short films in 1986 and 1988, Gillian made her film debut in the 1992 American drama, The Turning.
First TV Show
In 1993, Gillian appeared in one episode as Rachel on Fox drama series Class of 96’.
- Gillian Anderson appears to be genetically blessed as she does not usually feel the need for high-intensity workouts to stay slim.
- She usually takes up Yoga, Tai-Chi, hiking, meditation and occasional running as part of her routine exercise. However, she does hire a personal trainer for conventional strengthening, toning, and cardio for a few weeks of training right before a new role.
- She follows a gluten-free diet and claims discomfort with even a little consumption of wheat. Although her diet is not always 100% on point, she avoids consuming high-carb meals.
- Gillian has denied resorting to any invasive cosmetic procedures to look younger.
Gillian Anderson Favorite Things
- Band (In Her Teens) – Dead Kennedys, Skinny Puppy
- Guilty Pleasure – Drinking Coca-Cola
- Moisturizer – Clinique Moisture Surge Gel
- Makeup Staple – Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer
- Snack – Chili Chocolate, Brand (South Devon Chilli Farm, Mint & Espresso flavors)
- London Activity – Visiting museums and exhibits particularly lesser known ones with her daughter
- Song – You Can’t Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones (1969), Creep by Radiohead (1993)
- Scone – Oat Nut Scones with Maple Frosting from Starbucks, Los Angeles
- Animal Character – Chunky the death tiger from The Croods (2013)
- City – London
- Places Other Than London – Indian cities – Calcutta, Varanasi & Jaipur; Sri Lanka and parts of Africa
- Character Among Her Past Roles – Stella Gibson from The Fall (2013–2016)
- Ice Cream Flavor – Dark Chocolate Gelato with Lemon sorbet on the side
- Co–Star – Donald Sutherland
- TV Show – Friday Night with Jonathan Ross (2001–2010)
- Beauty Cream – Creme de La Mer
- Book – The Elegance Of The Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
- Film – It’s A Wonderful Life (1946), The 400 Blows (1959), 1900 (1976), The Deer Hunter (1978), The Godfather I and II (1972 & 1974), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
- Play – A Streetcar Named Desire (1947)
- Midnight Snack – Chocolate covered rice cakes
- Word – F*ck
- Shops – Waitrose / Ocado (For online food shopping), John Lewis, William Vintage on Marylebone Street for formal evening wear
- Boutique – Viola on Connaught Street
- Theatre – The Young Vic, Lambeth, London
- Restaurants – Ottolenghi in Islington, the Modern Pantry in Clerkenwell
- Place For a First Date – La Fromagerie on Moxon Street in Marylebone
- Place For a Second Date – Odette’s in Primrose Hill
- London Nightclub – Annabel’s, Mayfair, London
- London Discoveries – The Foundling Museum, 5×15 stories, and lectures at The Tabernacle
Source – Wikipedia, New Beauty, Reddit AMA, Twitter, Red Magazine UK, Standard UK
Gillian Anderson Facts
- Gillian aspired to be a marine biologist in her childhood until her father’s vocation introduced her to the possibility of acting as a vocation.
- She was a rebellious teenager who deliberately sported an extreme appearance to make a statement. She wore a nose ring, got a Mohawk hairstyle and frequently dyed her hair in loud colors.
- She was put in therapy at the age of 14 to cope with her bizarre behavior.
- To grow out of her teens, she started dating much older men. In 2012, she revealed she was also in a same-s*x relationship for a very long time in high school.
- Gillian’s high school girlfriend was offered a large sum of money to reveal their intimate photo which was turned down by her. When she expired in 2011 of a brain tumor, Gillian came out and confessed about her high school relationship as a means to honor her ex-girlfriend.
- She used to work at a pub in Chicago called Goose Island Brewpub to make some money while she was still a student. Once Gillian became a famous actress, the pub named a drink after her on their menu.
- She claims to have a command over two dialects and switches between American Midwestern and British accent easily depending upon whether she is in USA or UK.
- Right after finishing her education, Gillian swore she would never move to Los Angeles and never work on TV: the two things that eventually gave her career the biggest head start.
- In 1996, FHM (UK) ranked her as the sexiest woman in the world.
- In 1997, Gillian won a Screen Actor’s Guild Award, an Emmy and a Golden Globe for playing Dana Scully in The X–Files.
- She is an avid patron and collector of art pieces and invests a lot of money in support of European and American artists. Her main area of interest lies in paintings, photography, and lithography.
- Gillian also has a very keen interest in architecture and interior design. She switches homes every few years and sees each house as a personal project to upgrade in structure and style before putting it back on the market.
- She identifies herself as a feminist and has a low tolerance for derogatory behavior towards women.
- In 2008, Anderson co-founded a non-profit organization called South African Youth Education for Sustainability (SAYes) that mentors marginalized young people in South Africa.
- She is a spokesperson for several charitable trusts, networks, and foundations which particularly work towards raising money for people afflicted with Neurofibromatosis, a disease that killed her brother.
- Gillian actively supports Women’s Rights by aligning with Feminist Majority Foundation (FMF), Children’s Rights by being a patron of Childreach International, Indigenous Rights for Tribals in Africa and Latin America, Animal Rights by associating with PETA and finally, jumped in favor of environmental advocacy by joining Greenpeace in 2012.
- In 2016, Gillian was bestowed with the most excellent order of the British Empire (OBE) for her services to the dramatic arts.
- She was offered to pose n*de for the cover of Playboy magazine which she declined.
- Gillian is bad with technology and has a team of experts helping her with her social media accounts.
- She is known to have four tattoos on her body and shared her intention to get inked for the fifth time in 2015. Only 3 of her tattoos are visibly known which are: a circle on left hand, a Hindi word on the inside of her right wrist and a Tahitian symbol of two entwined tortoises on her ankle.
- She begins every day with a few minutes of meditation without fail.
- To know more about the actress visit her site @ gilliananderson.ws.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.