|J Balvin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||May 7, 1985|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
J Balvin is a Colombian singer, songwriter, rapper, and record producer who has established himself as one of the best-selling Latin music artists with sales of more than 35 million records (albums and singles) worldwide. Credited as the “leader of a second-generation reggaeton” by the Guinness World Records, he has won at least 5 Billboard Latin Music Awards, 4 Latin Grammy Awards, 2 MTV Video Music Awards, and 4 Latin American Music Awards while having received 2 Grammy Award nominations as of October 2020. Some of his globally acclaimed songs and albums include Mi Gente (with Willy William), La Familia, Colores, Ay Vamos, Safari (ft. Pharrell Williams, BIA, and Sky), and Hey Ma (with Pitbull featuring Camila Cabello).
José Álvaro Osorio Balvin
J Balvin, El Negocio, The Business, The Businessman, Príncipe del Reggaetón (English: Prince of Reggaeton)
Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
J Balvin went to a good high school in Medellín. In fact, he came to the US as part of the school exchange program at the age of 18. As part of the exchange program, he stayed in the tiny Oklahoma town.
Singer, songwriter, rapper, and record producer
- Father – José Álvaro Osorio Balvin (Economist and business owner)
- Mother – Alba Balvin (Studied Medicine)
- Siblings – Caroline Balvin (Younger Sister)
J Balvin was represented by his father José Álvaro Osorio.
Reggaeton, Hip Hop, Latin Pop, Urbano
Capitol Latin, Universal Music Group, Infinity Music
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
J Balvin has dated –
- María Osorio
- Nastassja Bolívar – It is speculated that he had a fling with Nicaraguan-American actress, TV Host, and beauty queen Nastassja Bolívar in the past.
- Diana Osorio – J Balvin met Colombian actress Diana Osorio through mutual friends in 2003. Balvin has mostly kept his relationship under the wraps. In 2011, they had broken up as Diana felt the relationship wasn’t moving further ahead. The breakup was amicable with Diana living in his house. However, about two months later, they had reconciled. Moreover, Balvin had finally gone down on the knee and had proposed to his girlfriend. Despite getting engaged, they hadn’t set a wedding date. Due to his inclination to keep his private life away from the spotlight, it is not known whether they are still together.
- Alejandra Buitrago (2011-2015) – He was romantically involved with model and TV personality Alejandra Buitrago between 2011 and 2015.
- Ana Bekoa (2016) – In 2016, it was rumored that he hooked up with glamor model Ana Bekoa.
- Erika Csiszer (2017) – There were rumors that Balvin had a fling with Venezuelan television personality Erika Csiszer in 2017.
- Karol G (2017) – J Balvin was rumored to be dating Colombian singer Karol G as they used to often share their pictures on social media. However, nothing about their alleged romance was confirmed.
- Valentina Ferrer (2017-Present) – He started dating Argentinean model Valentina Ferrer in 2017 after they met on the set of the music video of Sigo Extranandote. In April 2021, the couple announced that they were expecting their first child together. They welcomed a baby boy in June 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Colombian descent.
- Ear studs
- Distinct Latino look
J Balvin has lucrative endorsement deals with –
- Buchanan’s Whisky
Best Known For
- Having collaborated with leading artists such as Robin Thicke and Maroon 5 for remixes of their songs.
- Being one of the leading proponents of the Reggaeton music style.
In May 2010, he released his debut studio album Real.
First TV Show
In 2014, Balvin was first seen in the musical series Taking on America as himself.
J Balvin regularly hits the gym to keep his lean body in shape. He lays special focus on weight lifting exercises to tone up his muscles and trains different body parts per day. Additionally, he does a variety of body-weight exercises such as pushups and core work.
J Balvin Favorite Things
- Prized Possession – His dog Enzo
- Most Memorable Christmas Gift – Guitar, which he got from his father as a kid.
- Biggest Indulgence – Clothes
- Superhero – Ironman
- Greatest Fear – Being alone and failure
- Desert Island Album – Cultura Profetica or Anything by The Weeknd
Source – Billboard
J Balvin Facts
- In August 2016, he was involved in an accident as the small plane, he was traveling in from The Bahamas crashed after taking off. He escaped the accident without any serious injury.
- Due to the immense pressure of being a popular singer, he has struggled with anxiety and depression problems. He also has had to endure panic attacks.
- In 2012, he checked into a relaxation retreat in Thailand to deal with his mental problems. He underwent therapy and meditation sessions there.
- Due to his family’s precarious financial position, he used to sell stuff including t-shirts and candies just after school in his late teens before going to the US on an exchange program.
- During his student exchange stay, he was practically kidnapped by the woman who was hosting him. She took away his passport, barred him from using the internet, and asked his high school not to allow him to use computers.
- During his struggling days in Miami, he used to paint houses during the day to keep himself financially afloat.
- He started his music career in Medellin by selling his music CDs on the streets. He used to burn CDs on his own and paste his homemade stickers on it.
- He fired his father from the position of his manager after he forced Balvin to perform at the concert despite him suffering from panic and anxiety attacks.
- In November 2020, J Balvin revealed that at one point in time, he was suffering from depression and anxiety. He took medication for it from a doctor.
- In September 2021, J Balvin released the live performance video of his song, Fantasías.
- In October 2021, J Balvin’s music video for Perra was removed from YouTube after it created controversy due to the disrespectful depiction of black women. He had collaborated with model Tokischa in the music video. Later, he apologized for hurting people’s sentiments.
- J Balvin supports the Lil Heroes NFT project on OpenSea which features 7,777 unique pieces. Addison Rae has also partnered with this project.
- In March 2022, J Balvin and Ed Sheeran teamed up for 2 new singles titled Sigue and Forever My Love.