|Gladys Knight Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||May 28, 1944|
Gladys Knight is an American singer, songwriter, actress, businesswoman, and author who is best known for her work with her family-based musical group Gladys Knight & the Pips in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s. As of February 2021, she had won 7 Grammy Awards and had been inducted into both the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’ and the ‘Vocal Group Hall of Fame’. In 1995, she had received a star on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Gladys Maria Knight
The Empress of Soul
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
North Carolina, United States
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Businesswoman, Author
- Father – Merald Woodlow Knight Sr. (Postal Worker)
- Mother – Sarah Elizabeth Knight (née Woods)
- Siblings – Brenda Knight (Older Sister), Merald Woodlow ‘Bubba’ Knight, Jr. (Older Brother) (Singer), David Knight (Brother) (Deceased)
- Others – Aaliyah (Ex-Niece-in-Law) (Singer, Actress, Model), Kathleen Knight (Sister-in-Law), Samuel Lee Knight (Paternal Grandfather), Sallie Merritt (Paternal Grandmother), Bee Woods (Maternal Grandfather), Susie Carlisle (Maternal Grandmother), Mamie Brown (Ex-Mother-in-Law) (Former Cafeteria Attendant), Wesley Brown (Ex-Brother-in-Law), William Guest (Cousin) (Singer) (d. December 24, 2015), Edward Patten (Cousin) (Singer) (d. February 25, 2005), Eleanor Guest (Cousin) (Musician)
She is represented by –
- Ken Ashley, Booking Agent, CAA (Creative Artists Agency), Los Angeles, California, United States
- Laura Herlovich, PR Agent, PR Plus, Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada, United States
R&B, Soul, Pop, Gospel, Jazz
- Vee-Jay Records
- Motown Records
- Buddah Records
- Columbia Records
- MCA Records
- K-tel International
- PolyGram N.V.
- Curb Records
- Rhino Entertainment Company
- Hip-O Records
- BMG Heritage Records
- Sony Music BMG Entertrainment
- Legacy Recordings
- Many Roads
- Verve Records
- Shadow Mountain
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gladys has dated –
- James Newman (1958–1964) – Gladys had started dating musician James ‘Jimmy’ Newman in 1958 and they got married in 1960 when Gladys was just 16. They had 2 children together – a son named James ‘Jimmy’ Gaston Newman III (b. August 13, 1962) (d. July 10, 1999) and a daughter named Kenya Maria Newman (b. 1963) (Businessperson). James later became a drug addict and had abandoned the family in 1964.
- Barry Hankerson (1967-1979) – Gladys had started dating record producer and manager Barry Hankerson in 1967 and they got married in October 1974. They have a son together named Shanga Ali Hankerson (b. August 1, 1976) (Entrepreneur). They had parted ways in 1979, after more than 2 decades of relationship.
- Les Brown (1993–1997) – Gladys began dating motivational speaker and former TV host Leslie Calvin ‘Les’ Brown in 1993. They got married in August 1995 but got divorced in 1997.
- William McDowell (2000-Present) – Gladys had started dating William McDowell in 2000 and they got married on April 12, 2001.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of African-American descent.
- Petite frame
- Neck-length, frizzy hair
- Radiant face
Gladys Knight Facts
- In 1952, aged 8, she had won The Original Amateur Hour, a contest-based TV show.
- As of February 2021, she had recorded 2 ‘No. 1’ ‘Billboard Hot 100′ singles, 11 ‘No. 1’ R&B singles, and 6 ‘No. 1’ R&B albums.
- 2 of her songs – I Heard It Through the Grapevine and Midnight Train to Georgia – have been inducted into the ‘Grammy Hall of Fame’.
- In 2017, she had helped raise USD 400k for the ‘Children’s Learning Centers’ of Fairfield County.
Featured Image by Gladys Knight / Instagram