|Grigor Dimitrov Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 16, 1991|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Grigor Dimitrov is a Bulgarian tennis professional player who was ranked world’s #3 male tennis player in November 2017 by ATP. He is the first Bulgarian tennis player who has achieved the top 10 ATP singles ranking. Also, he has won more than $15 million prize money, making him the first Bulgarian professional tennis player to achieve this feat. In junior tennis career, he was the #1 tennis player.
Grisho, Baby Fed, G-Force, PT (Prime Time)
Monte Carlo, Monaco
In 2008, Grigor Dimitrov moved to Paris and got enrolled in a course at Patrick Mouratoglou’s Tennis Academy to hone his skills.
Previously, he had trained at the Sánchez-Casal Academy under the tutelage of Emilio Sánchez and Pato Álvarez in Barcelona. He had joined the academy at the age of 15.
Professional tennis player
- Father – Dimitar Dimitrov (Tennis Coach)
- Mother – Maria Dimitrov (Former Volleyball Coach and Sports Teacher)
- Siblings – He is the only child.
Grigor Dimitrov is represented by Team8 (Sports Management Company).
Right-Handed (One-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Grigor Dimitrov has dated
- Simona Stefanova (2008-2012) – In 2008, Grigor started dating Simona Stefanova, a fellow Bulgarian tennis player. They were pretty open about their relationship and Simona was often seen cheering him as he sought to gain a foothold in the professional tennis. They dated for about 4 years before going separate ways in the summer of 2012.
- Serena Williams (2012) – Just after his separation from Stefanova, Dimitrov hooked up with tennis star Serena Williams. But their affair didn’t last long and it seemed the separation was acrimonious as she indirectly called him a guy with a black heart in her interview with Rolling Stones. In fact, it has been often claimed that Maria Sharapova’s relationship with Dimitrov served as a flashing point in a feud between the leading women tennis stars.
- Maria Sharapova (2012-2015) – Grigor started dating Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova in the last months of 2012. But they didn’t publicly confirm their relationship until the end of the 2013 Madrid Open, where he managed to secure his first victory over world #1 Novak Djokovic. They split in June 2015.
- Nicole Scherzinger (2015-2019) – As per reports, the Bulgarian star started dating singer and TV personality, Nicole Scherzinger, towards the end of 2015. They made their relationship eventually public in January 2016. In May 2016, it was claimed that their relationship was on rocks. It was claimed that their busy work schedules had made it difficult for them to spend time together. Plus, he wasn’t able to support her in a couple of personal matters due to his ’round the world’ tennis career. But, soon after, they were again seen together. They had reportedly got engaged, which turned out to be just a rumor. Some sections of the press had also focused on their 13 years age difference. They continued to make on and off public appearances throughout 2017 and the subsequent months of 2018 but in 2019, they called it quits.
Race / Ethnicity
- Prominent nose
- Strong and heavy jawline
Grigor Dimitrov has appeared in a TV commercial for a range of tennis products from Wilson Sporting Goods.
He has also done endorsement work for Outside the Ball.
He has also been featured alongside Maria Sharapova in a TV commercial for Nike.
He has also endorsed Rolex.
Best Known For
Being the most successful Bulgarian male tennis player. He is the first and the only Bulgarian player to have won an ATP title in the singles category. He is also the first Bulgarian player to have reached the doubles final.
First Tennis Match
Dimitrov started his professional tennis career in 2008. His first ATP level match was against Igor Andreev at the Ordina Open. However, he failed to win the match and went down in straight sets.
First TV Show
Apart from the telecast of the tennis matches and various tennis tournaments, Grigor Dimitrov hasn’t appeared on any TV show.
In the off-season, Dimitrov works hard in the gym in Monte Carlo to prepare for the upcoming season. His off-season workout regime is very dynamic and includes several different components and training philosophies. They use bands for the Isometric training, which strengthens muscles. The functional training exercises also form an important part of the workout. For the functional training, they rely on the machine as well as free weight exercises.
Another important part of his workout regime is core strengthening. The core power is especially important for the tennis players as it plays a key role in generating power in the shots. He also works on his flexibility and agility. Before he starts his tennis drills, he performs a number of sprints. The cardio is usually done indoors in the gym on the treadmill and stair climbing machine.
Grigor Dimitrov Favorite Things
- Movie – The Notebook (2004)
- Dream Player For Doubles Or Mixed Doubles – John McEnroe and Maria Sharapova
- Tournament – Wimbledon
- Actor, He Would Like To Play Him In The Movie – Johnny Depp
- Off-Court Style – Bohemian and grungy style
- Tennis Style Icons – Andre Agassi
- Colors – Red and Black
- Goto Meal – In-N-Out burgers
- New York City Spot – Central Park
- Idols – Roger Federer and Pete Sampras
- Musician – Lil Wayne
Grigor Dimitrov Facts
- He has collaborated with Nike to launch his exclusive clothing line by the name of Court. It has been inspired by the former rebellious players such as Andre Agassi and John McEnroe.
- He got his first racket at the age of 3. It was gifted by his mother. By the age of 5, he was playing regularly.
- He secured his first big success by winning the U14 European title at the age of 14. He later won the prestigious Orange Bowl U16 boys singles as well.
- In 2008, he managed to win the Junior Wimbledon Cup despite battling a shoulder injury throughout the tournament.
- When he started focusing on tennis, he was coached by his father Dimitar Dimitrov at the Tennis Club in their hometown of Haskovo.
- He holds the distinction of being the first and the only Bulgarian player to be featured in the top 10 ATP Singles ranking.
- He is the first Bulgarian professional tennis player to have earned US $1 million and as well as the US $10 million prize money.
- Visit his official website @ grigor-dimitrov.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+.
Featured Image by Kate / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0