|Hugh Dancy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||June 19, 1975|
Hugh Dancy is a talented English actor and a former model. He is known for his roles in Elizabeth I, The Big C, Hannibal, Deadline Gallipoli, The Path, Trial & Retribution, The New Adventures of Robin Hood, Dangerfield, Black Hawk Down, King Arthur, Ella Enchanted, Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction, Evening, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Adam, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return, The Jane Austen Book Club, Hysteria, and Young Blades. Hugh has been the face of Burberry men’s fashion campaign and has over 400k followers on Facebook.
Hugh Michael Horace Dancy
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
New York City, New York, United States
Hugh Dancy studied at Edenhurst Preparatory School in Newcastle-under-Lyme. Then, he was enrolled in boarding school at the Dragon School in Oxford after which he joined the Winchester College.
Later, he attended St Peter’s College in Oxford and graduated with a major in English.
Actor, Former Model
- Father – Jonathan Dancy (Philosophy Professor at the University of Reading and University of Texas at Austin)
- Mother – Sarah Ann Dancy (née Birley) (Works in Academic Publishing)
- Siblings – Jack Dancy (Younger Brother) (Co-director of Trufflepig Travel), Katharine Sarah Redman (Younger Sister)
- Others – John H.C. Dancy (Paternal Grandfather), Horace John Dancy (Paternal Great-Grandfather), Naomi Tribe (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Florence Angela Dawn Bryant (Paternal Grandmother), Charles Leslie Bryant (Paternal Great-Grandfather), Florence Olive Boot (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Michael Pellew Birley (Maternal Grandfather), Norman Pellew Birley (Maternal Great-Grandfather), Eileen Alice Morgan (Maternal Great-Grandmother), Ann Grover Street (Maternal Grandmother), James Martineau Street (Maternal Great-Grandfather), Katharine Haydon (Maternal Great-Grandmother)
Hugh Dancy is managed by Dallas Smith, Agent, United Agents LLP, London, United Kingdom.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Hugh Dancy has dated –
- Annie Morris (1997-2007) – In 1997, Hugh started a relationship with artist Annie Morris. However, they separated in 2007.
- Anne Hathaway (2002-2004) – From 2002 to 2004, Hugh was in a relationship with actress Anne Hathaway. They also acted together in the film, Ella Enchanted (2004).
- Claire Danes (2007-Present) – In 2007, Hugh started dating actress Claire Danes while filming Evening (2007) in Newport, Rhode Island. After dating for a while, they announced their engagement in February 2009. The same year in September, Hugh and Claire secretly tied the knot in France amidst close friends and family members. They are blessed with 2 sons, Cyrus Michael Christopher Dancy (born December 17, 2012) and a second son born on August 27, 2018. In January 2023, the couple revealed that they were expecting their 3rd child together.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Welsh, and Scottish ancestry.
- Sharp jawline
- Curly hair
- Pointed chin
In 2004, he became the face for Burberry men’s fashion campaign.
Best Known For
- His versatile roles in TV series and films including Elizabeth I (2005) as Earl of Essex, Hannibal (2013–2015) as Will Graham, The Big C (2011) as Lee Fallon, Deadline Gallipoli (2015) as Ellis Ashmead Bartlett, Black Hawk Down (2001) as Sfc. Kurt Schmid, King Arthur (2004) as Galahad, Ella Enchanted (2004) as Prince Charmont, Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009) as Luke Brandon, Adam (2009) as Adam Raki, and Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) as Ted
In 2001, he made his theatrical film debut as D’Artagnan in the action adventure film, Young Blades.
In 2013, he made his theatrical film debut as a voice actor by voicing the character of Marshal Mallow in the animated adventure film, Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return.
First TV Show
In 1998, he made his first TV show appearance as Roberto Bellini in the mystery crime drama series, Trial & Retribution.
In 2016, he made his TV show debut as a voice actor by providing vocals to several characters in the animated action comedy series, Robot Chicken.
Hugh Dancy Favorite Things
- TV Show – The Wire (2002-2008)
- Word – Sesquipedalian (which means the unnecessary use of long words)
Source – IMDb, The Guardian
Hugh Dancy Facts
- He grew up in Newcastle-under-Lyme but also lived briefly in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania when he was a child.
- At age 13, he accidentally stumbled into acting while serving a punishment for misbehavior at the school theater.
- While at the Winchester College, he took part in the production of Twelfth Night and performed in Winchester and the Minack Theatre in Cornwall.
- At St Peter’s College, Oxford, he was taught English by poet and playwright Francis Warner.
- For his role as medic Kurt “Doc” Schmid in the film Black Hawk Down (2001), he took lessons from Ranger medics in combat scenarios.
- He has modeled for Burberry “country house” campaign.
- He shares a wonderful friendship with Sienna Miller and Ewan McGregor.
- His siblings Jack and Kate both live in France.
- During his initial days as an actor in London, he did odd jobs like working as a waiter and bartender.
- He initially auditioned to play the main cast Hannibal Lecter in the film Hannibal Rising (2007). However, he later played the role of Will Graham, Hannibal Lecter’s nemesis, in the TV series, Hannibal (2013-2015).
- In all the episodes of Hannibal from 2013 to 2015, “Hannibal: Antipasto (2015)” was the only episode where he made no appearance.
- Apart from Hannibal (2013-2015), he and Mads Mikkelsen also starred together in the film, King Arthur (2004).
- His fascination for collecting fake hands began after seeing several sets of wooden hands on a film set.
- In college, he was voted both “Prettiest Boy” and “Prettiest Girl”.
- He is known to have singing skills.
- His idea of perfect happiness is being in the west coast of Ireland with a well-poured pint of Guinness.
- He fears snakes and destitution.
- The trait he deplores the most in himself is laziness.
- The trait he deplores the most in others is pretentiousness.
- His most unappealing habit is knowing everything.
- The one thing that he dislikes about his appearance is his “sticky-out ears”.
- His way of relaxing is reading in a hot bath with a drink in one hand.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger would play him in the movie of his life.
- He reckons the ending to the first series of Lost (2004-2010) to be the biggest disappointment.
- He recounts his happiest moment to be at age 18 in Cornwall, participating in the open-air theatre play and falling in love.
- Hugh believes that a 1970s open-top Mercedes would improve the quality of his life.
- He wants the song “Short People” by Randy Newman to be played at his funeral.
- He wants to be remembered as someone who ‘made a mean fish pie’.
- Follow Hugh Dancy on Facebook.
Featured Image by Alotofmillion / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0