|Iga Świątek Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 31, 2001|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
Iga Świątek is a Polish professional tennis player who won the Grand Slam singles title at the 2020 French Open by defeating American professional tennis player Sofia Kenin. Her victory at the event also made her the youngest singles champion at the tournament since Rafael Nadal in 2005 as well as the youngest women’s singles champion since Monica Seles in 1992.
Iga Świątek received her training at Mera Warsaw and then at Legia Warsaw.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Tomasz Świątek (A rower who competed in the men’s quadruple sculls event at the 1988 Seoul Olympics)
- Sibling – Agata Świątek (Older Sister) (Former Athlete, Dentist)
Iga Świątek is represented by the Women’s Tennis Association.
Right-handed (Two-handed Backhand)
She has been coached by Piotr Sierzputowski.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Light Brown (Natural)
- All-court playing style
- Aggressive player
She has done endorsement work for brands like Nike, Asics, Red Bull, and Lexus.
In March 2023, Iga was announced as the brand ambassador of the Swiss-based sportswear brand On.
Iga Świątek Favorite Things
- Surface – Clay
Source – Wikimedia
Iga Świątek Facts
- It was her father’s dream for his daughters to excel as athletes and wanted them to take up individual sports rather than a team sport to have better control of their chances of success.
- Iga started playing tennis in order to be more like her older sister and also to beat her at the game. However, her sister eventually gave up the sport due to injury troubles.
- She won back-to-back $60K titles at the NEK Ladies Open in Hungary and the Montreux Ladies Open in Switzerland in 2018 during the 2 weeks of the US Open.
- Her first WTA breakthrough was made at the Ladies Open Lugano in April 2019 and she finished runner-up to Polona Hercog in three sets.
- In 2019, she won the WTA Fan Favorite Shot of the Year and was ranked 2nd to Simona Halep in the WTA Fan Favorite Singles Player of the Year award.
- Iga Świątek once described her style of play on clay as “a big serve, topspin, and backhand down the line”.
- In June 2022, Iga Swiatek defeated 18-year-old Coco Gauff in the 2022 Roland Garros women’s singles final to win her 2nd French Open title.
- After winning her 2nd French Open title in June 2022, she was asked by a media reporter if she wears makeup while going out at parties, to which, she replied, no. In her own words, “Well, I’m not using makeup like really often. I honestly just learned how to do makeup like six months ago.”
- In September 2022, Iga won US Open 2022 by defeating world #5 player Ons Jabeur in the women’s singles. With this win, she became the first-ever woman from Poland to win the US Open title. This was her 3rd career Grand Slam win. Before this, she had won the French Open 2020 and 2022 titles.
- In January 2023, Iga was eliminated from Australian Open 2023 after she lost in straight sets by 4-6, 4-6 to Elena Rybakina in the fourth round.
Featured Image by si.robi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0
I am overwhelmed by the success of IGA SWIATEK at such a young age ! I thought her first Grand SLAM win at ROLAND GARROS in 2020 was a fluke( One Hit Wonder)like so many tennis players before her but her success this season with 5 wins before this current 2022 French Open and the record winning matches and her NUMBER 1 ranking unshaken have all proved that TALENT & HARD WORK + exceptional quality can all lead to a high level of professional sport ! I hope IGA can maintain her same work attitude and overall demeanor for many successes awaiting her professional tennis career !
74 year old FAN FROM SINGAPORE
I very much enjoyed watching her play at the U.S. Open today!! What a superstar!! May she win many more tourni’s !!!
Iga is my idol lady tennis player now. She plays offensive tennis. Both forehand and backhand are powerful. Very good placement and has the exact mental toughness. So keep it up! She is also very calm and not showy. No tantroms.