|Harry Belafonte Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 1, 1927|
|Date of Death||April 25, 2023|
Harry Belafonte was an American singer, songwriter, activist, and actor who was regarded as one of the most successful Jamaican-American pop stars in history. In addition to that, he also established himself as a talented actor by having been cast in movies like Island in the Sun, Uptown Saturday Night, BlacKkKlansman, and White Man’s Burden.
Harold George Bellanfanti Jr.
Harry, Harold George Belafonte Jr., Harry Bellanfanti Jr., The King of Calypso
Harry Belafonte was born on March 1, 1927.
Harry Belafonte passed away at the age of 96 on April 25, 2023, in Manhattan, New York, United States due to congestive heart failure.
Lying-in Hospital, Harlem, New York City, New York, United States
Harry Belafonte attended institutions including Wolmer’s Schools and George Washington High School. Later, he got enrolled at the Dramatic Workshop of The New School in New York.
Singer, Songwriter, Activist, Actor
- Father – Harold George Bellanfanti Sr. (Chef)
- Mother – Melvine (née Love) (Housekeeper)
- Siblings – Dennis Belafonte (Brother)
- Others – William Alexander Love (Maternal Grandfather), Sarah Jane Clarke/Clark (Maternal Grandmother), Rachel Blue (Granddaughter), Malena Belafonte (Daughter-In-Wife) (Former Model, Singer, Performer, Producer, Entrepreneur, Creative Director), Brian (Grandson), Maria (Granddaughter), Sarafina (Granddaughter), Amadeus (Grandson)
Harry Belafonte was represented by –
- Equitable Stewardship for Artists, Talent Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- United Support of Artists for Africa, Inc., Company, Los Angeles, California, United States
Calypso, Pop, Folk, World
Vocals, Guitar, Drums
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Harry Belafonte had dated –
- Dianne Reeves
- Miriam Makeba
- Dorian Leigh Parker
- Marguerite Byrd (1948-1957) – The duo was blessed with 2 daughters named Adrienne and Shari Belafonte (b. September 22, 1954).
- Julie Robinson (1957-2004) – He got married to former dancer Julie Robinson on March 8, 1957, and they have 2 children – a son named David and a daughter named Gina. Harry and Julie Robinson divorced in 2004.
- Joan Collins (1957) – Rumor
- Inger Stevens (1959-1960)
- Pamela Frank (2008-2023)
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White and Black)
Harry Belafonte was of Sephardi Jewish and African-Jamaican descent on his father’s side and had African-Jamaican and Irish-Scottish roots on his mother’s side.
- Widow’s peak hairline
Harry Belafonte Facts
- He served in the US Navy during World War II.
- Harry Belafonte released his debut album, Mark Twain and Other Folk Favorites, in 1954.
- In 1956, his 3rd studio album, Calypso, was released which topped the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart and was certified “Gold” by RIAA.
- He was friends with the Cuban communist revolutionary and politician, Fidel Castro.
- In 1987, Harry started serving as the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
- In 1996, Harry Belafonte was diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- In 2002, he was honored by Africare with the Bishop John T. Walker Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award for his efforts to assist Africa.
- He was awarded the Domestic Human Rights Award in San Francisco in 2004.
- Harry was named a Grand Marshal of the New York City Pride Parade in 2013.
- Harry was on the board of directors of the Advancement Project.
- In February 2013, he was honored with the NAACP‘s Spingarn Medal.
- In 2017, he served as an honorary co-chair of the Women’s March on Washington.
- In 2022, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Flickr / CC BY 2.0