|GZA Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 22, 1966|
GZA is an American rapper and songwriter who is best known as a founding member of the hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan. Regarded as the group’s “spiritual head”, he is the oldest member of the group as well as became the first one in the group to receive a record deal. Wu-Tang Clan was called “the best rap group ever” by Kris Ex of Rolling Stone and the group’s discography consists of several albums and songs like A Better Tomorrow, The W, Wu-Tang Clan Ain’t Nuthing ta F’ Wit, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Can It Be All So Simple, 8 Diagrams, Gravel Pit, Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, Wu-Tang Forever, Iron Flag, Protect Ya Neck, The Heart Gently Weeps, Triumph, Family Reunion, Back in the Game, and Take It Back. As a solo artist, GZA has released multiple albums and tracks such as Beneath the Surface, Liquid Swords, Pass the Bone, Legend of the Liquid Sword, Fame, Words from the Genius, Pro Tools, Who’s Your Rhymin’ Hero, I Gotcha Back, General Principles (with DJ Muggs), Cold World (ft. Inspectah Deck), Shadowboxin’ (ft. Method Man), Crash Your Crew (ft. Ol’ Dirty Bastard), and Breaker, Breaker.
Gary Earl Grice
GZA, Maximillion, Justice, The Genius
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
GZA dropped out of school in the 10th grade.
- Others – RZA (Real name Robert Diggs) (Cousin) (Rapper, Record Producer, Musician, Actor, Filmmaker, Author), Ol’ Dirty Bastard (real name: Russell Jones) (Cousin) (Rapper, Producer)
GZA has been represented by –
- United Talent Agency
- Greater Talent Network
- Cold Chillin’
- Angeles Records
His net worth has been $18 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 11½ in or 181.5 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Buzzcut hairdo
- Trimmed goatee
Best Known For
- Being the founding member of the rap group Wu-Tang Clan, which is regarded as one of the most influential hip-hop groups
- Being one of the finest hip-hop lyricists. His lyrics are praised for the smooth flow and sharp metaphors.
- The commercial success of his studio album, Beneath the Surface, which managed to reach the very top of the US R&B album charts. The album was certified ‘Platinum’ as well.
In February 1991, he released his debut studio album, Words from the Genius.
His first studio album with Wu-Tang Clan was Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), released in November 1993.
In 2003, he made his theatrical film debut in the music drama movie, Coffee and Cigarettes.
First TV Show
In 2003, GZA made his first TV show appearance as himself in the comedy series, Chappelle’s Show.
GZA Favorite Things
- Restaurant In New York – Zen Palate, Vegetarian Paradise, GoBo
- Cuisine – Indian, Thai
- Thai Restaurant In New York – Tamarind
- Tea – Tazo, Honest Tea
- Track From “Liquid Swords” – Duel of the Iron Mic
- Wrestler – Bruno Sammartino
Source – Eater, Wax Poetics, Village Voice
- He is the oldest member of the hip-hop group, Wu-Tang Clan.
- He holds the distinction of being the first member of the Wu-Tang Clan to sign a solo record deal.
- An analysis of the lyrics of his songs has revealed that he has the 2nd largest vocabulary in the hip-hop industry.
- GZA developed an interest in hip-hop in the early 70s while attending block parties.
- Early in his teens, he had a keen interest in graffiti, DJing, and breakdance.
- He collaborated with his cousins RZA and Ol’ Dirty Bastard to form a rap group, FOI: Force of the Imperial Master. They later renamed their group “All in Together”.
- After the release of his debut album in 1991, he got in a dispute with Easy Mo Bee as he believed that his album wasn’t promoted enough and his experience while touring hadn’t been good as well.
- On November 7, 1995, he released his 2nd solo studio album Liquid Swords via Geffen Records and the Chicago Tribune cited it as “one of the most substantial lyrical journeys in hip-hop history” in 2007. Also, the album was certified ‘Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
- In his early struggling days, he worked as a bicycle messenger.
- Despite having dropped out of school early to focus on his rap career, he has retained a keen interest in science. He was even invited to give a lecture at Harvard University in 2010.
- To seek inspiration and content for his studio album Dark Matter, he visited leading institutes such as Oxford, MIT, NYU, and USC. He sat down for a discussion with noted astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson in 2012, to get more content for his upcoming album.
- In 2012, he collaborated with the website Rap Genius and Columbia University‘s professor Christopher Emdin to create a program known as Science Genius B.A.T.T.L.E.S. The program aimed to encourage high school students to take interest in science with the use of hip-hop.
- His 5th studio album Pro Tools was released on August 19, 2008, and it peaked at number #2 on the US Independent Albums (Billboard) chart and at number #9 on the US Top Rap Albums (Billboard) chart.
- In 2008, the About website declared GZA’s rap group, the no. 1 greatest hip hop group of all time.
Featured Image by Mika-photography / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0